1UZFE Turbo Questions

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
So I've been back and forth about either a LS1 or a 1UZFE in my 91. I understand the basics of each motor, but was planning on doing a twin turbo setup in the 1uz if i do go that route. Now my questions lie in a few different areas

1. running twin turbo will it require me to run a standalone? Bigger injectors?
2. Is the 1UZ AFM or MAF based
3. What kind of boost can i throw and a new rebuilt 1UZ
4. Ive heard the 1uz is tuned down from factory, what are the ways around this
5. running twins will require all custom exhaust manifolds correct
any and all help would be much appreciated or if you can point me to a place where i can research and study i would be very thankful

thanks guys!

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I will always say, best bang for your buck will be LS1. It pumps out more horsepower/ torque right out of the box vs. the 1UZ-FE. Now, that doesn’t mean I don’t absolutely love my 1UZ car, but I always let people know who compare the two. A twin turbo set up on either engine would be very fun, but very difficult.

1. If your conservative on your boost like 5 psi you can run the stock ECU, maybe the stock injectors. It has been done but your playing Russian roulette.
2. Do you mean AFM or MAP? They AFM, older are karman vortex just like the 7M-GTE.
3. Rebuilt how? It depends on many factors how the engine can hold up. I will say, there are a few people running insane amounts of boost on stock bottom ends/top ends.
4. Standalone ECU, from what I have read, the 1UZ-FE ECU is a PITFA to deal with using a piggyback.
5. You can flip your stock manifolds left for right and they will bolt on facing forwards. You can also go the route I did, buy a set of Land Cruiser (2UZ?) factory log type headers and go from there.

Also consider when you flip manifolds you will need to relocate some of your accessories, such as the alternator and power steering pump. You also will have to allocate room for a single downpipe past your passenger side engine mount as there is not enough room to pass a down pipe on both sides of the engine.

Supramania, Lextreme, v-eight.com, and google searches will be your best bet on finding info.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Awesome Thanks for all the help. Its hard i keep going back and forth with the whole things, the UZ in the long run would be a cheaper route(which isn't the most important but important nonetheless) but the LS1 just screams to me. We'll see how it goes, I'm kind of crazy when its comes to making lists and budgeting, which i guess is a good thing, but just making lists for both. Thanks

1. with 2 decent size twins i won't really need to run much boost anyway, but with it so tuned down from the factory i might as well go standalone and do it correctly
2. i meant MAP
3. was meaning stock rebuild, in the small amount of reading i found, was told stock pistons and rods were forged. If thats true or not i don't know.
4. i figured its never ever easy lol
5. if i can ill get some made my dad loves doing that work so ill get em on it lol

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I'd go single on either. I'd take the complicated exhaust piping over twice the turbos, twice the wastegates, twice the hot IC piping, and twice the downpipes.

I'm gonna love this thread :) I also have a question, what do people do about the brake booster? Does the stock one also get in the way of the LS?

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
/\ Haha nice!

Yea, I'm building a single set up. I have to redo everything I have so far so its exactly the way I want it.

About the booster, yes the stock MA70 booster is to thick and will need a nice dent in the side to clear the 1UZ valve cover. The LS1 like most pushrod type V8 engines are crazy narrow compared to the 1UZ, so they would probably need no modification. I have an 85? Toyota Truck non-turbo booster, I think it’s the 9-1/4" dia. It’s much thinner than the MA70 booster, but the diameter makes it hit the valve cover still.

There is a website somewhere that shows a build a guy did with a fuel injected 350 chevy engine, he did twin turbos and mounted them on the sides of the engine, that means a ton of space is available...

Edit (link):

http://www.sdsefi.com/features/dec00supra.htm

ZFast300Z

Trouble
Dec 15, 2007
Wisconsin
I believe someone is running twin 35R's on a E85 1UZ and making over 1000RWHP. Im using the Eaton M112 from a Jaguar to go with 8psi of boost. Should be good for 350 at the wheels and a shit ton of torque. The LS1 isnt as wide as the 1UZ so you can use the stock supra brake booster. 1UZ requires the Hilux booster.

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Thanks Chambers and ZFast300Z for answering my questions. Is there any all-aluminium V8's that are smaller (externally) than an LS1? And what would be the cost of acquiring/maintaining/buying aftermarket parts for them? A Vortec 5300 is the same size as an LS1, right?

Last edited:

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
so I'm better off going LS1 twinned? easier for me i have a much easier time finding truck motors to turn into Ls1s then uzs lol

A. Jay

Search.
Jun 3, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Can the heads on the 1uz be switched left-right? I had a single turbo idea:

gm-4-5-liter-duramax-diesel_100169324_m.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Yea, I don't see that happening on a 1UZ, there is more to it than just swapping heads... but that is ideal for a V engine, with heat rising and such. BMW has a killer V8 twin turbo that has the turbos in that position.