1JZ Swap Parts Into a MKIII - List -

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I looked at the stickys that are posted above. What I like about them is all the information is awesome, but I want a straight forward * what parts do I need to drop a 1JZ into a MKIII and go down the road * That is what this thread is for. I hope this will help everyone wanting to do the swap. I will make suggestions that helped me, and I assure you they will do the same for you.

This is if you already have a 5-speed car you're swapping the 1JZ into, if you do not you will need more 5-speed swap parts. I would like to add though if your car is an auto, you will have to cut the tunnel where the shift comes up a little bit, for perfect fitment.

To start I will begin by breaking down everything into 5 sections Body, Engine,Electrical, Drive train, and miscellaneous parts.

Safety comes first! So always make sure you check your surroundings!

Where to buy all of these things?

I used a number of places to buy the parts? Seriously Ebay is where I got most.

Ebay
Driftmotion
Advance Auto
Supramania
Supraforums

Engine:

Complete 1JZ out of a JZA70 with a R-154, harness ECU, ect. attached ..............................$2300.00 ---------------Serious I have a very nice reputable company on *EBAY* (100%) Feedback as well.
Swap mounts for Pre '89 or '89 + .......................................................$120.00
Oil line so the stock 7M oil pressure sensor will adapt.............................$20.00
Rubber mounts for the swap mounts, or fluid filled if you have a '89 + .....$50.00
Stock 1JZ inter cooler and piping..............................................................$150.00
New Timing belt...................................................................................$35.00
Serpentine belt, Advance auto, if you run without A/C Part # 745K6............$22.00
2JZ Water pump....................................................................................$60.00
I would suggest a new Thermostat..........................................................$21.00
1JZ Water pump pulley, Hydro Fan pulley will not work..............................$20.00
If you do not want the hydro pump, you will have to get a 2JZ water pump and
LS400 Clutch with fan............................................................................$65.00
Stock 1JZ Down pipe...............................................................................$70.00
Stock Intake..........................................................................................$50.00
Oil filter.................................................................................................$5.00
Suggest engine oil- I used Castrol Edge Full Syn 5w-20.............................$50.00
Toyota Red Coolant...............................................................................$24.00/gallon
2JZ Coolant hoses..................................................................................$60.00
Hose Clamps, I would suggest getting a fair number of these. I had an issue with the water hoses that go to the oil filter housing. I used the stock Toyota clamps and they leaks, so I put some new hose clamps on there. Just as a safe guard...............................................$15.00
Heater hose, and vacuum lines to make it through the engine bay...............$30.00
I would suggest New Spark plugs Advance auto Part # NGK 4644, BKR73.....$14.00

Exhaust work will have to be done with a welder, so if you do not have one, find a place and bring the car there. We paid 100.00 to make everything fit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is my suggestion though when a motor comes in. These JDM motors sit for years, maybe 5-10 years. These have a build up of gunk inside, and they have not been ran in years. I like to take the whole 1jz apart, and clean everything with a tooth brush. I then went ahead and got a new Toyota gasket kit for the 1jz and re-gasket the entire motor. I added ARP head studs as well to the mix just to be certain.

Electrical:

For the electrical, the harness will need to be modified to fit your car, I will make a post on how to do that. Now the 1jz's alternator is WAY over to the other side. I used 2 gauge wiring and ran it under the core support all the way to the location where it mounts on the body harness. It was not that hard. If you want the stock Boost pressure gauge to work, run vacuum line off the intake manifold to the sensor and it will work. There is really no other wiring besides the main harness which you will have to do.

Note: when testing the electrical, always make sure all (+) positive wires are not grounded out.

Your Car's 7M harness or connectors if you don't have it............$150.00
2 Gauge Wire 6 feet I bought................................................. $13.00 Advance Auto
Connectors for the wire to the battery, and to the Alt. ..............$4.00 Advance Auto
Extra wiring to extended the harness.......................................$40.00 Hardware store, or buy spare cut wiring harness

Grounds: Head to body, Transmission to body, Attach the ground at the fuse box, Ground near the A/C relay.

If for some reason you motor does not come with this, you will need them.
Map sensor....................................................................................................$90.00
Ignitior..........................................................................................................$100.00

Drive train:

I would suggest a new clutch.....................................................................$400.00
Drive shaft...............................................................................................$100.00
I would suggest a new slave cylinder..........................................................$40.00
I would suggest a new braided clutch line.......................................................$50.00
I would suggest new Transmission fluid.......................................................$50.00
If you want ABS to work you will need to buy a ABS rear speed sensor...........$90.00
The 1JZ cars in Japan didn't have ABS on all models, or maybe at all.

Body:

Braided Power steering line...................................................................$65.00
Power steering res...............................................................................$35.00
Power steering hose - low pressure.......................................................$20.00
2JZ-GTE Throttle Cable.........................................................................$65.00

Miscellaneous Parts:

I would have *The Good stuff* For any sealing purposes, oil pan, cam caps around the valve covers, oil pump housing, rear main seal. It works great, and I can say that because I use it on all the motor I do.

I always have a box of spare bolts, I have 1000's just in case you loose a couple and can't remember where they want.
A drill always helps make things easier.

Last edited:

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
If there is anything I have missed please let me know. Pelase remember this is if you have a 5-speed chassis already, otherwise you'll have to buy a lot do 5-speed swap parts.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I am going to link everyone very soon. I am awaiting someone to get me the Adobe PDF files for Toyota Connector plugs. It's a sit of all the Plugs Toyota makes on all models.

iceman

May 11, 2010
columbus ohio
so are you saying theres a diffrence, a 2j water pump and a 1j water pump......if so i gotta buy fan with a clutch from a ls400...

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I didn't end up doing a schematic, i figured Ill just have people send them in, its easier for me that way. I also like having the car here most of the time to test and ensure it was correct.

Yup, you need a non hydro fan water pump backing plate, and a 2jz water pump.

---------- Post added at 11:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 PM ----------

iceman;1596267 said:
so are you saying theres a diffrence, a 2j water pump and a 1j water pump......if so i gotta buy fan with a clutch from a ls400...

Well the hydro water pump from the 1jz is different from the 1jz non hydro and the 2jz doesn't use a hydro pump so yes they're different.

Ls400- FAN with work with a 2JZ water pump, with a STOCK Ma70 Rad. If you upgrade to a 3" aluminum rad it will not fit, and that is why electric fans were used.

hmongmlchiro1

Dec 21, 2009
georgia
I've done alot of research so for because I am planning on doing a 1jz swap to a 89. my first one. but I been talking to alot of great mechanics I know and they mentioned some things that you didn't. Or maybe what I want to know is getting more into the technical stuff. Just wanted to get a second opnion on some things since it seems ya know a good bit.
all comments welcome
Here is a list of some things that you didn't mention(please correct if you fell I am wrong)
-MK4 HIGH pressure power steering hose (you said low pressure)
-need 2jz power steering hose banjo belt (maybe)
-you mentioned to buy a new abs rear speed sensor if I want abs to work.
-can I remove the 7m harness containing ABS sensor plug and progressive power steering
-then remove the 1jz harness to replace it
-for a/c to work take I would need to take the lines/block off of the 7m a/c pump and swap it over to the 1jz engine
-swap hydro fan from 1jz to 7m radiator cause I was told by a few that it can move more air but the bolt holes will not line up
-Not really important= switch from r12 to r134 freon when changing a/c line
-use dash panel connector from old harness and wire into 1j for dash lights and control
-Also I was told that I would need to buy a new housing for the tranny by some, but some said that a turbo 7m comes with a r154 tranny already so wouldn't a r154 tranny from a 1j fit right in?
-I was read somewhere that the oil pan for the jdm 1j sit in towards the rear of the engine and I would have to buy a domestic oil pan to sit in the front so my engine would fit.

I know thats a lot of questions and I may be wrong or heard/read wrong somewhere but all comments and help welcome

Buying 89 targa top 7m-gte this weekend and hope to get a complete 1jzgte engine by next week with all the internal components, ecu, wiring harness, r154 tranny and all the other regular goodies that come with a jdm engine

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
1. I have steel braided line that is the high pressure. 65.00 from drift motion :) - also low pressure lines will be required as well. you can buy them at parts stores basic lines.

2. The power steering hose is what I just listed above in #1

3.The ABS yes if you don't have a sensor you can buy it, and yes you can delete the progressive power steering if you don't want it. That is all up to whoever is doing the swap.

4. As for the A/C I did this without a/c hence the belt # and where to get it.

5. You will need a 1JZ water pump backing plate that is from a mechanical fan, not the hydro fan, there is a difference. Then you can attach a 2JZ water pump with a 2jz or 2jz water pump pulley. A Ls400 fan cltuch will work, and they're a lot cheaper!

6. Again the A/C I did run without, if I did do it with a/c I would have continued what to do. If the new freon from r12 to r143 was used in that system then change, but the MA70 system was made for R12 to my knowledge. Changing it would require a complete flush, and maybe more.

7. That dash lights etc and controls were done when a harness was built. The tech building the harness has already accounted for this and that does not need to be mentioned. If that does then the person working on the car shouldn't have started.

8. the R154 transmission itself fits on the 1jz with a 1JZ bell housing. The transmission are the same minus the bell housing. If you buy a complete swap the R154 that comes with the 1JZ obviously has that one it already.

9. The 1JZ has two oil pans. You will want a rear sump that sits in more or less in the middle bottom of the motor. A front sump sit forward all the way, if you get a 1jz swap out of a Supra ti will come with a rear sump. 1JZ's can come front sump, but if it was from a Supra it will be a rear sump.

-

Hope that helps you. I also hope you plan on the swap taking a little longer. Just make sure everything is set and good to go. No point in rushing such a great development. Good luck with your adventure!

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
You said 2JZ coolant hoses, do you mean from a JZA80 TT? The 2JZ SC300 has different hoses listed.

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
So just a QQ. If I buy a full front clip, will I still need to follow the majority of this list?

Greek

May 20, 2010
Ohio
i'm confused as to why. If I have an MKIII 1j front clip why would I need to purchase additional parts? Can't I just take everything out the engine bay and swap it in mine?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Greek;1639017 said:
i'm confused as to why. If I have an MKIII 1j front clip why would I need to purchase additional parts? Can't I just take everything out the engine bay and swap it in mine?

Alright, let me sum this up fro you.

Oil pressure gauge if you want ti to work on your MKIII USDM car's cluster, you have to use a 7M oil pressure sensor, you'll need the adapter from Drift motion.

Are you going to use the Hydro-pump? If not you'll need a 1JZ water pump backing plate from a mechanical fan, you can't use the one on the motor. If you can't find that, you can use a 2JZ backing plate with a 2JZ water pump. Then you might want a Lexus LS4000 Fan and clutch.

If you want to use the wiring from the Clip you can, but I just bought 2 gauge wire to run from the alternator over to the battery.

Is your car a 5speed already? You will need a r1-54 drive shaft

Throttle cable will be needed 2JZ

GN_Convert

Nov 19, 2010
Florida
Great info, I am going to be swapping a 1JZ into my 90 soon. On Ebay, I see front sump and rear sump. Which do I need?