1jz on its way!!!!!

marks332

Mar 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
So guys me and my dad finally found the right 1jz TT for our N/A 92 supra swap.(the red one in my profile pic). It should be here in 2-3 days! i cant wait, and i was wondering if there is anything you guys can tell me?? im super excited so what should i expect? coming from a N/A is it a big performance jump? any advice or anything i would love to have!!!. thanks guys!

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
marks332;1878243 said:
i cant wait, and i was wondering if there is anything you guys can tell me?? im super excited so what should i expect? coming from a N/A is it a big performance jump? any advice or anything i would love to have!!!. thanks guys!
Read the "JZ swap for dummies" thread in the JZ section (even if you're not a dummy, lot of good info in there) for starters. Three things I've learned in the last few years of daily driving a 1j:
-Replace all the gaskets and rubber parts now, when the engine is out of the car. Same goes for the y-pipe if you want to stick with the twins, get one of those (may have to machine the flanges for a good fit), and rejoice in not having to swap it out IN the car when the HP bug bites. Actually, replace anything you don't want to do in the car now. ;)
-Headwork goes a long way with these engines.
-Take your time and do it right the first time, and it will be a good engine for you.

As for the performance jump? Yeah, it will be a bit. I would say 4-5 seconds, easily. 4-5 seconds to 60 (if you're good with your feet), 4-5 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile than the car is now... you'll enjoy it. Sheesh, I just realized, you're putting this into an NA car? Then you have the 4.30 diff... hopefully its the LSD. Gonna be a very quick car. ;)

gaboonviper85;1878262 said:
Get rid of the twins while the motor is out and put a ct26 on instead.
They're good turbos, and if you can fabricate your own manifold, I would say go for it. Not really an easy, "on the shelf" method of doing this though.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
te72;1878314 said:
Read the "JZ swap for dummies" thread in the JZ section (even if you're not a dummy, lot of good info in there) for starters.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ur-1JZ-GTE-And-2JZ-GTE-Swap-Guide-For-Dummies

te72;1878314 said:
As for the performance jump? Yeah, it will be a bit. I would say 4-5 seconds, easily. 4-5 seconds to 60 (if you're good with your feet), 4-5 seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile than the car is now... you'll enjoy it. Sheesh, I just realized, you're putting this into an NA car? Then you have the 4.30 diff... hopefully its the LSD. Gonna be a very quick car. ;)

Agreed.

It's going to be a whole new car for you and very very quick compared to a 7M-GE totally different League.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
marks332;1878659 said:
awesome! thanks i cant wait! and arent the stock twins CT26's? if not what are the stock ones?
Good Lord... if you had two CT26's on a 1j, that would be a hoot to say the least. The CT26 is one of the larger stock turbos ever put on a production car... the 1jz has CT12's stock. Think along the lines of a GT25, or a TD04-16g if you're familiar with other common small turbos.

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
Definitely get rid of the stock twins while the engine is sitting on the stand and get a single turbo. I wish I had done this because my turbos are already smoking and I swapped my 1J into my Supra in April. Won't hurt to spend some extra cash and go full standalone right off the bat so that you don't have to worry about an ECU frying itself on you. Also you should do the timing belt and get a 2JZ Water Pump from Toyota too.

You will love this engine, it pulls hard and sounds so unique. I've gotten a compliment of how my 1J Supra sounds from a guy driving a modded Ferrari 550 Maranello.

-AR-

Sep 16, 2012
FL
brakes are must! dont let anyone fool you. ive heard alot of stories and yesterday i drove my car to work for the first time... didnt even realized that the breaks locked up on me on a half throttle pull over a hill...had to choose between putting the nose on the shoulder or up under a xB box at the light..i chose shoulder of course...

in short buy brakes!

marks332

Mar 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
whats wrong with upgrading the twins? is that bad? why would they make the engine twin turbo if everyone just changed them for a single....?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
marks332;1879003 said:
whats wrong with upgrading the twins? is that bad? why would they make the engine twin turbo if everyone just changed them for a single....?

Beecause the engine was designed in 1990..... Lol

There's nothing wrong with the twins if you don't mind staying around 300-340whp range but there out dated and old.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
You can have Albert rebuild the twins.

Stock twins are not the best as they tend to be in bad shape or will get to that point after a few thousand miles. When you add a single on the car, you open yourself up to so much more space, power and less headaches with all those lines and piping on that side of the motor eliminated. In short, just do it if your budget allows. If not, you can upgrade them and that will do as Albert does good work. If you choose not to upgrade them, when it does go bad, be prepared to get some stubby wrenches and busted nuckles if you leave the motor in the car while doing the upgrade or pulling the motor out and doing it in a day.

I highly advise you to rebuild or go single....

This is coming from a 1JZ guy...

marks332

Mar 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
damn.. okay thanks ill pass that on to my dad. haha real quick thou. would upgrading the twins to two better twins be faster than one big single turbo? cause then u have more boost in all rpm's? idk just confused a little. i now understand yalls reasonings with thestock twins being unreliable but i dont see why taking them out completely and making it single is the best option. i feel like better twins would be faster than a single....? if im wrong PLEASE correct me. i'm here to learn !!

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Depends on h.p goals and what type of driving you want to do with the car.

Single turbo = cheaper and more reliable ( less to break) then upgraded twin setup (just to be clear I'm not talking about a ct upgrade as I know that would be a slightly cheaper option then a single setup)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
What are your power goals? Albert upgrades these to newer style wheels. I won't say any specific information as I won't have a clue to what I am talking about when it comes to those wheels.

Check out his section in the MISC vendors area.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
marks332;1879085 said:
no specific power goals just thought it would be faster with two better twins vs one big single

Single Turbo > Twin Turbo Power making wise... Think of every 1000whp 2JZ you see always Single Turbo

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
The 4 main reason's i got rid of them and what i think most people do it for also

1. They are Power limited to around 350 MAX

2. They are 20+ years old and tend to break easy (Reliability)

3. Going single is less parts to deal with and in the end you whined up with a much cleaner engine bay that is a lot easier to work on

4. I believe if done right with a single you can eliminate a lot of engine bay heat thus making everything else last longer

MNBmk3T

Aug 2, 2011
Burnaby, BC
You can upgrade the twins but again you run into a wall eventually where the turbos just can not flow enough air to make more horsepower. The best is to go single turbo, this way you can choose a turbo that will spool quickly and have less lag, or you can choose something bigger have a bit more turbo lag BUT have stupid top end power. This is the advantage of going single. If you choose a smaller turbo initially and want more power, all you have to do is buy a bigger turbo, and ensure that your fuel system can compensate for the additional air that the turbo will be flowing. Plus if you choose to upgrade the twins, drop the motor in, and later down the road realize that you want to go single turbo, getting those twins out with the engine in the car is one hell of a PITA. I still have the twins in my car and am now realizing that I should have spent the extra money to go single first off.

marks332

Mar 12, 2012
Yorktown, VA
alright thanks guys, the engine we got thou only has 30k miles on it thou so out twins should be in pretty well shape so im hoping we will have a while before the turbos have any main issues. but i agree now we will probably go single once these twins poop out.