1JZ not starting

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
87 with a JZA70 1JZ motor. Car sat for 2 years with previous owner, went to start it and fired right up no issues. Drove the car home and have been driving it daily ever since. Car is completely stock besides driftmotion intake and intercooler with 3 inch piping.

Things ive done to the engine:
Changed oil and filter
Changed air Filter
Changed plugs with ngk platinum iridiums gapped to .28 (car ran after new plugs were installed)

Symptoms:
Car started to act up when starting when hot, cranked would catch once but not start. Waited 30 seconds, cranked again car would fire right up. Been doing it for past few days, but most only when its hot.
Car will now not catch at all. It will turn over all day long but no hiccup at all.
When i first drove the car home the CEL was working when i turned the car power on, and now i have no check engine light whatsoever, even when TE1 and E1 are jumped.

Solutions:
Checked EFI fuse, still good
Checked plugs to coil packs all were plugged in and good

What i intend to do after work:
Pull a plug make sure im getting spark
Check fuse inside kick panel for ECU to make sure the ecu is getting power
Pull ecu and check capacitors
Check if car is getting fuel(not sure which way is best)
Change fuel filter

Question:
Anything else i should be looking at? easiest way to check to see if im getting fuel? Thanks in advance for any answers you have.

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
after making sure all of the above is good to go, I would check the coolant temperature sensor if the other items do not solve it.

shipkiller

Sep 16, 2010
Quebec
no CEL when you put the key to on and no cel with the jumpers (e1 and te1) is a symptoms of a dead ecu (check the caps and board thorougly)

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
So opened the ecu some of the caps were leaking.
Replaced all 5 caps and still no start. Checked spark again, nothing.

Not getting power to the ECU if i check the wires that feed the ecu power.
Tomorrow going to check the Main Relay and wiring and grounding

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Checked the Main EFI Relay due to the ecu not getting power. Checked the orange black wire from the relay to the ECU, continuity is good.
Checked to see if im getting constant power at the terminal that needs it for the relay and i am.
Checked the terminal on the relay that provides power with the ignition switch turned and got nothing.
Checked the ground going to EFI Relay and its good.
The other prong is for the Check engine light if im correct.

Took a jumper wire from the positive battery cable to the terminal that is supposed to have power when the ignition switch is turned, got a CEL and the car fired right up. So where im at now is the ignition switch is not providing power to the terminal that needs it that connects to main EFI relay.
Pulled the ignition switch and found this
p1893013_1.jpg

it had gotten hot enough to burn a hole in the thick sleeving that surrounds the wiring. The wire that is jacked up is the black/white wire as to which i havent looked up what its for, but picked up a new switch anyways because i don't like the wiring anyway. The car also has a turbo timer in the car which doesn't work and id like to get rid of. Ive never installed one, could that have any issues with the switch not supplying power?

525gte

Sep 19, 2011
hoquiam
Mrkiiitattoos had this exact problem. And I belive his ecu was burnt on that side of the board from a short at somepoint. maybe he can chime in on this. I think he had it fixed at drift motion

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
When I opened the ECU, the only issues I saw was a capacitor or two leaking, which instead if replacing just the bad ones I replaced all of them. Upon further inspection of the board I really didn't see anything that would cause alarm. Although I did see some fluid type residue kind of scattered around the board. But no burning or shorted contacts.

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
So got a new ignition switch just for piece of mind i knew it wouldnt fix the problem but put the new one in and started checking stuff with the test light. With the switch in the run position, it is still not sending power to the EFI main relay. I tested all the terminals on the back of the switch and the only two wires receiving no power is the Black with white stripe wire, and the brown with red stripe wire. Somewhere from the switch back to the EFI main relay there is a wiring issue.

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
try this. it helped with similar issues i was having on my buddies 1jz swap, no start and CEL issue. it's quick and easy to test.

(jump/bypass main relay) note red jumper wire.

p1893908_1.jpg

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
87supraguy;1893908 said:
try this. it helped with similar issues i was having on my buddies 1jz swap, no start and CEL issue. it's quick and easy to test.

(jump/bypass main relay) note red jumper wire.

p1894030_1.jpg

Tried that first, it works just fine, but no offense to anyone that's a half assed way of fixing the issue. Just traced wiring to the fp relay which has no continuity across two terminals. Thanks for the tip, if I hadn't of figured that one out you'd be my lifesaver! Lol

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
ended up going back to the ecu. Checked the power on the actually posts in the ecu and the mrel was not recieving power. So i need to follow the lead and see if i can fix it.

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
I ever got to send in my ecu yet, Arron does not take Paypal so I need to get a new bank card.

I am have the same issue still, I'm about as far as you with figuring it out. But t seems like you might have better luck than me. I hope you are able to trace it down.
Do you think it is a wiring problem?

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Answer to my issue was in previous post. The actual pin in the ECU is not getting power to the board. So the copper tract on the ECU pin MREL is not receiving power. Somewhere in the ECU the copper tract is damaged or not making contact with a capacitor or internal electric piece.