1st gear thrust washer pic (R154)

crf_rider

Apr 23, 2005
Portland, OR
I broke the thrust washer in my tranny last week. Too much powah! :biglaugh:

Anyhow, I got one from toyota today and thought I would post a pic. This is the washer that higher HP cars keep breaking.

tw1.jpg

I am going to see how much it will cost to have a duplicate made out of a less brittle material. I will have to find out what this is made of also. Looks like it will be a CNC job so its probably not going to be cheap.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Talk to Grant (oneandgone). I made a washer for him out of d2 tool steel, and had it face harded to where you couldn't even scratch it with a file. It wasn't brittle....

He still has it some where....

crf_rider

Apr 23, 2005
Portland, OR
If the washer was simple enough to duplicate on a manual metal lathe or mill it would be much cheaper than setting up a program on a CNC mill to do it. At least that has been my experiance.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Simple part like that would take maybe 5>10 minutes to program.

Run time would be maybe another 10 minutes, materials a few $ then heat treating would add a few more so all up not that expensive.

Back in the early days all CNC programming was done by hand so would take time and most shops with a CNC are trying to pay the machine off ASAP so their charges are high, where in fact it costs a lot more to have a human run a part on a manual machine.

A lot of shops won't deal with small run parts as the CNC shines when doing multiples so again they charge ridiculous amounts.