1jz fuel cut

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
I have having the SAME violent FUEL CUT as 87Superdupra. The ONLY thing I have done to my JDM 1jz car is 3.5" BIC exhaust. I am still not clear on the solution to this problem. Do I just drop in JDM 2JZ 440's and I'm done??

I am new to all this ECU engine stuff (use to be a simple carb vehicle guy) so please don't used a lot of acronyms, it makes things more confusing :1zhelp:

This was the original post from an old thread......

87Superdupra;557085 said:
I was wondering if anyone else hits fuel cut in their stock 1jz. Stock everything cept 3" ex from turbo to tail. I hit fuel cut at 6500-7000 rpm in 3rd gear @ about 13-14 psi. just wondering if thats normal.
Oh yeah I burnt a 328i today, i know it's no comparison and off topic but it was funny to see this guy trying against me:evil2:

Last edited:

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
I have 440's (injectors) and AFPR (Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator), walbro (fuel pump) and 1jz map (sensor) and still hit fuel cut at 14psi then again Im running a big single...

I just bought an safcII (super air flow converter) so I can rase fuel cut and get a better tune.

Last edited:

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
Zerocool;881118 said:
I have 440's and AFPR, walbro and 1jz map and still hit fuel cut at 14psi then again Im running a big single...

I just bought an safcII so I can rase fuel cut and get a better tune.

Well not to be an ass, but it doesn't help comparing a big single to my twins. I am looking for a solution to my pretty much stock engine.

BlackMKIII

Hardcore Lurker
Jan 6, 2007
Norman, Oklahoma
www.facebook.com
My way: 440cc injectors, Driftmotion Aeromotive AFPR (Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator) kit, APEXi AFC Neo, and Wideband oxygen sensor and gauge. Crank up 45 PSI of base fuel pressure, then lean it out with the wideband and AFC. Best way around FC IMO.

Last edited:

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
once again people with all the acronyms.......

FCD...AFPR..safcII... please be bore specific :confused:

I would like this to be a helpful thread for everyone including newbies like be, and not like the other 6 useless threads i found about fuel cut...

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Apr 6, 2005
VVTi'n, CA
www.kaizenmotorsport.com
BlackMKIII;881166 said:
FCD = Chance of running lean. Edited my first post for clarity.

I ran an FCD for many years with no problems at all. you have to know the limits of your engine and fuel system. Now If you crank up the boost to 25 psi on pump gas you are asking for it.

FCD's are not bad. If you have upgraded IC, intake, exhaust and catback with a downpipe you will experince fuel cut with a 1jz. FCD's were made for these kinds of mods.

Just like anything, If you use it right, it will yield good results.

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
TurboToy-R;881091 said:
Do I just drop in JDM 2JZ 440's and I'm done??

This will do nothing other than make your car run really rich.

Fuel cut is calculated based on the signal the MAP sensor is sending the ECU. There are several ways around this:

You could put a MAP sensor with a higher scale in place (The stock sensor is a 2.3bar unit, you could put a 3bar unit, and effectively raise fuel pressure 25% or so). This is a bad way to do it though, because you will be leaning your motor out everywhere. If you're running say 13psi, the motor's only adding enough fuel for 10. You can of course comensate for that yet again by adding injectors that are ~25% larger to bring fueling back in place. This is not really a good way to do it though, as it's going to shift all of your ignition advance tables out of place, which can be VERY bad to your motor

This is the same technique that 7Ms use with the Lexus AFM and 550cc injector route. It works well for AFM based motors, where air and fuel are more linearly related, but not so well for MAP based motors where pressure and fuel are not necessarily linearly related.

You could put a fuel cut defender in place. What this does is clamps the MAP signal to a voltage just below fuel cut. So, if fuel cut is 14.5psi, anything above 14.5psi, the motor still think's it has 14.5psi, and still injects the same amount of fuel, and same ignition advance. This isn't as bad as it seems, as 1JZ have a lot of extra fuel to spare. If you're just running a few extra psi, say 17-18psi (which is more or less the upper useful limit of stock twins) then it'll work not too bad.

The third option, which is probably the best, is to install a piggyback computer, like an APEXi NEO, or SAFCII. They essentially run similar to a fuel cut defender, but on top of that, they can also modify the injector signals, to they can add the additional fuel up top, or take away fuel down below.

Not only can you gain more power with a piggyback by simply raising boost, you can gain a lot of power throughout teh powerband by fine-tuning the existing fuel maps to something a little more agressive.

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
Thanks soapra and annoyingrob for those great posts :D

I think that option #3 then is for myself. I want to make my car reliable, and the other ways of "tricking" the ECU sounds like it could be trouble in a hurry if i push my car hard. So now I just need to save my pennies for a piggy back....

mjtoll23

almost a TT-R
Apr 14, 2007
VA
I'm confused, how do you get around fuel cut with an safc? So they can modify map signals in addition to fuel?

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
BlackMKIII;881132 said:
My way: 440cc injectors, Driftmotion Aeromotive AFPR (Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator) kit, APEXi AFC Neo, and Wideband oxygen sensor and gauge. Crank up 45 PSI of base fuel pressure, then lean it out with the wideband and AFC. Best way around FC IMO.

so you're saying with this setup were you able to eliminate fc or it just delays it ??

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
The FCD from the MR2 turbo is a great alternative as it allows you to tune when the cut will happen. A lot of MKIV guys use it, and it works well.

ryojikaji

Jan 11, 2007
Seattle, WA
www.myspace.com
foreverpsycotic;885523 said:
The FCD from the MR2 turbo is a great alternative as it allows you to tune when the cut will happen. A lot of MKIV guys use it, and it works well.

That is the one I'm using. Here is what I'm running:

JZZ30 Soarer ECU
HKS Fuel Cut Defenser
Walbro fuel pump

Greddy 3" downpipe
URAS 3" exhaust
24x9x2.75" front mount

Everything else is stock and the car pulls hard all the way to redline and no fuel cut. I'm going to the dyno on Saturday to get my air/fuel and hp numbers. I'll post up both graphs.

-Matt-Panic!