2 Problems, no start, loud noise

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
I just replaced my hg. it ran before i did it. Now I have 2 problems.

Problem One,
Loud whistle while trying to turn car over. I turn the key and it starts turning then after a few seconds it makes a loud squeak or whistle, its not a belt that is what I thought at first then I could smell burning. the cleaner in the intake is burning off and the whistle seems to be coming from the intake/throttle body area and smoke is coming out when it happens. I replaced all the vacuum lines so i dont know where the hell its coming from anymore.

Problem Two,
the damn thing wont start, it turns over and tries to start but wont actually start. Everything is TDC on the timing, and i have been playing with the distributor. Its getting electricity to the plugs but doesnt actually seem to be getting any combustion.

Any suggestions would be awesome because I cant think of anything else...
Thanks

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
whitemike;1465553 said:
I'd do a compression test before doing anything hasty, but in my opinion, I think it may be timing due to the air escaping thru the TB.

I reset everything to TDC and it is still not starting. Any suggestions on how I get it to just start so I can hit it with a timing gun?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Still sounds like timing. Re-check everything, #1 at TDC verify with a pencil, all your marks lined up, rotor pointing at #1 wire. Should fire even without a timing light on it.

Other things to check like Cuel mentioned vac leak, AFM pluged in, ECU grounds on the intake. You mentioned cleaner, did you clean the AFM with something? If so what?

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
AJ'S 88NA;1465703 said:
Still sounds like timing. Re-check everything, #1 at TDC verify with a pencil, all your marks lined up, rotor pointing at #1 wire. Should fire even without a timing light on it.

Other things to check like Cuel mentioned vac leak, AFM pluged in, ECU grounds on the intake. You mentioned cleaner, did you clean the AFM with something? If so what?

I didnt clean the AFM I just replaced it about a month ago. So I didnt see any need to mess with it

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Your distributor may still be where it was when you took the head off, but if your cams moved at all, your timing will not be correct. I'll try to find the cygnus page the shows how to line everything up.

Are the timing marks on the cam gears pointing at the marks on the backing plate while the motor is at TDC, and the crank pulley is at "0"?

Last edited:

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
It sounds to me like the cams (at the very least the intake cam) are WAY out.

ForcedTorque is right; unless you left the cams in for the whole job too, you need to reset the distributor to 0º as well... if you sent the head to a shop for milling, they most definitely took the cams out to do their work on it.

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
Okay, it was the distibutor. It was way off. Got it running got it in time fount the leake fixed the leak. But now my car over heats after driving for less than a minute, but all the fluids are still cool... coolant is flowing fine but the exhaust manifold heats up like crazy and the throttle is spongy, no power at all. Ive been told its my cat, so I dropped my back cat and its clean, and I still get plenty of pressure out of the exhaust. What could it be?

StillChasing1

Jun 6, 2009
Orlando Florida
cuel;1472143 said:
Does it overheat with the cat off? How did you set the ignition timing?

It still shows on the temp gauge that it is overheating with the back cat off, but there is what i believe to be another cat instead of a downpipe off the headers.

i set everything TDC then used a timing light to set the timing from the rotation of the distributor.