1jz or 2jz

Status
Not open for further replies.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
hey guys well, i got a big dilemma im deciding on a motor swap and i just stuck on what to choose. Im not really experienced with the two motors on reliability and performance wise. the reason for the swap is that I've got rod knock and i was thinking of building my 7m with all forged internals but just the fact its going to be almost the same as a 1j or a 2j swap. if anyone has any info on these motors like pros and cons on both please let me know:1zhelp:.

or should i just stick with the 7m and build it up. My 7m mods are on my sig.

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
Rodknock eh? that sucks! You should come by the meet this sunday at randy's shop and take a look at his 1j swap and my jza70 and if jeremy shows up take a look at his 2j swapped car. its gonna come down to you own personal preference though in the end. 2j's are a bit more work to swap in from what I've read but parts can be found at any toyota dealer etc and 1js are a bit easier to swap but are a bit trickier finding parts but are easily enough sourced from japan and only take about a week to get here. Plus most aftermarket parts are going to have to be sourced from far and wide for a 2j where we have randy and such locally that already makes a bunch of wonderful parts for the 1j. Or you could stay 7m.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
JustinGotA1j;1084572 said:
Rodknock eh? that sucks! You should come by the meet this sunday at randy's shop and take a look at his 1j swap and my jza70 and if jeremy shows up take a look at his 2j swapped car. its gonna come down to you own personal preference though in the end. 2j's are a bit more work to swap in from what I've read but parts can be found at any toyota dealer etc and 1js are a bit easier to swap but are a bit trickier finding parts but are easily enough sourced from japan and only take about a week to get here. Plus most aftermarket parts are going to have to be sourced from far and wide for a 2j where we have randy and such locally that already makes a bunch of wonderful parts for the 1j. Or you could stay 7m.

yeah randy's 1jz is so clean i saw it 2 weeks ago at the track, yeah i might come by but not with the supra but well just have to see. i want to see jeremys 2j i've only seen it in pictures, and ive been reading up on a few 1j and 2j builds and they almost look identical, but the 2j makes nice power off the box and same with the 1jz, but with staying with the 7m i love the tq but just the amount of money and time and finding a good machine shop local that i can trust is hard. thats why im planning on dropping the 7m for a jz, so there might be a part out soon lol.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
So money isn't an issue, a 1 or 2j swap is still not exactly cheap. A built 7m that is reliable is still more feasible.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
CryoSlash;1084730 said:
why the 1j?

upgradedsupra;1084728 said:
x2

A great engine and reliable as any.

yeah there reliable, you know of a good local machine shop?

D34DC311;1084719 said:
So money isn't an issue, a 1 or 2j swap is still not exactly cheap. A built 7m that is reliable is still more feasible.

well i can get a 1j for 1000 and a 2j complete w/o trans for 1800 with just under 80km. so after i do the little maintance like valve covers, water pump, seals and gaskets and bell housing its going to be the same as the 7m build

Poodles;1084695 said:
You'll have an abused 1J/2J or a built 7M...

Come on, it's a no brainer...

well it is a no brainer but for a 2jz for 1800 you cant go wrong especially when its with low KM.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
You're missing the point.

YOU ARE DEALING WITH USED UNKNOWN ENGINES.

They may have NEVER had the oil changed. You can't assume that the internals are fine. Hell, by your own thought process, you could simply find another used 7M block and just use that.

It is NOT the same as a BRAND NEW BUILD ENGINE.

On the supbect of the 2J, it's not built for boost, and you'll have to dump a LARGE amount of money into making everything work with it.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
in your case i would go 2jz.

being that you live in canada you can personally pic out your motor. if i was able to walk into a store like tigerjapanese and inspect a motor before i bought it like you would be able to i would go for it. plus if they give you any trouble you can talk to them in person or yell. lol.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
starscream5000;1084755 said:
Stick with what you've got and rebuild it.

yeah i just spoke with duane and he made a good point on the 7m. so now im looking on a build-up

poodles- yeah your right that they might not have been oil changed but its prolly just the fact that its a 2jz, but yeah a unknown motor could lead to anything like a money pit, but i guess i can build my 7m the right way only once and i know what the internals look like.

DonS1mpson

Black Supramacist.
Mar 19, 2006
England!
Poodles;1084695 said:
You'll have an abused 1J/2J or a built 7M...

Come on, it's a no brainer...

This.

I love the fact that people think that just because their motors are from Japan, the motors have been meticiously maintained. Wrong. The Japanese are people just like me and you. - They've lapsed on maintenance , they've ragged their cars from cold and not left given their turbos Sufficient time to cool down after sprinted drives. Also, the mileage claims made for these JDM motors are complete and utter BULL, so don't be too surprised if that bargain 50,000km motor and been to the moon a couple of times and back.

If reliability is really at the top of your list, I don't see how you can go wrong with a 7M built PROPERLY. It certainly beats the option of a engine with a completely unknown mileage and history...

Edit: (in the hour or so it took me to finally finish this post, Poodles said everything I was going to say, haha)

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
black89t;1084761 said:
in your case i would go 2jz.

being that you live in canada you can personally pic out your motor. if i was able to walk into a store like tigerjapanese and inspect a motor before i bought it like you would be able to i would go for it. plus if they give you any trouble you can talk to them in person or yell. lol.

haha yeah theres motors everywhere here. locally i found 5 2jz and there like 10min away from my house. but the motor i was looking at is in ontario.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
arizzle;1084737 said:
well i can get a 1j for 1000 and a 2j complete w/o trans for 1800 with just under 80km. so after i do the little maintance like valve covers, water pump, seals and gaskets and bell housing its going to be the same as the 7m build

LOL, yea, thats just the engine, go add up everything else.
I've spent now around 10k on my swap and finally have everything together, and I'm just sticking with the twins for now. Its not just the engine your buying.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Status
Not open for further replies.