1jzgte reliability?

klex

Oct 3, 2008
Coral Springs
Hey guys i'm new to the forums and am happy to announce that I am purchasing a 1jzgte mk3 5mt in a few weeks! I would like to know how reliable these engines are? I am what you can call a Yota fanboy and have loved many of Toyota's products since I was a child. After years of wishing and waiting, I finally have the chance to get one of Toyota's best! Are there any issues with a completely stock except for a cone filter to turbo and full 3" exhaust 1jzgte as a daily driver? I know it will drink gas but will it be like a mercedes-benz where every month something else pops up. I will stay on top of maintenance although I do hope it is as rock solid as my 99 camry 5sfe. Thanks in advance. Any and all input from you guys is greatly appreciated!

87soup

F*CK SMOG CHECKS!!!
Jan 23, 2006
Sacramento
I wouldn't trade my 1JZ for nothin!!!!
and it actually is fair on gas milage if your not spooling...
It is the funnest most responsive, smooth engine, ever....:love:

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
MK3Brent;1146563 said:
Sorry to hear that, about the 1J.

lol...from what i hear I'd love to have one......

but i do like my 7m torque.

congrats on the new purchase...err...planned purchase!

Check the condition of the turbos? that's all i've got, i dont know much about 1j's.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
watch out for the timing belt tensioner. Mine went, and we suspected the arm had broke, but infact the bolt that holds the pulley to the arm had broken in half. No big deal really, aslong as the timing belt skipping a few teeth doesnt mess anything up. My incident was really the first time id heard of a 1J being "unreliable". That being said, all cars break sometimes, even reliable ones