1JZ Build..HKS...Greddy..ACT..Chrome..You Might Like It.Dont Hate :)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I got another 1JZ today from another member and was clearing space to store this thing. It is going to go in my 91 White Targa that I bought off a member on here two years ago and it has been sitting. This 1JZ is going to be a stop light car, nothing crazy like this build, more of a ARP goodies, a smaller turbo and maybe cams.

More work to be done on my blue 1JZ if I get the parts in this week.

Here are pictures of the motor.
a6898b2c-6167-5639.jpg
a6898b2c-617b-5faf.jpg
a6898b2c-618f-c350.jpg

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
IBoughtASupra;1675093 said:
Hmm, sounds good. It doesn't get that hot in NY so it looks like I will be doing that. I will be welding the port shut as well since I am not a fan of the hose with a bolt stuck in it held in with a hose clamp thing.

Not really familiar with the JZ but if you are talking about blocking off the coolant bypass (not sure if you are or not) it's probably not the best idea as you aren't going to have good circulation of the coolant with the t stat closed so your engine will not warm up evenly (engine will be hot in some places cool in others).

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I am looking into this but the return side goes to the water neck. The feed line comes from the water pump and goes through the twins.

The 7M, the return line is behind the water pump, so that is why it can cause the pump to cavatate.

Problem with this is that I have never seen anyone loop it. Circulation in the JZ engines is also done by a water tube from the water pump. Aaron said he has done it on many JZ swaps and has not had a problems and he did make a hose for the 7M to bypass the coolant flow on single engines.

I am going to try and look up some 2JZ coolant flow diagrams and see what I find.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Once again, HKS has let me down. They said that I would have the cam by the end of this week and tomorrow is Thursday. Only way I will get the cams is if they get it tomorrow or Friday from customs and ship it to me express mail. I did pay for their express shipping service which was supposed to be 2-3 weeks. It is now going on to 4 weeks. I did get my package from SP which is nice.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I finally got my HKS Exhaust cam in and did the install on the motor. We installed the cams, full timing service, valve covers and a few other parts you can spot in the pictures.

The center hose for the 1JZ valve covers is what I am missing and I will get it tomorrow and throw on the coil packs as well. The spark plugs are in and the cam sensors along with a new crank sensor are also installed. I got ten bolts for the valve covers, same 7M problem with the Phillips screws.

I have a few questions, I read the sheet for the HKS cams and it says - on one side and plus on one side for the timing gears. What are you guys doing?

The rubber O-ring that came with the waterpump, that I got from Toyota, seemed to big but you had to set it in the block and it would pop out, I used some yellow glue on the back to hold it in place, that should not be a problem because after it stayed well. Thoughts?

Here are some pictures....
a6898989-e187-9dde.jpg
a6898989-e221-3920.jpg
a6898989-e235-1079.jpg
a6898989-e268-08fe.jpg
a6898989-e27e-76d4.jpg
a6898989-e291-8532.jpg
a6898989-e2a3-8b59.jpg
a6898989-e2c1-95d3.jpg
a6898989-e2d3-ed8f.jpg
a6898989-e2e6-0ca1.jpg
a6898989-e2fe-00f4.jpg
a6898989-e311-228e.jpg
a6898989-e330-b710.jpg
a6898989-e346-159d.jpg
a6898989-e35b-0491.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I put on a few things today. I didn't get to put the intake and turbo setup on this week but I finished putting on the valve cover PVC center hose new coil packs and engine mounts. I will install my turbo and intake next weekend.

I also have to call Aaron and ask about the oil filter housing O-Ring since it did not come in the Toyota set I bought from him and order some new bolts through the Toyota deal we use. I would have installed the oil filter housing but I did not have the O-Ring.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
7thousandpiecesMGTE;1683036 said:
Very nice! Envious of how sexy it looks.... keep up the good work!

Thanks. The up close polished shot is after I was done for the day and I put some Mothers polishing compound on it.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The purple goes nicely with the valve covers and a center piece that I am going to have powder coated black and supra written in the middle. Should look nice.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I am waiting on my Greddy Boost gauge. It lights up green and matches the other Greddy gauges I have but I want to change the bulb in it with a different color. I was looking at white LED's to use in the gauge and the cluster to give my interior an updated look. I was going to get a new carpet and I saw that mine is in super great shape, not black and dirty. I will need some nice blue or black mats though but that is after I install my Sparco seats.

This weekend, I am hope to get the motor done and finish the engine bay.

Things left to do:

-Fill, Sand, Prime and Paint Engine Bay
-Bolt On Turbo Setup With Goodies
-Bolt On Intake Manifold and sensors
-Bolt On Throttle Body and Linkage
-Go Through Harness, Clean and Put New Loom After Removing The Old One
-Bolt On Sensors To Engine For Greddy Gauges
-Full Front End Overhaul, Brake Pads, Slotted Rotors, Inner And Out Tie Rods, Upper and Lower Control Arm Bushing, Ball Joints and Sway Bar Bushings And Paint Crossmemeber and Control Arms
-Drop In Engine
-Install Intercooler Piping With Couplers
-Fill In Necessary Fluids
-Start With Just The Down Pipe On....

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Here are some teaser shots of the intake manifold, throttle body and my Sparco seats which have been sitting for months. I am going to clean them this weekend.

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I sent them out to get it polished and then they came back, I took my dremel tool with a buffing pad on it and used "Mothers Mag And Aluminum Polish" to get a really nice shine.

I am going to wax all of them to leave a thin film of oil and every other oil change I am going to use the Mother on it to keep the shine. I am going to do my best to avoid any condensation from getting on those valve covers and cause oxidation. The wax will help to protect it.

Waxforums.com recommends Mother Polish to protect Aluminum. :)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Update:

I was on Zilvia.net, a 240SX forums and saw a guy selling a used V1 boost gauge. I have the Engine temp and oil pressure version of those gauges already so I bought it. I bought the gauge and tested it today on the running 2JZ I have and it reads two bar at idle. It does not read vacuum at all and the illumination does not work either. All wires are correct and you have to rev the engine for it to start reading vacuum. I contacted the seller and expect to get a refund so I can ship the gauge back, if not, I will open a dispute.

So now I have decided to buy Autometer Elite Gauges in Boost, Oil Pressure and Engine Temperature. They all have an output to run to a standalone which means you can run one sensor for the gauge and standalone. They can also send a ground to kick on relays or other circuits as well. I have a boost solenoid that I am going to use and I can set it to open buy having the boost gauge send a ground to open the solenoid at my choosen PSI instead of fiddiling with a hobbs switch. I have an AEM wideband already.

Here is a link to the gauges...
http://www.jegs.com/p/Auto-Meter/Auto-Meter-Elite-Series-Gauges/1170558/10002/-1

I will also be updating the thread this weekend with the parts that I am going to be putting on the engine. I am going to also install a new front end parts. Tie rods, ball joints, swap bar bushings, rack and pinion bellows and stabilizer links will all be replace.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
The seller gave me my money back and said to keep the gauge. Ehh, maybe I can fix it. There is a lot to do on the Supras this weekend so I will have a post tomorrow.