2 duds with Federal Hydroshok .45

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
So after around 6 months I normally burn though the 17 rounds I carry at the range and swap them out. Well I have just started carrying Hydroshok and I'm a fan of federal, but WTF, first 2 rounds end up being duds. This is out of a RIA 1911, firing pin hit them just fine...seriously shocked about this...If I needed them, I would have been fucked...dunno what I should be running now, back to winchester JHPs again...

What does everyone here carry?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Are you constantly chambering those rounds and then unloading them for whatever reason?

It's been documented that continuing to chamber the same round over and over can actually knock the primer charge off the brass and cause a dud...As well as push the bullets back further into the brass potentially causing a serious chamber over pressure if round does go off.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Rounds that I keep in the pipe get cycled into the bottom of the magazine after 4-5 times of reloading them be it for cleaning or just finger fucking my 1911

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
gaboonviper85;2008672 said:
Are you constantly chambering those rounds and then unloading them for whatever reason?

It's been documented that continuing to chamber the same round over and over can actually knock the primer charge off the brass and cause a dud...As well as push the bullets back further into the brass potentially causing a serious chamber over pressure if round does go off.

gaboonviper85;2008674 said:
Rounds that I keep in the pipe get cycled into the bottom of the magazine after 4-5 times of reloading them be it for cleaning or just finger fucking my 1911

I do what you are doing in your second post. When getting home, I unchamber the round, drop the mag, and put the round at the bottom of the stack, maybe I should just not wait so long to change out my EDC ammo...

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
gaboonviper85;2008698 said:
You have any mods done? Trigger job? Are you getting light primer strikes?

No mods all stock, no light strikes either. I think it's what you described, I might need to cycle out my edc ammo every 2ish months

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I swapped out my hammer spring from an 18 pound to a 16....never had a failure to fire...I think the fact that Springfield armory uses 9 mm firing pins in their 45's so it is a bit more of a sharp point it doesn't take as much force to deform the primer.

Light strikes was my main fear after doing a trigger job.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I daily carry a M&P Shield .40, my carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel JHP 180gr. I've loaded and unloaded it many times over the past six months, and when I go to fire it goes bang every time.

That's straight up scary. Hell, just ONE dud is scary, especially if it's your first!

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
shaeff;2008908 said:
I daily carry a M&P Shield .40, my carry ammo is Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel JHP 180gr. I've loaded and unloaded it many times over the past six months, and when I go to fire it goes bang every time.

That's straight up scary. Hell, just ONE dud is scary, especially if it's your first!

Yep, it's why I was kinda pissed, it wasn't the 4 or 5th down the line it was the first and second round...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
This is probably going to come across as a dumb question, but what do you do in such a situation? Pull the slide back to manually eject the round and move on? Assuming you're in a situation where you NEED the gun, not on the range where you have time to investigate.

yhatzee89

Joe Yantz
Aug 31, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I'd just clear the round if I've got the space, if not, go to plan B and start bludgeoning your target until they give you space. That's why I love my Sig226, even if it's empty, I can still beat someone to death with it if I need to. Either way you look at it, it's scary when your WSHTF plan fails...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
SupraMario;2008623 said:
What does everyone here carry?

The later generation from Federal called HST. That is hydra shock technology. Go watch a few gel tests on youtube.

[video=youtube;iWW2Y-IZpyE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWW2Y-IZpyE[/video]

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Although, 45 ACP was deigned to be a big bullet that gets the job done. They all fall to hard ball. Proof? WWI, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam. No shortage of dead guys by the 1911.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
te72;2011868 said:
This is probably going to come across as a dumb question, but what do you do in such a situation? Pull the slide back to manually eject the round and move on? Assuming you're in a situation where you NEED the gun, not on the range where you have time to investigate.

Yes, you could cycle the action by pulling back the slide and chambering another round. That would kick out the dud round and give you another round. If the gun is a DA/SA or DAO you could simply pull the trigger again and it would attempt to strike the round again. If you have a striker fired pistol you don't get that second strike option and you're forced to rack the slide or use it as a bludgeon tool. ;)

A 1911 is SAO by design so you could do a second strike, but you'd have to manually pull back the hammer. This isn't too tough, but in an "Oh SHIT!" situation I think a lot of regular joes would fumble the gun or just keep squeezing the trigger wishing for something to happen. Additionally, if you're facing oncoming fire you may not even realize the round didn't fire out of your gun so it could be a real confusing situation if you're not really familiar or if you're not good under stress.

This kind of thing is partly why I tend to favor the DA/SA pistols. It's rare to get a dud round, but it happens.

suprayo

Sep 9, 2009
Vancouver, WA
www.myspace.com
I did you try a second strike? I carry Winchester pdx in my sig p238 and have gone a year carrying the same rounds and they all still went boom after swapping them out. Usually if there is an issue with the round from multiple clamberings the case will start to show wear.

SupraMario

Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
Nick M;2037741 said:
I hope you are all collecting large volumes of ammo.

Yep, stock piling like crazy, but that's just because I keep finding deals lol, but next purchase is going to be a reloader and then probably a 1911 in 9mm for plinking.