1jz tach issue and breaking up/sputtering when at full OT (now with video)

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Wassup guys, its been awhile. Ive been enjoying cruising in the the 1jz lately but thats all i can really do..
The car preforms well when its cool and hasn't gotten to full operating temperature. When it is fully warmed up it breaks up and sputters really bad. I believe the tachometer issue and breaking up/ sputtering issue are related. The tachometer will read fine and then it will suddenly loose accuracy and jump around about 500-1000rpm then the car will start breaking up. It feels like its blowing out spark but i have changed plugs and gapped them down to .20, and swapped out coilpacks. Im not sure what i need to check next so if you could give me some ideas id appreciate it.

Thanks,

550 injectors
AFPR
stinger ems
61mm turbo

Last edited:

SURUKO

making the supra better..
Jan 8, 2007
The tropical island....
I dont really know a lot from jz engines but the tach and spark are related in the igniter. Also u can check if there any codes or if ur injectors work good when ur car is in operating temps. :)

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Oh i forgot to mention i have tried another igniter and the problem remains, maybe wiring to the igniter?
I cant check codes through the stinger :/

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Well, if the ignitor doesn't get a trigger to fire from the ecu, it will drop the tach output until the trigger returns. I had a poor connection on my ignitor that lead to an intermittent tach output- I'd say check the wiring and connections to make sure there is no poor connections.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
That makes sense, i will probably cut away the tape on my wiring and take a look at it all, anything else that could cause this? Another question but Does the igniter usually get hot?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
My old 7M igniter got fairly hot after the car had run for a long time, but the DH61 I'm using now has built-in heatsinks so it stays cooler. Never touched a 1JZ one, though.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Alright guys this problem went away for a little while but not its back again, it just started the other day. Havent done anything to the car so im not sure whats causing it. I shot a video of it ill post it asap.
When it starts breaking up, my gas mileage is completely dead with 10's 11's and 12's on low throttle while cruising.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
I had the same problem when I first got my 1jz running.
It ran fine one day, then this happened. Tach would jump around and it would starting cutting and running
like crap. Went away then came back. Fianlly it died and wouldn't start up.

Turned out that my Crank angle sensor, the one behind the alt, the wires were
rubbing against my belt and frayed the wires so they were
touching. Basically shorting out the CAS. I cut them, re
souldered the wires and zip tied the wires away from the alternator. Works fine now.

Could be your problem anywhere in your harness check for shorts in the entire system.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Albert;1615394 said:
I had the same problem when I first got my 1jz running.
It ran fine one day, then this happened. Tach would jump around and it would starting cutting and running
like crap. Went away then came back. Fianlly it died and wouldn't start up.

Turned out that my Crank angle sensor, the one behind the alt, the wires were
rubbing against my belt and frayed the wires so they were
touching. Basically shorting out the CAS. I cut them, re
souldered the wires and zip tied the wires away from the alternator. Works fine now.

Could be your problem anywhere in your harness check for shorts in the entire system.

Thanks, ill be checking that

Dirgle;1615421 said:
Have you had to replace the connectors on any of your coil packs?

No I havent