1JZ Swap Parts Into a MKIII - List -

jeffrey2nd

Oct 5, 2010
Sayville
hey whats going on guys? i am doing a 1jz swap on my 1987 supra and i was wondering if i needed the 2jz water pump? i new at this so i need some help. and this was at the top of my list of questions too will the front slum oil pan fit in the mk3 or do i need a rear slum?????

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
jeffrey2nd;1644287 said:
hey whats going on guys? i am doing a 1jz swap on my 1987 supra and i was wondering if i needed the 2jz water pump? i new at this so i need some help. and this was at the top of my list of questions too will the front slum oil pan fit in the mk3 or do i need a rear slum?????

You need a 2JZ water pump yes. You also need a rear sump Oil pan.

nctexan

Nov 30, 2009
Houston
92TealSupra, can you give me the details of exactly how you connected your 2 ga. wire from the alternator to the battery and the connections you used? So I am assuming that you completely discarded the OEM cable (that is actually 2 wires) that goes from the alt. to the battery, instead of splicing into it and extending it, correct?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
nctexan;1654046 said:
92TealSupra, can you give me the details of exactly how you connected your 2 ga. wire from the alternator to the battery and the connections you used? So I am assuming that you completely discarded the OEM cable (that is actually 2 wires) that goes from the alt. to the battery, instead of splicing into it and extending it, correct?

Yes I did get rid of the two stock ones. I used a 4 gauge wire instead, and bought terminals and soddered them on the copper.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
I bought a half cut, 1jzGTE..

Can I use the super clean (rust free) RHD engine crossmember w/my LHD steering rack..

in order to adapt my 87 to the later motor mount style?

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
^upon closer inspection, on a RHD subframe the steering rack brackets are 1/2"(off centre) over to the opposite side (and mirror reversed) from the LHD one..

so in my 87 dilema, original subrame and conversion mounts, or remove/replace either motor mounts or steering crosmembers

mk3_4me

Apr 24, 2011
Sandy Eggo
Not 100% on what you're asking, but if you buy the pre-89 engine brackets, you can use your stock subframe just fine. Hope that helps.

---------- Post added at 07:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 AM ----------

TealSupra, as far as the low pressure p/s lines go, I believe you said that generic lines will work fine (and are what you're using?). When you do this, is this going to eliminate the hard lines that run across the rack & pinion?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Low side ps lines just need reg 3/8th oil hose. I ditched the stock oil cooler in favor of the stock 7m oil cooler. Shorter lines as well.

Going to upgrade it soon tho for something a little bigger for when i hit the track.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
hvyman;1725788 said:
Low side ps lines just need reg 3/8th oil hose. I ditched the stock oil cooler in favor of the stock 7m oil cooler. Shorter lines as well.

Going to upgrade it soon tho for something a little bigger for when i hit the track.

Which 7M cooler did you use? the nicer ones not just piping one? I hope the fin one that came 90 + i thinK?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Stock 7m oil cooler. Theres only 1. The engine oil cooler. Stacked plate design. Gets better air flow as well and super easy to mount up and dont have crazy lines going all over.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
hvyman;1726256 said:
Stock 7m oil cooler. Theres only 1. The engine oil cooler. Stacked plate design. Gets better air flow as well and super easy to mount up and dont have crazy lines going all over.

Oh well I was thinking when you said ( Oil cooler ) you mean the fluid for the P/S oil cooler which ash 2 designs. You actually meant the Engine oil cooler :)

vIetDrIfTeR

Mar 19, 2010
d town
i have a 89 supra turbo 7mgte auto. im confused on the mounts right now. i just bought a 1jz, they say off a 1jza70. cant i just use the mounts on the engine already or do i need buy mounts from driftmotion ????because it seems like its hard to get the bolt on the subframe but my cherry picker is a 1 ton so its hard for it reach in there even with the bumper and nose off, so not sure if exactly if its the mounts or cherry picker right noww..HELP thanks

vIetDrIfTeR

Mar 19, 2010
d town
anybodyy???? i know its say 89+ mounts but why if its off the same car n my car is a 89 not sure if its the early of late version anybody can tell me please