1jz swap, body work, and alpine sound system

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
Just recently i got the 1jz swap and am still looking for some parts to finish it off. I got it from over seas (not a suprise to any of you guys) and the people that shipped it didn't take the best of care with it so i have some broken parts...:3d_frown:Not fully sure what is broken because it is at my house and i am still at college so i can't get into specific details just yet. I will be back home in about two weeks so i can be more specific than. I am struggling to find a turbo (daul) exhaust system that doesn't look like a big can on the back.
I have already started body work with the spoiler and fixed some broken parts a.k.a almost the whole right side. the person before me never waxed the car so paint is well...lets just say i spend more time waxing the crap out of it than any one person should their entire life.
As for the sound system i am running with the full alpine type-r series. Speaker amp, sub amp, 12" sub, and 6.5" speakers in the front. That is the very first thing to be put in when i get back home.
n1276380243_30101436_6976.jpg

n1276380243_30101433_3268.jpg

n1276380243_30101161_7317.jpg

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
turbojuiced;1000269 said:
very clean and nice. I like let us all know how the swap goes.

i will keep everyone posted. I am young so i am almost certain i will screw up, but that is how i learn. i will put much more up when i get back home and i am glad to hear people appreciate the car.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Don't take this the wrong way, but, the wing is.....I don't like it. Makes it kinda ricey. But if you like it, then that's all that matters. Rock out with your cock out man. Welcome to SM. Don't worry, we all screw up. I think there is a thread somewhere detailing everyone's bone head moves with this car.

turbojuiced

Apr 5, 2008
San Diego/Fairfield
quim mk3;1000362 said:
i will keep everyone posted. I am young so i am almost certain i will screw up, but that is how i learn. i will put much more up when i get back home and i am glad to hear people appreciate the car.

Hey no worries with wanting to learn. Thats how most of us learn anyways. And dont listen to the peanut gallery about the wing. The only thing that matters is if you like it. IMHO it doesnt make it look ricey cause the jza80 have a very similar wing so there ya go.

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
carter;1000384 said:
Nice... Welcome to SM,
Truthfully what I'd do first is lose the wing, outside of that, it looks beautiful.
Carter, J.

so thats how it is going to be huh? just give me crap for the spoiler. no thats cool i found out many of the people here really like the stock turbo spoiler or n/a. i find that the wing squares off the back more and makes the back end look more raised like a muscle car (i know someone will say something about how can it look muscle with a rice spoiler, but for some reason it just does). That was my very first project i did on the car besides getting the tires switched from z rated to x. mounted and painted it with my dad.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
quim mk3;1000581 said:
so thats how it is going to be huh? just give me crap for the spoiler. no thats cool i found out many of the people here really like the stock turbo spoiler or n/a. i find that the wing squares off the back more and makes the back end look more raised like a muscle car (i know someone will say something about how can it look muscle with a rice spoiler, but for some reason it just does). That was my very first project i did on the car besides getting the tires switched from z rated to x. mounted and painted it with my dad.

as long as you like it dude

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
whats great is you realize that from your lack of experience, you recognize you are very likely to make mistakes.

thats the best. you are therefor (in my opinion, of course) that much more likely to recognize your mistakes and learn from them.

i started out the same way, i learned from my father, my friends, and those on the forum more knowledgeable than i, and i have benefited from it. thats the purpose of these forums.

good luck to you and i hope your project is successful!

these cars can be a lot of fun, i hope you enjoy your experience with the mkiii supra!

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
emiliorescigno;1002697 said:
Awesome to see more Minnesota people!

it is good to find some minnesota people. There are 3 mk3's around my area, but i don't know any of them... i take it you are from Minnesota than?

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Oh, yeah my "Location" is a bit deceiving. I'm currently studying abroad in Germany, but I go to St. Cloud State University. Where in MN are you? (Mine is a White 1990, currently being driven by my mom.)

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
kHaNg;1003496 said:
how much was the motor itself?

the motor itself without the tranny or intercooler was around a grand, but there were many 1jz's with the tranny that ran around 2 to 2.5 g's.

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
so i thought i would keep you guys updated on what is going on with the supra. Right now i am putting in the sound system, but am being delayed do to the fact that i am getting ripped off on the wiring system around here so i am going to buy my own roll of wires and create them myself. save me oh say 200 (yes they wanted all the wiring for the sound system for over 350). also i found out what happened to the engine. something fell ontop of it and rolled off breaking the cover to the belts, denting one of the pipes (which my dad ended up fixing pretty well before i got home) and breaking one of the electrical plugs on the side of the engine.
vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
emiliorescigno;1003454 said:
Oh, yeah my "Location" is a bit deceiving. I'm currently studying abroad in Germany, but I go to St. Cloud State University. Where in MN are you? (Mine is a White 1990, currently being driven by my mom.)

Germany huh? that is quiet a place. I am from the cities. Well at least someone is driving the supra better than sitting around. Cars are ment to be driven.

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
HommerSimpson;1012458 said:
Welcome...
Id say the wing would look good if you had more agressive body mods not just stock..

but I kinda like it...
clean to man .......woohoo

thanks. that was the start of the body modifications, but money wise i got held up on that when i got the 1jz so... the body work is on hold. I am looking at some really nice front ends and side skirts, but still cant find a back that i like. I am also eventually going to do a paint job of the same color red because the paint isnt as nice as i want it along with a black strip down the middle that goes with the contour (spelling check?) of the front hood.