1jz intake mani removal

bkma71

supra coupe
Jun 7, 2005
troutdale, Oregon
Anyone have any advice on removing the intake manifold. I got it all unbolted but can't figure out how to pull the wire harness out from between the runners.

bkma71

supra coupe
Jun 7, 2005
troutdale, Oregon
Anyone? Messed with it for another few hours and after getting in there more it seems freaking impossible to remove intake mani in car due to the harness running threw and back to the trans on the top of the trans. Im thinking bout just cutting the wire to the trans and putting a connector there so I can pull the connector threw the runners. Gah this is a pain in the azz or Im retarded or both. I don't get why they didnt just run the harness under the intake mani and put the inj and other few sensors up threw the runners instead of having the main harness on top the intake. I think Im gunna have to change that.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Yeah... the sensors/wiring below have to be disconnected... Knock sensors, ground points, starter, A/C , and maybe a couple of others. Yeah, they're a PITA and I've thought the same things many times. If you plan to remove/replace the intake often, then yeah, I'd maybe cut and splice that wiring into a new connector that can be connected/disconnected from between the runners.

I'll double-check the extra harness I have, but get a male & female connector (and pigtails) to hold enough wires to do this mod. Be sure to do it properly... solder and shrinkwrap, then protect a bit further.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
remember the harness bolts to the engine in a couple of places as well. what helped me was removing the TB

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Well I would like to revise my statement about pulling the intake manifold. It looked very tight in my motor bay and I tried to see how easy it would be. It looks like a pain, but I guess if people are saying it is not then I will go with that.

Last edited:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Done it a few times and can remove/replace the manifold in about 90 minutes. The knock sensors are the worst 'cause even when you think you're pushing hard enough on the connector's release clip, the connector won't budge. So it takes alot of effort and patience and even long, bent needle nose pliers sometimes. Definitely DO NOT tug on those wires. I've got an extra set of knock sensor connectors on hand, which I was going to use for a knock sensor re-wire, but have thankfully not had to use 'em.

There's a small , hidden 10mm bolt holding the harness onto the manifold (facing the firewall), but if you know where it's at, you can get to it.

Krister

Holset lover
May 2, 2005
Finland, Europe
92TealSupra;1364372 said:
I would never advise anyone on removing the 1JZ/2JZ intake manifold without pulling the motor.

Are you serious? It just takes an hour to take off my stock 2JZ-GTE intake manifold. I would NEVER pull the engine because of the intake manifold, that's just plain dumb.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I thought about doing a simple write up, for removing/replacing the manifold, but once you've done it, it's too easy. The 1st time I tried on the 1J, it took me over 7 hours. Yes, 7 hours! Mostly 'cause of that little Fing hidden 10mm bolt. After that, 2 hours max for removing/replacing (with some breaks along the way).

If I come across any of my extra manifolds, I'll snap a couple of pics and point out the trouble spots.

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
I have my 2J intake mani off in way less than an hour. I dont know how it is on the 1J, but it is cake on the 2J compared to the 7m.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yeah It takes me a good 30-40 minutes to get it all off, and most of that is fighting with my 3" IC pipe since I have a koyo and hydrofan. I would NEVER pull the motor for the intake manifold lol! Once you get all the connectors memorized you can move through it pretty quick since you know all the angles. Just dive in and make sure you have it all disconnected before you go tugging on the harness.