1JZ-GTE VVT-i JZX100 vs. 1JZ-GTE JZA70 Engine Differences

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I'm sorry if this has been covered already but I wasnt able to find anything. I just recieved a 1jzgte vvti jxz100 motor in trade for a rebuilt 7m. I'm considering building it even though I really wanted a 2jz. But my question is what is the difference between the jxz100 vvti and the supra 1jz? Besides the jzx100 having vvti and a single ct15 turbo. Are there any other parts that would need to be swapped out versus those of a supra jza70 1jz? Is the wiring alot different? Sorry if these are noob questions but I'm new to the swap game

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
The wiring is different, intake runners, exhaust ports, basically the entire head is different.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I know the blocks are the same. But with the heads being so different because of the vvti and stuff, are there any other changes I have to make to get it to run correctly in a mk3 vs if it was a jza70 1jz? The harnesses will be sent out for conversion.

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
mkiiichip;1765953 said:
The wiring is different, intake runners, exhaust ports, basically the entire head is different.

wrong mostly.

Intake side of the head is dead nuts same. I have a non vvti lower intake with side feed 440s from a tt on my vvti 1jz.
also, wiring it into any car is the same concept. +b to +b, mrel to mrel, sta to sta, etc. It's all toyota so its simple. find what needs power and give it power.

theres a pretty decent vvti thread on club lexus. Oh, and if you bought this from that boyd dude then I have the maf and igniter you need.

vvti is awesome! aftermarket parts are a little more expensive, but getting cheaper. these engines are the future. newer, less miles, etc. I made 342 at 1bar at fuel cut, 5417 rpms with an hy35, full boost at 3300ish. with 440s, no fuel cut, zero correction I romped an srt8 charger with bolt ons and programmer tune by a couple car lengths repeatedly.

safc wiring is the same as jzz30/jzx90
emanage ultimate works great on it so far

just do it

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 AM ----------

bioskyline;1765957 said:
not that i know of. it just has extra wires for the vvti, but they run to the ECU, so the body plug shouldnt be to different. tis guy has the wiring pinout so maybe ask him http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?134137-1JZ-GTE-VVT-i-Wiring

as far as making it work in your car, the ecu uses the same exact pins to make it run as jzz30/jzx90(+b,batt,mrel,E,igsw,sta,w). the only thing you'll actually need to do inside the harness is re route the power sources to the appropriate ones in the car youre swapping too
these things are easy

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
The more reading I do on the engine, the more I keep thinking of holding out and getting a 2jz. I'm going to be doing time attack and I want the very best engine and setup for my mk3

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Vrank!!!;1765958 said:
wrong mostly.

Intake side of the head is dead nuts same.

You are right, the intake ports are the same. How does that make my statement "wrong mostly"?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
The other nice thing about the vvti is that it eliminates one of the big shortcomings of the 1JZ engine... lack of low end power and torque. If you compare a dyno chart of a stock 1JZ vvti to a non vvti you'll see what I mean. It's a BIG difference. I never compared the 1JZ vvti to a non-vvti 2JZ, but I wonder how close the low end torque figures are.

Based on my own experience, I'd jump at the chance to put a vvti motor in my Supra. My 2.3L turbo Mazda MZR-DISI 4-cylinder in my Mazdaspeed3 absolutely destroys my non-vvti 1JZ at anything below 3,500 RPM (when it had stock turbos, now it kills it up to about 4K). The variable cam timing is mostly to thank, because compression ratio is the same, displacement is less, and car weight is roughly the same, and both car's stock turbos run out of breath around 6,000 rpm.

The only problem with vvti is finding a tuner who knows how to tune it properly. It's not as easy as tuning fuel or ignition maps. It adds alot more time into the tuning process (and expense as a result). Alot of tuners try to ignore it, or try to say it's pointless. It's not, or toyota wouldn't have spent millions developing it. The new HKS V-cam system that you see on pretty much every RB-26 featured in a magazine? Same thing... variable cam timing.

They did make a 2JZ vvti too.

I've heard the vvti rods are weaker, so if your goals include never touching the bottom and and going for huge power you may want to research into that. I've heard random things about vvti rods, but nothing reliable enough to make any sort of solid reference to.

Oh, and it doesn't just help low end power, it pretty much helps power everywhere. It allows the engine to have the perfect cam timing for every situation, instead of forcing the cam profile to be compromised to be "good" for most situations as it is on a fixed cam timing system.

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
^ge internals are supposedly weaker, but gte is gte goodness.

OP, if you want autox, this is definitely the engine you want. Lighter than a 2jz, and like the other dude said, torque down low. Especially with a stock turbo. Thing will come on like gang busters til you need to make the next turn.

The main deal between the tt and the vvti is that vvti is managed by maf gayness, not a map sensor. It is also waste spark ignition like the 7mgte. Doesn't bother me a bit. I have a tt sitting here for another project I'd trade for a vvti any day.

suprastroker88

Supra Tuner
Jul 16, 2008
Bay Area, CA
I actually picked up a fully built 1990 7mgte supra today so I am selling the 1jz. Thanks for all the info.

And I'm not doing auto-x. I'm doing time attack, like circuit

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
You explain to me the difference between autox and time attack, and I'll refrain from telling you how bad you suck.

Last edited:

Vrank!!!

hahahahaha
Dec 17, 2009
TX
p1766976_1.jpg

And yes, a 4 year old did paint that bumper.

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
I think I should make a sticky on VVTi on the Kaizen section. Still a lot of wrong info on it. As far as picking the "built 7M" for time Attack, not the best choice. The VVTi 1jz would make the best setup. It's peak torque with stock engine is under 3,000 RPM, it has better response then a 2jz VVTi and the 7M GTE. As far as tuning goes, it takes us about 2 hours to tune from start to finish a full VVTi engine, some times less time, all depends on how well prepared the car is by the owner.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Jose, you'd be doing the community a favor by putting your knowledge in one spot to be referenced for next time this comes up. :)