1jz Diverter/Blow off valve question

blaze1301

Jul 5, 2005
Orlando, FL
I searched and if I get burned its my fault :-( . I just got my supra back from a shop who put a 1jz in it, I'm pretty sure it was their first 1jz I'm pretty sure it was their first 1jz swap but they weren't novices with swaps or with the 2jz. My diverter valve is bolted to the manifold but nothing else is connected to it, its just open to air. On what seemed to me to be the charged side of intake there is a partial hose comming out its not even long enough to turn towards valve. My question is can I use the partial hose (not sure why I haven't felt air movement around it) to hook up say a turboXS blow off valve? Or am I stuck welding something to my pipes?

Side note: Am I crazy or correct in thinking taking the tube off the stock diverter just causes compressor blow-by into the valve making the sound?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Leave the stock one bolted with the hose there or capped off on the turbo side. Dont hook up vac lines and then hook up the other bov with a vac source from the manifold.

And ya your post is hard to read. Pics would help better.

blaze1301

Jul 5, 2005
Orlando, FL
Basicaly my long winded intro asked if the hose going into diverter valve could be used to hook up a blow off valve and the link from 1jz soarer shows the hks installed on that hose. My second question is why am I not feeling any air movement at idle?(no vac)

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Yes that is the line you would use to signal whatever BOV you use.

You need to follow that line around the back of the head (it goes all the way around the head to the side of the intake mani), it must be disconnected somewhere. You should have vacuum at idle.

Also, you BOV does not have to end up in that area, you can move it pretty much anywhere in the charge pipes (in my mind it seems best to have the signal line as short as possible, but thats debatable). Then you just have to block off the ports for the old valve, so your not leaking boost or sucking unfiltered air.

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
If you're talking about the big hose that should be connected to the BOV in those pics (but isn't) then it appears that the shop left you with a HUGE boost leak. That's the pressure side of the BOV. The 1JZ BOV is backwards from most normal valves in that the hose side is the inlet and the flange side is the outlet. On my motor the PO took the hose off the BOV and stuck a big bolt in it and capped it off to "vent" the BOV. So basically he completely eliminated the BOV in doing that. If you're looking to add an aftermarket BOV in the intercooler piping then just get a 90 degree heater hose and connect the stock BOV back up and disconnect the vacuum hoses from it and it will effectively be blocked off. You could also cap off the hose that's there now, but connecting it back up looks cleaner.

If you're asking what small hoses coming from the stock BOV should be connected to the top of an aftermarket BOV, you should be using the one that connects to the small pipe that wraps around the back of the valve cover (the other side of that pipe connects to a hose that goes to the intake manifold. All the other hoses and check valves on the stock 1JZ BOV are part of a goofy arrangement that Toyota decided would smooth out on/off throttle transitions. You don't need all that stuff.