1JZ-GTE intermittently burns oil

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I have a JZA70 Supra. So everyone so often my car burns oil, and when it does, it's burns quite a pile of it. But then, all of a sudden, it starts to burn clean again. So my car burns oil intermittently.

I thought at first it may be a failing or failed valve stem seal. I was talking to a mechanic about it (he doesn't have time to look at it just yet, he just suggested this over the phone) and he thinks it could be the PCV valve.

I took some photos of my engine bay so someone could point out the PCV on a 1JZ-GTE engine. Also, how does one tell when a PCV valve has failed? Has anyone experienced intermittent oil burning with their 1JZ?

img0169j.jpg

img0170zfe.jpg

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Look for the little pipe/hose that connects the valve cover to the intake manifold for the valve.

Ps. if you see puffs of smoke right after you let off the gas, your stock turbos are ready to be replaced/upgraded.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Yes, I found a thread on the Supraforums about the defective first generation 1JZ PCV valve. Apparently a 2JZ-GTE PCV valve will do the trick

JustinGotA1j

Jan 28, 2007
Chilliwack
hmm very good to know as I believe I have the `defective` first gen pcv valve. I`ll be looking into this once it is time to put the car back on the road.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Ok, I checked my PCV valve today. It looks almost brand new and it works fine. So I guess it must be a valve stem seal...

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
the PCV Valve from the 2JZ is made out of Metal and is allot better for the $5 also less chance of failing.

There is always the possibility that your turbo's are leaking the oil.

Does it burn allot after you have boosted a fair bit or while your on boost?

Or does it Burn allot on start up after you just had it out for a good run?

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
It has crossed my mind that it could be the turbos leaking the oil.

But you know what, it's the damnest thing. I can't get my car to burn oil anymore. It's been running clean for days. I suppose the only real time it burned oil was that one day. And I only drove the vehicle for about 15 minutes.

I've tried flooring it and boosting to the max to test the turbos, but everything appears normal again. No funny noises or smells, and most importantly, no burning oil.

I wonder what caused this peculiar problem? In any case, when I get my cams done, I'll also have the valve stem seals replaced to be safe, then later, I'll get the metal PCV valve from the 2JZ.

josh930

Jan 14, 2006
NY
Always do the easiest and cheapest possible solution first. Change the pvc first. You do have the defective pvc. I can see it in the pic. I rebuilt my engine before I installed it and I put in new valve stem seals and it still had the intermitten puffs of smoke. I never changed the pvc and once I did the problem went away. So try the pvc first

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Alright, so I asked someone else to drive my car so I can observe what is happening at the tailpipe.

Sitting and revving (hard) in neutral = clean exhaust
Driving and revving (hard) = small puffs of blue smoke perhaps in between shifts, I couldn't really tell. But the amount of oil being burned in minimal.

Perhaps it really is the turbos...if it is, is there any real chance of them blowing up? Is it ok for the to leak a bit of oil for awhile? I can't afford new ones just yet.

As before, I'm going to replace the valve stem seals (already have them on hand) and if that doesn't do it, then the PCV valve. And if that doesn't do it...well I guess we'll just have to go from there.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
Sam;1347280 said:
Alright, so I asked someone else to drive my car so I can observe what is happening at the tailpipe.

Driving and revving (hard) = small puffs of blue smoke perhaps in between shifts, I couldn't really tell. But the amount of oil being burned in minimal.

Perhaps it really is the turbos...if it is, is there any real chance of them blowing up? Is it ok for the to leak a bit of oil for awhile? I can't afford new ones just yet.

As before, I'm going to replace the valve stem seals (already have them on hand) and if that doesn't do it, then the PCV valve. And if that doesn't do it...well I guess we'll just have to go from there.

allot of people have had turbo that smoke a bit for a while but be prepared to replace them soon down the road. i still suggest a catch can for the oil so at least you are not pulling oil vapors into the impeller side of the turbo's keeping them clean with help them to last longer from what i understand.

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
Sam;1347280 said:

What are ur sparkplugs tells you?

Flywest

May 31, 2005
Quebec , Canada
I had really bad blue smoke on reacceleration after boosting hard , turned out to be a clogged vent in the catch can I use. Then I experimented the same as you, small blue puffs after reaccelerating from dead stops. Changed the rear seal on my GT35R to a Total Seal and it went away.

Sep 15, 2008
Colorado
Another easy step to make sure your turbos aren't at fault is to take off the hose from your turbos to the air charge cooler and look for oil. If everything looks dry your turbos are probably okay, but it’s always possible they are leakin on the exhaust side, but rare.
p.s. It’s possible for seals to leak a little when the car sits for a long time, without the occasional warm up. Seals dry up and get hard, but sometime they sofin back up.