1JZ Single Sizing Help

jboyle83

Sep 14, 2009
Madison,AL
Ok, I'm selling my DSM, so with the tax money and DSM money I've decided to go single on the 1jz swap from the word go. I have been in the turbo world for quite sometime, but have never really done large amounts of research on turbo sizing. So after searching (used sizing calculator as well), I am even more confused, so i figured I'd ask for help.

What turbo is going to be a good choice to get me to 500-525 rwhp on a stock internal 1jz, running pump gas, with the quickest spool up? I will be running an electronic boost controller and will tune with 2 sets of settings, one at my horsepower goal, and one on lower boost for daily driving. It will be a street car, with a rare bolt on of slicks to go to the track.

Here are the supporting mods I have planned...

Full 3" Turboback exhaust
FMIC
Intank Walbro feeding an inline Walbro
AFPR Kit
680CC Injectors
Re-braced Ebay T4 Manifold
Tial knock off wastegate (last 2 are basically the Driftmotion setup)
2JZGTE cams (machined of course)
Either MAPECU or MAFTPRO for tuning

Now, I have been looking at 2 turbos so far, the GT35R or a Ball Bearing 60-1.
Will these get me to my goals? If so which turbine housing would be best for quickest spool, but capable of reaching my goals... Or are there some options I'm missing. Any turbos that meet my goals, but may be a little cheaper? I looked at Driftmotions 60-1 and 67 kits, but I am worried that journal bearing turbos are going to be a little too laggy. How much of a spool difference would there be between a BB and a journal bearing turbo?

Thank you for any help, you guys have been awesome so far helping me get this swap figured out.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
There is very little difference in spool on BB and non BB turbo's of equal size. But if you ever blow the turbo you are basicly SOL as most BB turbo's arent rebuildable. I had a DBB T61 and then changed to a journal bearing T61 back to back, you could hardly feel any difference, maybe 100-200 rpms slowe. Larger turbos like a 67mm or bigger the BB really helps, but on 60-62mm's I wouldnt bother. The T61 is a great turbo for 1jz. With a .58 T4 housing I see full boost (16-17 psi) at about 3800 rpms, and I have made 480 rwhp at 21 psi with conservitive tuning. If you are going to keep boost lower than 18-19psi go with the .58, if you want to run mpre go with a .68 or .70 divided. Most T61's use the GT35R compressor wheel. The GT35R is also a great street turbo and is more efficiant with the newer wheels.