1JZ wont turn over. Something seems seriously wrong.

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So i have a 91 RHD supra turbo which obviously means its a 1JZ from factory. this car is basically bone stock with some bpu (intake, exhaust). It has ran fine since the day I owned it, in fact its been solid. Never had a problem. So im driving in the rain yesterday and i hit a puddle that was deeper then i thought it would be, probly 8" deep. The second I enter the puddle my car instantly dies. thinking i just got some wires wet i thought i would just wait and start it in a few minutes. I wait an hour and nothing. wont even turn over. didnt even make a sound just a single click. Pushed into a parking lot and went back in the morning. Tried again and same thing, single click. had my brother truck pull me home and on my street i tried to do a running start and pop the clutch going about 15km/h in first gear. Nothing happened at all with the engine and when i let the clutch out my back tires locked and his truck was just dragging it. tires wouldnt spin at all until i put the clutch in. I have power to everything ( windows, locks, stereo etc.) Oh i forgot to mention that after the hour of waiting to start it the first time i took off the air filter and dumped water out of it. Iv let the engine dry now for about 24 hours and it still just clicks. any suggestions? What worries me is the locking of the tires in the push start.

Thanks

Travis

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
soounds like the cylenders have hydro locked from sucking in water. pull the pulgs out and turn crank by hand, see if water come out, or if it wont turn by hand, then it dont look good

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Definitely sounds hydro locked. With the initial lock up, then the push start, i call you lucky if there aren't any bent rods. Best of luck friend.

Bu the way, do you have an intake that sucks from the bumper, or from the engine bay?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sorry to hear this, but I'm with the other guys here... happened to a friend of mine with an Integra, had an intake WAY too low. Drove through a puddle, sucked up enough water to wreck the motor. Let us know what you find? You know... remove spark plugs, crank engine to TDC for each cylinder, and vacuum out whatever water you can get out?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
I like to pull the plugs and rank the engine over a bunch as a quick test to see if there's water in the cyls. This clears most of it out, plus you can do a compression test right away to see if any cyls are at 0 (broken rod) or very low (bent rod). Good luck!

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Alright, I will give that a try tmo. my intake is in the engine bay sitting right behind the right light so I guess just bad luck that water got in it. Ii will let you guys now tmo what I find out.

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
so I shot like 2 liters of water into the sky yesterday. Tons of water in there. Going to do my compression test today if I have time. can someone tell me what my compression should be at.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
supra_fast;1740251 said:
so I shot like 2 liters of water into the sky yesterday. Tons of water in there. Going to do my compression test today if I have time. can someone tell me what my compression should be at.

i dont know for the 1jz, but what were looking for is how even it is, as that will show if it did any damage. also id pull your intercooler off and drain it, as it probably has water in it

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Usually for compression you want about 140psi min and up to about 180 sometimes hgiher depending on compression ratio. But if you have more than like a 15-20 psi difference between cylinders there is a problem.

If your shooting out water hg is prolly super blown. You will prolly see a couple 0 or close to it.

kanji1jz

kanji
Jan 16, 2008
tampa fl
^ Head gasket isn't blown... did you read his original post? He hydrolocked it. Good luck on the compression test. Probably did some damage trying to bump start it, but then again I had a few high end euro cars that had hydrolocked and I thought for certain I was going to have to replace their 40k hand-built in Germany engines and they turned out just fine. You may have also taken out your starter. I had an AMG do that when it hydrolocked. Just a word of advice.

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
will I get a accurate reading if i just use my key to move the pistons. my plan is to run booster cables to the battery from my truck so i dont drain the battery or do I have to do it manually. I havnt done this before. I have the compression gauge just not sure if it will be accurate my way.

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
supra_fast;1740665 said:
will I get a accurate reading if i just use my key to move the pistons. my plan is to run booster cables to the battery from my truck so i dont drain the battery or do I have to do it manually. I havnt done this before. I have the compression gauge just not sure if it will be accurate my way.

yep that works fine. though unplug the coil packs while doing this,

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Take the spark plugs out and turn the motor over by hand first. Make sure it will turn. IF it does then you might gotten lucky. If it doesnt then something bent.

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
coil packs are unplugged and thats how i got the water out was by turning the key. thats y water flew so high in the air. once i get a chance i will do the compression test. pretty busy now until sunday but ill try and get it done cuz now im just curious.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I remember reading a good thread on compression testing on here, perhaps someone can dig up a link for you...

supra_fast

FN Fast
May 13, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
low compression pretty much across the board. I guess this is a good excuse to do the 2j swap I have been meaning to do for ever now. gonna go buy the engine next weekend if i can. that being said im also gonna part out my 1jz. Thanks for the help.

Travis