1JZ to 2JZ

green

Dec 17, 2007
Toronto
Alright well I want to go 2jz from a 1jz. It is going into a 87 supra targa 5-speed. I currently have a 1jz in there with the stock twins and I want to go 2j cause everyone says not to do the swap and whatever reason, which makes me want to do the complete opposite.

My questions are what can I keep in and what do I have to remove etc etc...

I know thus far I need to push the firewall back a tad to make the twins fit properly since I do intend to keep the twins for a little while. The oil pan from the 1j, IC piping with maybe a tad of added fabrication work. Now my main concerns is the wiring how difficult is it going to be to wire in the 2jz.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
You can run the 2jz on the 1jz electronics. So, it wouldn't be difficult at all. Since you're already 1jz, you should have just about every part you need to drop in the 2jz. You would have to run it in true twin mode though, since the 1jz wiring has no provisions for the sequential turbo setup.

green

Dec 17, 2007
Toronto
Would I have to use the 1jz loom or splicing going to be needed. Just out of curiosity if I wanted to run the 2jz ecu and wiring would I have to go through all that trouble of splicing it into the body harness and everything again? Since I have the 1jz in there now would it be useless to run the 2jz wiring and what not.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you wanted to run the 2jz wiring, you would have to do alot of work. You'd have to lengthen the harness and redo the body connectors. There are advantages to running the 2jz wiring though, you won't have to run batch injection and you can run the turbos in sequential mode, etc.

If you want to run the 2jz without doing much wiring, then use the 1jz harness.

nissansupra

Jan 27, 2010
songkhla
JonoTurbo;1625867 said:
I'm not sure what you're asking, but if you wanted to run the 2jz wiring, you would have to do alot of work. You'd have to lengthen the harness and redo the body connectors. There are advantages to running the 2jz wiring though, you won't have to run batch injection and you can run the turbos in sequential mode, etc.

If you want to run the 2jz without doing much wiring, then use the 1jz harness.

this question little bit out of topic from the main topic, can 2jz sequential system to be converted into 1jz turbo system? what are pros and cons doing it?

green

Dec 17, 2007
Toronto
I thought i would revive this thread and ask a couple of more questions just for clarity. If i got a 2j could i use the 1j wiring harness? Would most of the work been done already with the 1j in? Since i searched google, here, sf and a handfull of other sites could not really find answers from going 1 to 2j

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
jonoturbo already told you "You can run the 2jz on the 1jz electronics. So, it wouldn't be difficult at all. Since you're already 1jz, you should have just about every part you need to drop in the 2jz. You would have to run it in true twin mode though, since the 1jz wiring has no provisions for the sequential turbo setup" what more do you need?

Tura_1JZ

Supra down the block
Aug 26, 2009
miami
So you wouldn't be able to run a USDM twins sequential turbo setup because of 1jz wiring?

green

Dec 17, 2007
Toronto
This is what i mean by clarification. Apperently not the motor would have to run on true twin like the 1j since wiring and ecu are from the 1. Now i really hope that it is plug and play would save me alot of trouble and or money

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
(Apperently not the motor would have to run on true twin like the 1j since wiring and ecu are from the 1) can you clarify what your saying here? very hard to understand:)

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
you can use
clutch set up
bell housing
motor mounts and brackets
ic and piping

as for the wiring, what the point of going 2j if your still using 1j ecu.. mind as well stay 1j.
your better off spending some money having a 2j harness converted.

also another route you can do is repin you 1j for a 2j ecu.
i personally have never done it but everyone who has done it will swear by how much better the motor responds with the 2j ecu.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
what i would suggest is there is a guy on ebay that will take your 2jz harness and extend it... if needed. and make sure it is plug n play into your body harness guaranteed working all gauges/CC/Cruise/ABS/AC and whatever you want it running for a few hundred shipped. when i did my swap there are a few things that my instrucitions werent wired for so i'm probably gonna strip out my harness and have him alter it but you do need to send him the harness uncut with all the plugs.