1JZ Cam Options and discussion/opinions needed and wanted

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
So i plan on upgrading my cams in my recent 1j build i already got a valve job done while getting my engine rebuilt to factory specs (or at least had them try and stay close)

So i've been doing some reading and read that BC 264's are not a direct drop in and require some machine work. Can anyone confirm or deny and maybe tell me what needs to be done. Driftmotion says they are a straight drop in affair.

Also i thought about picking up some 2jzgte cams just to help with the 1jz's problem off falling on it's face after 6,000rpm's or so.. Anyone think it's worth the time as a temp thing or should i just go ahead and upgrade to BC 264 or 272 with bc springs and retainer kit.

Also i'm going to be on a Single Turbo setup T67 .75ar T3 on a T4 manifold and i really want to eliminate as much lag as possible.

Also does anyone No what RPM a good shape stock 1jz head would start having valve lift at?

any insight,comment opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Albert

Custom CT26, CT12a, CT20 upgrades
May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Turbo Habanero;1877709 said:
So i plan on upgrading my cams in my recent 1j build i already got a valve job done while getting my engine rebuilt to factory specs (or at least had them try and stay close)

So i've been doing some reading and read that BC 264's are not a direct drop in and require some machine work. Can anyone confirm or deny and maybe tell me what needs to be done. Driftmotion says they are a straight drop in affair.

Also i thought about picking up some 2jzgte cams just to help with the 1jz's problem off falling on it's face after 6,000rpm's or so.. Anyone think it's worth the time as a temp thing or should i just go ahead and upgrade to BC 264 or 272 with bc springs and retainer kit.

Also i'm going to be on a Single Turbo setup T67 .75ar T3 on a T4 manifold and i really want to eliminate as much lag as possible.

Also does anyone No what RPM a good shape stock 1jz head would start having valve lift at?

any insight,comment opinions are welcome and appreciated.

BC 264 for 1jz are direct drop in. So are 272s but require springs and retainers, those drop right in. You have to check shims on either one you do.

People are reving to 8k stock Setups. I plan on reving out to 9k. 264s or 272s if you get springs and retainers you can go to 9k and you won't have a problem.

I wouldn't get 2jzgte cams IMO. They are like $200 then to get it machined will cost you like $100. You'll gain like 30hp.

Go 264s you won't regret it. Springs and retainers with the 264s for higher reving.

Notsafe1jz

Aug 16, 2012
Ohio
I've got a set of 2JZ cams in my car along with a big single. Now I don't have any Dyno information to back this up yet, however the car feels like it just makes more and more power the closer I get to the limiter. My car most likely makes 350 - 400 wheel with the current state of tune(T66 at 17-18psi, 440s, SAFC, all bolt ons). From what I remember these cams will support upto 550 - 600 wheel with out any sign of outrunning the cam/valvetrain. I didn't install this cam as the PO had already done the swap/cam install, so I can't compare it to a stock 1JZ cam.

I will say this, if you have it apart it's almost better to do it right the first time BUT I'm not a huge fan of BC cams. They are a regrind from what I remember and they just seem really mild for what they are supposed to be. I had a set in a 4G63 car years ago and after I switched to a HKS set, instant 20 wheel(on a medium frame turbo). Both had similar specs(supposed to be a 272 cam) but it seemed like the overlap was much more aggressive on the HKS cam; car developed that "cammed" idle and lagged a bit more but made up for it in boost recovery/top end power.

I can't comment on the machining on the BC cams having not really read up on it. That being said, you could most likely get into a set of 2JZ cams installed for 200 - 300 bucks. I guess it all depends on your goals.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
I found 2jzgte cams for $100 shipped and there's a guy who will machine them for forum members for $140 shipped back to you.

But Albert i see your point Do you need to have the head taken off to do springs and retainers?

Notsafe1jz;1877742 said:
My car most likely makes 350 - 400 wheel with the current state of tune(T66 at 17-18psi

18psi on a T66 only making 350whp seems low to me sir i would say you where above 400 but thats just a total guess i'm new to 1j's

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
BC cams are not regrinds.

They are a very high quality. I run the 272s. Love them. Clint is running the 264s.

2jzgte cams if you're running twins or a small frame turbo.

264s on that 67mm I built you will be amazing. Iirc Jason made 460rwhp at like 20psi(67mm) on stock cams (7mgte) then 520rwhp at 17psi on 264s

Albert

May 13, 2009
Tempe, AZ
Turbo Habanero;1877747 said:
I found 2jzgte cams for $100 shipped and there's a guy who will machine them for forum members for $140 shipped back to you.

But Albert i see your point Do you need to have the head taken off to do springs and retainers?

18psi on a T66 only making 350whp seems low to me sir i would say you where above 400 but thats just a total guess i'm new to 1j's

No you can do springs and retianers in car. Easier to do if heads off. But it's def possible. I installed my springs and retainers in car:

http://youtu.be/KmJHON4rNLk

Notsafe1jz

Aug 16, 2012
Ohio
Albert;1877748 said:

They are a very high quality. I run the 272s. Love them. Clint is running the 264s.

264s on that 67mm I built you will be amazing. Iirc Jason made 460rwhp at like 20psi(67mm) on stock cams (7mgte) then 520rwhp at 17psi on 264s

Interesting. The last time I ran those cams was back in 2004 and it was on a 4G63; I was told they were regrinds which might have changed over the years. This particular 4G63 made 394 @ 26 psi(I think) with 272 BCs on a V trim on pump gas, which at the time was pretty huge. I've heard your car idling and it is pretty healthy sounding with those cams. I might have to look into those things as my goals are similar to yours.

Turbo Habanero;1877747 said:

I like to quote low, I'm kind of a WHP nazi and enjoy sandbagging. That way whenever it does hit the dyno, I've got more to be excited about and I don't look like an under achiever. 440cc injectors should support upto 400 wheel at the most(I know others have made more on these injectors, however I enjoy my valves, pistons, and gaskets where they are currently) and I've got those about maxed out at 17/18 psi with some headroom.

Rocky

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Albert;1877748 said:

I'm i wrong to think the 7M would make more power then a 1JZ

Stock Long block for Stock Long Block or will the 1J do better with the same turbo @ both at lets say 18psi because the head flows better stock ?

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Notsafe1jz;1877758 said:
I like to quote low, I'm kind of a WHP nazi and enjoy sandbagging. That way whenever it does hit the dyno, I've got more to be excited about and I don't look like an under achiever. 440cc injectors should support upto 400 wheel at the most(I know others have made more on these injectors, however I enjoy my valves, pistons, and gaskets where they are currently) and I've got those about maxed out at 17/18 psi with some headroom.

Rocky

Oh i got ya i had a friend just put down 380 on twins and 370cc injectors at 18psi i have my own doubts about the numbers even though i was there lol.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Don't forget there are Jdm and usdm 2j cams. The us ones are the ones to have if you go that route. Personally Id just get 272 and springs and retainers.

Notsafe1jz

Aug 16, 2012
Ohio
Turbo Habanero;1877765 said:
Oh i got ya i had a friend just put down 380 on twins and 370cc injectors at 18psi i have my own doubts about the numbers even though i was there lol.

What were his air fuels? What kind of dyno? 380 wheel and 370cc should be real scary(unless they're actually 440s). Duty cycle would be over 100% and/or A/Fs in the 14/15s at least. I had no idea stock 1JZ twins would even make that much power, however I haven't researched those much either. Sounds like the dyno might have the return customer switch engaged.

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
Notsafe1jz;1877773 said:
What were his air fuels? What kind of dyno? 380 wheel and 370cc should be real scary(unless they're actually 440s). Duty cycle would be over 100% and/or A/Fs in the 14/15s at least. I had no idea stock 1JZ twins would even make that much power, however I haven't researched those much either. Sounds like the dyno might have the return customer switch engaged.

I tuned the car with a AEM uego and SAFC2 11.4-11.6 to redline the injectors are yellow and appear to be 370cc

Here ya go you can check at all the info in this thread below video/pics inside

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?165670-2-1JZ-s-on-the-dyno-1-single-1-twins

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
hvyman;1877770 said:
Don't forget there are Jdm and usdm 2j cams. The us ones are the ones to have if you go that route. Personally Id just get 272 and springs and retainers.

Yups sorry i forgot to mention that part.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Notsafe1jz;1877773 said:
I had no idea stock 1JZ twins would even make that much power, however I haven't researched those much either. Sounds like the dyno might have the return customer switch engaged.
Mine made 320whp on only 12psi, and when you set it to about 17, it is a whole different beast. A little bit of headwork goes a long way on these engines... The part I put in bold above? That's pretty funny Rocky. :D

Jordan, I also have the BC264's, been running them daily for just shy of 3 years now. A re-shim will be required with any cam option. On mine, I'm also on stock valves/springs/retainers. You can ask Albert whether or not they fall on their face after 6k. ;)

Anyway, dyno for proof:

p1877926_1.jpg

I can't wait to see how this thing does with a bigger turbo. Power is smooth, but when it hits about 2800 or so, she starts coming on HARD. I can only imagine the 272's would make the transition into boost a bit more abrupt, but should make more top end power if you're willing to give up some low end torque. I wasn't.

EDIT: Now just a minute here... I just noticed that the guy who ran my car on the dyno that day at SILV2010, only ran it to 130mph. In 4th. With 3.73 gearing. Son of a bitch... Now I'm not sure how much power my car was making, or what the fall-off point would be, because that was only at approximately 6300 rpm. This was according to the Norbie calculator by the way.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
If this was Facebook, I'd like Albert's post.

By the way....I have HKS 264 on my 1JZ and trust me, it pulls fine all the way to redline with no falling off. The HKS 264 are a little more aggressive than the BC ones but they come at a pretty penny.

Ask me how I know...

Get BC. You can't go wrong.

Close thread now.

:D