2000 Chevrolet Corvette = owned!

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
I know it might not seem like *much* of race considering I'm running a T78, but it's just on the Lex/550 combo...basically, "untuned"...don't have the ability to lean out the mixture to produce more power...yet. :evil2:

My car:
- 7M-GTE
- T78-29D turbo
- 14psi
- SSauto header
- 50mm wastegate
- PTE 550cc injectors
- Lexus AFM
- Greddy Profec-B
- 3" exhaust
- 5 spd.
- 4.30 rear-end

His car:
- Possibly intake and exhaust (unsure on the intake part)
- Automatic
- Coupe

My friend had just picked his car up this past Friday and was back in town that evening. I really wanted to see the car because I've never, ever sat in a 'Vette...which is strange considering I've been a Chevrolet fan since the day I've been conceived (must be in my father's genes... :naughty: ). Anyways, long story short, I *still* haven't sat in it...but I did get to run him a few times.

*DISCLAIMER: All runs were performed on a secure, safe track...proper equipment worn, proper insurances procured...yadda, yadda, yadda...*

*Also, I apologize for the lack of paragraphs in the first commentary...want to keep it as suspenseful as possible... ;) *

Now...onto the good stuff!

Our first run was performed via rolling start @ ~80km/h...I was in 3rd gear (I believe RPMs were ~3.7-3.8k)...I think he was in 3rd as well...

We were rolling beside each other, he yells go and we both hammer down on the throttle...well...boost kicks in *hard* at 4k with the T78 gushing out 14psi of intercooled fury, rocketing the 7m (and its driver!) to its redline destination...the Corvette's auto kicks down into 2nd and its quad-tipped exhaust snarls mightily as the V8 is throttled to the floor...but wait, what's this?? Try and try as it might, the V8 just can't move the Vette's nose past the Supra's...in fact, it's falling behind...and fast! As I approach redline (damn thing is set too low for this turbo! Argh!!), the Vette's front end becomes parallel with my rear tires...BAM...I slam it into 4th...PSSSSSSSSSH goes the T78, blasting to 14psi once again (fuck, I love this thing!)...Vette fades even further...a good car back now...redline is coming, redling is coming...Clutch, Shift, Gas...5th now...14psi again (such beautiful number, isn't it?)...the Vette is falling behind even further and faster than ever...at least 3 cars back...phew...gotta shut her down as I'm approaching ridiculous speeds and the Vette won't be able to make up the ground that its already lost so quickly ( :evil2: )...and, well, gas is expensive these days... :D

I promptly slowed down to see his expression...to my surprise he had a smile on his face and gave me (and the black beast, no doubt!) a round of applause as he drove by.

The next run was from a dig (I hate these with the T78). Needless to say, I need practice launching my car...Slipping the clutch from 4k and I still spin through first... :( Damn auto Vettes...blast their traction control and loading up the torque-covertor ability!! He kicked my ass off the line and all the way through 1st and 2nd (I made up a ton of ground in 3rd and 4th...and then passed him in 5th... :D)

Finally, we went from a 30km/h roll (which I knew I wouldn't do well in the first place as I only build ~4psi by redline in 1st). Anyways, at 30km/h I was at ~3.5k in 1st, about 1-1.2k away from building any real, usable boost. As you guessed it, it was the same as the run from a dig...through 1st and 2nd he handed my ass on a silver platter, but I made up ground again in 3rd and 4th, then passed him around the beginning of 5th.

All in all, it was a great time...I was finally able to test the car against a worthy opponent. I'm sure our 1/4 mile times are fairly close (within 2-4 tenths of each other), but I'm willing to bet his 60' is much lower than mine and my trap speed is a fair bit higher than his.

Hope you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed typing it. :biglaugh:

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Was just a regular Corvette AFAIK...345HP, 350ft/lb from what I've read...although he is ~400lbs lighter than me!

EDIT: I'm an idiot, it IS a C5. lol

Last edited:

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Thanks for the comments. :)

Though I'm surprised there hasn't been more...would've figured a board like this appreciates a well-written kill story... :(

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
that's a damn fine kill, wedge. :) very well written, too. a pleasure to read! well done!

don't worry, more will come. (it took a while for my thread to take off) :)

-shaeff

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I'm posting again, because I don't want Wedge getting discouraged and quit posting his fabulously written kill stories. For the record Wedge, I've read it three times and actually told the story to a friend of mine like I was the one that outran the vette. That is the true test of a good story, when other people steal it for themselves. Hurry up and outrun someone else so I can live vicariously through you..............lol

Just kidding about the stealing the story though. Just trying to give you some motivation to get back out on the highways. Buckle up and hold on to the camcorder with both hands and drive with your knee. That way the video is good and not wobbly............lol

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i'm going to bump this, hoping that more people will catch on that a well written kill is a good kill, even if you're the one GETTING killed!

-shaeff

xarewhyayen

276 whp - 324 tq @ 13psi
Oct 3, 2005
Philly
You a writer? haha i like how that was put together... great kill man congrats.. It takes a real man to rocket a fat bitch like the supra past a c5. I love it. People doubt the power of the mk3 which makes it even more fun to blow past em.

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Thanks for the comments guys...I will definitely post more kills when I come across them... :D

Lol, no, I'm not a writer...it was just one of those things I had to write about/share... :icon_razz

I did have a yellow Z06 driver stare me down a couple times this past week, though... :evil:

I won't be taking him on anytime soon...the black beast needs tuning, not to mention these super-rich AFs are murder with these gas prices. :(