1jz hard to start

Torque

Sep 7, 2008
In your home
Hey guys, I have a really annoying problem with my supra. The problem is that it starts fine sometimes and some time I have to turn the key 6,7,8,9 times for it to start, sometimes it dont start at all, but i hear a click and the whine of my walbro pump. I have done a search but got nothing but headaches from it. Do you guys think it's a bad starter or bad wiring? Do you think the rewire would work for the 1jz starter? I really want to correct this problem granted my car is not a daily driver, I would hate to drive the car and get stranded in the middle of nowhere. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Dose it turn at all? It engages but doesn't turn? If you hear fast clicks then it could be the battery.
Generally if you only hear a click and the starter doesn't turn, it's usaully the starter, it could just be stuck on a bad commutator, sorry my spelling sucks.

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
theres a write up on the started problem that happens with the wiring on the mkiii body, when the wires go old the signal for the starter isnt as strong, so with a relay you can increase the signal going to the starter, this may be your issue if your just getting a click. Fixed my issue. hope this helps

Torque

Sep 7, 2008
In your home
No the car doesnt turn over or fire. I just hear a single click each time I turn the key. So K20Maniac, you think with the relay mod my car will start starting normally?

Aug 12, 2010
P.G. County, Maryland
Single loud click from behing the firewall, sounds like the back of the head where the starter is? Try a new battery. Either it's seized, the starter wires are arcing, or your battery is dead. Personal opinion.

Torque

Sep 7, 2008
In your home
Nah the battery is good, It has something to do with the starter. I think i'm gonna try the relay mod and see if it helps any.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
I have the same problem with my 1j. this problem is common with turbo engines even the nissan RB turbo engines have this problem, but there isnt a need to worry nothing is wrong, because the engine will work if you turn the key long enough.

BoostMonger

PUSH IT TO THE LIMIT
Sep 5, 2011
Shadows of Utah
87M-GTE;1657125 said:
+1

I'd look at getting a new starter.
Try tapping the starter with a hammer, sometimes they tend to bind up.

So, The car isn't firing either?

Sam

+1 hit it with a hammer, attempt to crank, if nothing get jumper cable and crank the starter directly

1Jz-Rx8

Jan 2, 2012
Pakistan
it would have been helpful if you could tell us how you fixed the problem.
i had the similar problem in the end it was battery wires that needed to be replaced. :aigo:
and the whole time i was thinking its the starter