1jz problems

jono

Feb 24, 2009
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Okay so about 3 weeks ago i dropped a 1jz soarer in to my 87 supra originally auto converted to 5 speed got it all wired up started right up the 1st try. 1st try driving started breaking up at 3k-3500 rpms so far i been starting the car with a trigger switch i wasn't able to start the car with the original starter wire reason is because when the car is on it's getting constant power. engine light only comes on when the car is off and when the car is on it goes away and hooking up te1 to e1 no codes...

i got all the wiring info from here **How to wire a soarer 1JZ into MA70**

So far i done was swap a bunch a stuff and make sure every thing was grounded out correctly.
here a list of things i done. new crank sensor, swapped out throttle bodies, swapped out igniters, new map sensor. shrink wrapped my coils, checked for resistance. i can't remember what ill i done

i honestly think some thing hooked up backwards and is causing it to break up at 3k rpms and get constant power if some one can please help me to the right direction that would help me out so much

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
What is your spark plug gap?
And if your coils are cracked you need to epoxy them and then shrink wrap.

jono

Feb 24, 2009
its a complete stock 1jz only has y pipe and 3inch down pipe with DM intercooler kit and fuel lines are stock with the dampener. spark plugs I am using the ones it came with when the 1jz was shipped. spark plugs where checked. also i am using 1in shrink tube not wrap really thick stuff from napa cost me about $26 i believe for 2 tubes that where 6in long. by the way i am getting some good working coils soon to see if that thelps

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Spark break up can be pretty bad. And it's pretty common on these cars.

Have you checked for codes?

And is your map sensor and wiring working correctly?

jono

Feb 24, 2009
like i said I'm not able to pull any codes not even if i ground out earth to ground witch is weird the first time i hooked up my harness the oil pressure gauge just shot up to 120 psi and now its stuck there even when i disconnect the battery it goes down and my starter wire is getting straight power and was causing the wire to get hot so when i have the car on ignition

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Well first is sounds like your wiring at the body connectors is screwed.

Which if not wired correctly your cel light is prolly not hooked up which is why you wouldnt see codes.

fix the wiring first.

jono

Feb 24, 2009
so m1 and b1 plugs? ill go threw them again also I'm not sure if it make a difference if my car is automatic and i swapped it to manual and I'm getting my info from this sticky**How to wire a soarer 1JZ into MA70** and I'm using the b1 clip from a 7m manual harness. i noticed the the b1 clips on the automatic 7m harness has and extra or 2 wires more