1jz swap into 87 n/a, walbro fuel pump not coming on

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
Calgary/Brooks, Alberta Canada
Hey everyone,

i searched and i couldnt find a straight answer, but my apologies if this is a simple problem.

this is my first 1jz swap and i have everything done except one or two minor things, finished my hardpipes up to my FMIC last weekend and everything else major is done. The problem im having is my new walbro pump isnt coming on at all. when i turn the ignition on, you cant hear it, when cranking the engine over you cant hear it. from what ive gathered walbros arent library-silent so its not getting voltage, i checked for continuity through the pump and it seems fine, but from what i saw, no power was going to the plug through the body harness. ive even disconnected the fuel hardline at the tank and its bone-dry. theres plenty fuel in the tank as i put in about 5-7 gallons or so (tank was emptied prior).

yes, the fuel pump resistor and relay is in place, but its not making any difference, even tried last weekend the one from my working 88 turbo.

voltage is going back to the fuel level sender as you can hear it click on and off. so im thinking something wiring wise is wrong and unfortunatly, my wiring guy doesnt feel like helping anymore (everything on the harness would appear to be working, save yah know, fuel and all) and decided to have a hissy fit for me calling him about the problem, i wont go into detail.

so what im figuring is that i just want to get the damn thing running and out of my aunts garage, so would it be possible to pull voltage from the fuel level sender to get it to running and then find the primary issue behind no voltage to the main fuel pump plug later on? a friend recommended pulling 12V from a switched (accessory) power source. i will test the pump with power straight from a battery hopefully friday just to confirm its working, but i highly doubt that the brand new walbro pump from driftmotion is dead from the factory.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
First thing first set your ignition on and go into the diagnoses port and paper clip +B and FP. This will bypass the relay/resistor sending 12 volts to the pump. If the pump turns on you have a problem with your relay/resistor wiring or harness. Also double check to make sure the wiring on the fuel pump is good. Hopefully something never got disconnected when you installed the Walbro.

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
so would one be able to run the car at least temporarily in that configuration just to get the car going and moved? ive heard of jumping that to test a pump but not to get an engine running. if there was a problem with the fuel pump relay or wiring, would that idea to pull power from an accessory work in the meantime?

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
It work would work in a sense provided that wire could actually serve 12v. Its not safe though,if the wire was a very small wire(High guage#) it could lead to a fire possibly

NecroCyde

Lurk R
Apr 5, 2005
does anybody know which wires control the fuel pump from the main harness near the engine bay? are they near the fusebox? i traced the fuel pump relay wiring back to the fusebox but i cant tell which may be the exact problem. which wires should i check? the problem probably lies there.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
NecroCyde;1075016 said:
does anybody know which wires control the fuel pump from the main harness near the engine bay? are they near the fusebox? i traced the fuel pump relay wiring back to the fusebox but i cant tell which may be the exact problem. which wires should i check? the problem probably lies there.

http://www.jzgte.com/tech/1jzgte/1JZ-GTE.Wiring.v1.1.pdf

Here is the wiring diagram for the 1JZ. Just follow the wires and see where something got missed.