1st build what did I miss

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
Well as i said in my other thread I am new to the supra community and would love to have input or advise on my build

My goal is a 300+\- hp car that will be a daily driver around the mountains of North Carolina. Responsive in the turns but will not rattle my brains out on some of the worst highways in the world.

The car is a bone stock 1990 Turbo, Tems, Targa, 5 speed
from Ohio

Suspension:
Black Energy Suspension control arm bushings front and rear
RK rear strut rod and steering rack bushings
Tokico Illumina II
Tanabe Sway bars F&R
Beech Rear end links ?? not sure yet
Eibach Springs
Tokico Illumina II

Engine:
tear engine down complete rebuild little on the tight side of oem clearances
new oem oil pump shim and add washers to spring
AZP Oil Pump Supply Kit or build something like it
The machine shop says he can get an ra of 15 or better on the block and head
new arp studs
Cometic 7M MLS headgasket
oem gasket kit
oem bearings
good 3 angle valve job
gasket match intake and exhaust remove all casting marks and smooth out inside
stock cams
helicoil exhaust studs
stock turbo
delete elbow
2.5 inch downpipe w/ flex
hi flow cat and custom 2.5 inch exhaust
APEXI Power Intake in custom box

I want to keep as much of the stock look inside as possible

I am planning on doing most of the work myself and I have more time than money. I don't want to spend money
on things I don't need, but I would hate to look back and say I wish I had done this or that.

Basic Questions:
If the car can breathe good can I reach 300 hp with with stock electronics

Is 2.5 inch exhaust enough or do i need 3 inch for my goals

Should I add or Subtract any thing from this list to make this build last or reach my goals

Last edited:

NewWestSupras

SoupLvr
Mar 1, 2006
White Rock
Looks like a very good list. 300 hp on stock electronics is np, imho. I'd go 3" dp and exhaust..might consider an upgraded bolt-on turbo ie Boss jr., etc. If you are going through all the trouble of a rebuild, I'd use Arp fasteners throughout, (rods, mains, flywheel, too). For the extra $$, a set of forged pistons would help if you ever decide to increase the hp, and want the extra piece of mind they can offer. A lightened flywheel can offer some rev speed increases, and a 1-pce driveshaft, but some members prefer the stock ds (due to critical speed concerns). gl.

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
I am thinking about sending the turbo to drift motion for a rebuild and a possible 54 or 57 trim upgrade. I want my power at as low rpm as possible and have not done enough research to know where I stand on the turbo yet. Flywheel was on my list I just did not type it in. thanks for the input new west and my torque wrench is going to be very happy with my new toy it's spent way to much time in the tool box. thanks NTRA08

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
Fergie76;1329829 said:
gasket match intake and exhaust remove all casting marks and smooth out

not sure if you were gonna gasket match the exhaust mani or just the intake, sut it shouldnt be done w/ the exhaust. from the looks of that list tho, it seems you've done your research.