1JZ Y pipe & OEM Engine Mount

CrazyHorse26

Formerly Puerto
Aug 2, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Ok SM,

so i recently pulled my 1JZ out to change out my the twins and add the aftermarket Y-pipe but for some reason the stock engine mount on the block hits the y pipe that prevents it from being bolted back on to the engine block, has anyone ran into this problem or what are my alternatives?
please feel free to leave any suggestions

CrazyHorse26

Formerly Puerto
Aug 2, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Turbo Habanero;1883826 said:
Which Y pipe are you using ?

Size?
Company you got it from ?
Brand?

What year mk3 ? Round or square mounts?

i bought the Y-Pipe from another member on SM,
i have a 89 MKIII and my mounts are the Round ones

CrazyHorse26

Formerly Puerto
Aug 2, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Marotta1;1883939 said:
You have to grind the mount/bracket down a bit. It's made in China, so it doesn't fit quite right.

will that affect anything if i did grind my stock engine mount to give space to the Y pipe or should i get the BIC engine mounts to avoid grinding on my stock engine mounts?

kelson

Apr 17, 2009
Socorro, NM
I've never had a aftermarket y pipe, so I'm just throwing this out there. Is it possible you have the pipe backwards. Front turbo bolted in place of the back turbo and vice versa. If so that would change the position of the bottom of the y pipe. You probably got it right though.

CrazyHorse26

Formerly Puerto
Aug 2, 2011
Long Beach, CA
I've double checked that many times, lol I've ensured everything is bolted on correctly and installed the proper way, I am confused myself.....smh

Marotta1

Supreme Lurker
will that affect anything if i did grind my stock engine mount to give space to the Y pipe or should i get the BIC engine mounts to avoid grinding on my stock engine mounts?

I just ground my stock mount a bit in one place. My engine hasn't dropped out of the bay yet, so so far so good. Lol It's been almost 2 years now. The brackets are quite strong. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure others have done it as well.

I don't think you need BIC brackets. They may not fit either without grinding for all you know.

CrazyHorse26

Formerly Puerto
Aug 2, 2011
Long Beach, CA
Marotta1;1884086 said:
I just ground my stock mount a bit in one place. My engine hasn't dropped out of the bay yet, so so far so good. Lol It's been almost 2 years now. The brackets are quite strong. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure others have done it as well.

I don't think you need BIC brackets. They may not fit either without grinding for all you know.

so be it!! ill work it out then, thanks for your help bro...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Did you get this figured out? I didn't have this problem on my car, but I have solid mounts, they're fairly thin...