1jz overheating !!!!!

SUPRA721

Jul 15, 2008
CLEVELAND
i have a 90 supra with a 1jz, this is a long story . first of i had the head re done because off the valve seals leaking at the same time i had the 2jz cams installed the lower end was re done new piston rings and bearing. i re installed the motor and ever since then it over heats. i replaced the water pump the thermostat still over heating replaced radiator , by pass the heater core and still over heated. i removed the head and had the shop that re built the head re check it and they found nothing. re installed the head and the car still over heats. there is no coolant in the oil and its not leaking. i airlift the coolant system and still nothing. i check the coolant level everytime the level is low. i just have no idea were to go from here

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
kneedragger85;1752746 said:
Do you have a fan shroud?

I'm not running a shroud, no overheating here.

OP, what fan set-up are you running?
When does the car overheat? only while idling, only accel, cruising? etc.

Sam

SUPRA721

Jul 15, 2008
CLEVELAND
clucth fan, already replaced it and still the same it over heates no matter what driving,idling and on the highway.

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
I would actually suspect the turbo's....as they are watercooled and gets damn hot some times. But in reality you must have a circualtion-problem with a serious blockage somwhere. i'd recomend that you might take your waterpump off, and somehow flush the cylinderblock and head with water in the oposite way of the Normal flowdirection. By doing so with every complex componet in the cooling-system; Any debree blockage will probably come out easily... and of course, everything should be flowing easily through the engine, if not, there's your blockage.

When that's said, Have you done a cylinder lekage test? That will also give you alots of answers. A good friend of mine had a huge leak in one cylinder on his V8 marine-engine earlier this year, and the conclusion was a cracked cylinderblock due to not draining the engine for coolant (ie, just water) when the winter kicked in... :p

SUPRA721

Jul 15, 2008
CLEVELAND
ok so i flushed the system and re filled it , i took it out or a drive today it got up to 210 then temp stated to go down to around 180 then it just whant up very fast all the way up to 260 no coolant leak, next step leak down test

Radial

Aug 20, 2011
Norway
Hmm, all instruments show overheat, but no coolant is leaking!? Thats not posible, your overflow reservioar should sound like a boiler with such high temparatures. Pressure will exeed a certian limit (depends on rad cap pressurerating) and steam/coolant will open the Radiator-cap and make a significant dump into the coolant-reservioar.

I suppose the air blowing through the radiator gets pretty hot? It's a silly question, I know :)
Anyway, the leakage-test will probably give you some good answers :) Good luck!

SUPRA721

Jul 15, 2008
CLEVELAND
WELL I WENT TO THE JUNK YARD AND PICKED UP electric AND WIRED IT IN TO SEE IF IT FIXED IT. TOOK THE CAR OUT AND NO MORE OVERHEATING !!! THE TEMP WAS AT 186 THE WHOLE TIME, NOW ITS TIME TO BUY SOME FLEX A LITE FANS

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
SUPRA721;1753488 said:
WELL I WENT TO THE JUNK YARD AND PICKED UP electric AND WIRED IT IN TO SEE IF IT FIXED IT. TOOK THE CAR OUT AND NO MORE OVERHEATING !!! THE TEMP WAS AT 186 THE WHOLE TIME, NOW ITS TIME TO BUY SOME FLEX A LITE FANS
Ford Taurus fans > Flex-a-lite fans