1JZ Intake Manifold to a 7M-GTE?

Amstaff

Jun 19, 2010
Umeå
Nosechunks;1656420 said:
You need to cut both lower manifold runners almost half way or to where ever they closest fit and then weld them together. If your going to do that you may as well put in a little more work and make a custom one on that stock 7m runners.

Yeah I think thats the best idea, I´m about to buy 3 of them, 2 to my Supras and 1 to my friend.
I´m building a 4-500hp "daily drivable" MK3 and a 700+ MK3 for more fun stuff :D

First one with Lipp Boss SR 650hp turbo and the other one gets the biggest Holset HX50 that should be able to give atleast 800hp.
Dont like the org. manifold at all, really sucks to try to fit 3" pipes at the right side of the car to fit it against the 3000pipe.
I´ve got atleast 5 manifold runners to 7mgte (I´ve got 3 and my friend 2 engines)

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
There arent any sensors in the manifold unless your referring to the ISC valve or TPS on the throttle body. I believe the ISC's from m series to jz series are the same, TPS im unsure.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
The ISCV for the 1J is different than the 7M's, but it is plug and play on the wiring harness. It should work properly, but can't say for certain that it will. The 7M TPS will not work since the 1J's throttle body's butterfly opens in the opposite direction. Supposedly the 1J's TPS can be made to work since the values are similar, but I'm not having any luck.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Get a ffim. Sethron in the vendor section makes them.

Using a 1j manifold on a 7m is going to flow like crap even if you do get it to bolt up.

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
hvyman;1928746 said:
Get a ffim. Sethron in the vendor section makes them.

Using a 1j manifold on a 7m is going to flow like crap even if you do get it to bolt up.

Depends on how you fabricate it. I have the 7M upper runners welded directly into the 1JZ plenum so there is a nice smooth flow. I'm putting down good power with my current setup and the throttle response and spool are great. I'm not saying that a Sethron or RonR FFIM wouldn't be an improvement, but I can't imagine by much.

Here's an old pic before the welds were cleaned up and polished
p1928788_1.jpg

Here's my most recent dyno

Vid:
[video=youtube;VGeuF48W_CI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGeuF48W_CI[/video]

Chart:
p1928788_2.jpg

Last edited:

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I still haven't seen any evidence that changing the intake manifold to a FFIM makes any actual power gains.

Lots of people have posted gains, but they always change more than just the intake manifold when they do so.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If you go with a larger plenum, the volume of air will certainly be greater. It is just a lot of extra work and fabrication, not to mention trying to reinvent the wheel.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
So what would a larger plenum mean in terms of power? Would that not negate the few ms lag decrease that people credit to a shorter intake tract? come to think of it, the 7M-GE intake manifold is a larger plenum as well, seeing as how it has the "Y" pipe after the throttle body. That's not an insignificant volume. I bet that I could get a GE intake manifold a lot cheaper than any FFIM for the 7M. (I believe that it's been credited for some power increase too, due to its design)

A larger TB would help, sure, but that could be done on the stock intake with less work, I'm sure, and really has nothing to do with the intake manifold being front facing. I bet that it wouldn't be too difficult to adapt a stock (Or a GE for that matter) manifold to accept a larger throttle body. Certainly cheaper and easier than making a whole manifold.

Until I see some comparison dyno charts showing the same engine before and after, running the same turbo, boost control, blow-off valve, throttle body, engine management, a comparable intercooler core, and piping size (Obviously IC routing has to be different) showing measurable gains from a FFIM, I'll personally file it as an appearance modification which has no place on my car. I might even reconsider if someone can show significant weight savings from the front of the car by losing a couple of feet of IC piping. LOL!

MarkIII4Me

Project OVERKILL!!!
Apr 10, 2005
Charleston, SC
I agree that an FFIM conversion on a 7M is mostly cosmetic, but two of the main reasons I performed it was for easier access around the engine bay and better choices of intercoolers.

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I would think that there are easier ways to make about any intercooler fit, but okay. Easier access to the engine bay, I suppose, but I figure that the payback time for the work it takes to install the FFIM would be a very long one.

Less IC piping, okay, but what does that REALLY gain you? I had figured it out to be a handful of ms lag time at best, and that was calculating for the entire length of IC piping at 3" ID. Considering that most of any lag time is turbo spooling anyway... I guess I'd group that with the engine bay access. It might shave a few of ounces off of the front end of the car, but most of those FFIMs look like they probably add a few pounds.

For cooler intake temperatures, I can understand the reasoning behind it that you have your nicely intercooled charge passing right over the exhaust manifold, but if I sit down to do the math, even if the air over the exhaust manifold is at 300 deg F, (Highly unlikely, in fact, while the car is in motion, I'd bet on less than 150 average temp) and you are using 3" ID 1/16" wall copper tube (The thinnest, most heat conductive material that I could model with the largest reasonable surface area) AND you were somehow intercooling the air to 0 deg F (Lots of dry ice on the intercooler maybe?) while running the engine at about 2500 RPM with 8" mercury vacuum (reasonable cruising = relatively slow flow through pipe) you increase intake temp charges by less than 1 degree over 16" of pipe. There just isn't enough energy transfer without forcing an exchange.

It's a different story if you add another 30 square inches of fins to the pipes, plus add "X" fins inside the pipe and confine the hot air from the exhaust so that it must convect over the additional exterior surface area...

If you're worried about intake air temps, then put some heat wrap around the IC piping, but I'd bet that you won't be able to measure a change in your intake charge temps.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Dan_Gyoba;1928855 said:
So what would a larger plenum mean in terms of power?

Everything. That is the only reason others upgrade that are not driving a Supra. Like Mustang, Camaro, Corvette....