1JZ Harmonic Dampener Failure

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Well, my harmonic dampener took a shit. I took her up to about 4.5k, felt a little rattle, and heard the scream of my serpentine.

Good news: I can't find any collateral damage

The bad news: I am at apartment away from any garage that I can use.

Is it possible to swap the pulley without pulling the engine? Does a 2jz pulley work? or should I spring for the expensive ATI?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Idk if the 1jz and 2jz dampers are the same but t hey look like it.

Did the dampner itself come apart or did the bolt back off?

Supposed to be torqued to 243ft lbs.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
1JZ & 2JZ Dampers are the same, i say spend the $$ on an ATi unit. Its new and proven. The OEM one is good but getting a used one is just going to cause the same issue you are having now later down the road. Either that or get a new pulley but they are so expensive that an ATi unit is justified. I also hear that those pulleys are a PITA to install. Yes you can install with motor in but you're going to have to remove the radiator

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Ok, well that's good news. Radiator is easy compared to pulling the motor. Thanks for chiming in. I will have to compare the ATI and new stock prices...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
hvyman;1728589 said:
Supposed to be torqued to 243ft lbs.
I about shit myself when I read that in the TSRM when we were putting my engine back together...

OneJArpus;1728624 said:
Yes you can install with motor in but you're going to have to remove the radiator
I honestly think this would be easier since you'll have the transmission locked up to torque against. Not much fun trying to torque that bolt without something sturdy holding it in place.

That said, considering what Toyota OEM parts cost, I'd spring the little bit extra for the ATI. If this ever happens to me, that will be my route.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Some of the ATI's are machined really small, so heat up the gear before putting it over the crank.

Since everyone has a preference, I am rockin' the Fluidampr.

p1729794_1.jpg