1JZ sensor problem

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I have a problem with my 1JZ-GTE.

My car used to make a nice clean tone when it was under load, now it sounds rough and the smell of unburned gas is coming from the exhaust.

I took it to a mechanic and I explained the symptoms to him. He suggested it may be a bad coil or something with the ignition system.

After school I went to check on my car. He hadn't pulled anything apart yet but noticed this:

wv9yck.jpg

He showed me that oil is leaking into that sensor from the engine. He put his light on it and sure enough it looks like the thing is flooded with oil.

So does anyone know what this sensor is? And how could oil climb into the sensor? Any help is appreciated.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Its one of the two cam position sensors. If one is not working properly it will cause rough running like you say. The 2jz engine uses the same sensors so replacements aren't too hard to find.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I would check your coils for cracks, and make sure the coil pack connectors are in good shape (locking tabs!). Also make sure the gap is 28 thousandths.

Oil on the cam position sensor would shouldn't be a problem. If it was causing an issue, you would have issues all the time, not just under boost.

Nice hatch decal BTW. you copycat ;)