1jz wont start/firing order question

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
hey guys,

searched around and oddly enough getting straight info on the 1jz firing order is a bit of a PITA.

so i digress, whats the firing order of the 1jz? because my swap is done, everything that i can do is done and the engine is cranking well and getting plenty of fuel pressure. i think the timing was out 360 before but i moved the crank 360 around and recentered the cams to see if that helped and it does make a different sound when cranking, compression sounding noise but still no fire. is there anything else i can try other then correcting the timing again? if anybody could give me the firing order and possibly some things to check because at this point its either compression or ignition.

this is a 1jz auto jza70 swap into an 87 n/a auto mk3. its is full bpu with fidanza cam gears, new ngk plugs and new timing belt, engine is cranking fine and the fuel pump is coming on and staying on. help me i so want to here this damn thing to fire already.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Man that could be 100 things. Can you be more specific about what and how you have it wired?

That car will turn on the pump and crank even with no ecu.

So yeah, please tell us whats up?

And it should be 153624 for firing order.

makaveli913

1jz and lovin it
Nov 20, 2007
Pueblo Co
Make sure your check engine light comes on when you turn the key!!! That was exactly what was happening with mine no sprak. The light wasnt on, i opened up the ecu and a capacitor was leaking. i got a new ecu and it fired right up.

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
ok ill check that. but i think the timing is still out, so is that definate that if the check engine light dozen come on when the key is turned that the ecu is fucked? ill have to crack it open and check.

the jza70 harness was extended and the 87 body plugs were swapped on. everything seems to be wired up correctly.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
if it cranks there is spark and fuel and no cracks on the coil it should run. the sc300 2jzgte i did took about a week of patient cranking once a day or so and my car took about a 1minute of cranking

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
ok guys update finally.

first problem was the ecu, the ecu that came with my engine set was bogus, not even for a 1jz. unfortunatly, its still not starting. it cranks over and you can feel the engine has compression. ive confirmed its getting good spark and you can smell fuel after cranking the engine over for sometime. it almost catches and fires up but obviously something isnt quite right. you can even smell partially burnt fuel at times. ive confirmed piston 1 at TDC which lines up with the timing mark, ive set the cams at zero with there timing marks both straight up. with the obvious smell of fuel the injectors must be working and the fuel pump is coming on and staying on. im still thinking timing, but everything in that department seems like its correct, i even set the cams 180 out to see if that would make any difference but to no avail.

what am i doing wrong? everything seems like its ready to rock but it just wont run! the engine is also throwing no codes at all, that has been checked. also does anybody know what that 5th connector on the ECU is for? the one with the separate lead and plug outside of the ecu case? its currently not plugged in, could this be it? it doesnt seem like that would cause the engine to not start. could it be a bad TPS or CPS? does the CPS need to be realigned?

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
soapra;1101343 said:
Try to reverse the cam sensors. Unplug the front one and change it to the back and the back to the front. Does the car have any ugrades? injectors? How cold of a spark plug are you using?

yes there are some upgrades, but nothing that would affect starting up and firing, just fidanza cam gears set to zero and installed correctly, china y pipe and dp, hardpipes and intercooler, etc. the spark plugs are just some platinum ngk's that i got from the person who sold the engine to me, i highly doubt there temperature or gap would be that grossly out that it would cause the engine to not start.

the cam sensors could just be reversed? is there enough wire in the harness for the front to reach the back and vice versa? ill try that tonight.

my only other guess is the cps's are bad, or somehow the crank timing alignment to the mark somehow is out and the crank is 180 out clockwise or counter clockwise.

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
Make sure you recheck your timing first in the correct manner.
Make usre the #1 Cylinder is at TDC ( to the top ) and your cam pulley marks should be facing on the top aligned with the marks on the back plate.
Your Crank Pulley should read zero degrees.
If the above is not in order, reset the timing by redoing the belt according to TSRM

You will need to check all your main plugs again.

Make sure ignitor is hooked up.
Make sure all plugs to the main sensors are hooked up. ( Cam position sensors x2 , Crank sensor( near the crank pulley), Map sensor , O2 sensor etc. )

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
suprastanger507mgte;1101989 said:
Make sure you recheck your timing first in the correct manner.
Make usre the #1 Cylinder is at TDC ( to the top ) and your cam pulley marks should be facing on the top aligned with the marks on the back plate.
Your Crank Pulley should read zero degrees.
If the above is not in order, reset the timing by redoing the belt according to TSRM

You will need to check all your main plugs again.

Make sure ignitor is hooked up.
Make sure all plugs to the main sensors are hooked up. ( Cam position sensors x2 , Crank sensor( near the crank pulley), Map sensor , O2 sensor etc. )

done, done and done, ive already triple checked all of those things, cam gears are zeroed and the crank is at zero, ive even spun it 360 both ways and no dice. im going to try 180 left or right next. ill also reverse the CPS wiring when i get off work.

ive already confirmed im getting good spark, fuel and compression, there just not obviously at the correct time.

also does anybody know what the fifth connector off the ecu is? the external plug that connects to the ecu through a short length of wires that enters at that buldge at the top plate?

suprastanger507mgte

2x88+2x89+1x91+2x92=ME
Apr 5, 2005
Hayward , Ca
NecroCyde;1102040 said:
done, done and done, ive already triple checked all of those things, cam gears are zeroed and the crank is at zero, ive even spun it 360 both ways and no dice. im going to try 180 left or right next. ill also reverse the CPS wiring when i get off work.

ive already confirmed im getting good spark, fuel and compression, there just not obviously at the correct time.

also does anybody know what the fifth connector off the ecu is? the external plug that connects to the ecu through a short length of wires that enters at that buldge at the top plate?

Your timing is controlled by the cam sensors and the crank . I would these wires at the plugs as well at the point where they were extended ( if you went that route) to make sure the wires were not switched during reconnect.soldering ( basically check the signal and ground ).

The short conenctor is the flying lead. It has signals going/coming from the map / ground and / TPS. I was able to start without this plugged in.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Do you have a confirmed working 1JZ ECU in the car? I know when my ECU took a dump it would sound like it would catch but it would not stay running for the life of me. I also wet fouled my spark plugs from all the cranking and that did not help the situation.

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
ive exhausted all other options, i simply have no idea why this isnt starting, i can only guess the cps wiring is crossed in the harness extension as the timing is correct and fuel is entering the combustion chamber and spark is plenty strong, im going to pop the valve covers and see if the exhaust cam is somehow grossly out of wack, im just running out of things i can check or try.

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
other then trying some ngk 6097s and putting the crank 180 out just for shits and giggles, ive pretty much exhausted every option, this very well could be a problem with the cps wiring or the crank angle sensor wiring. oh delays, delays, now i will have to create MORE martians!