1JZ Build..HKS...Greddy..ACT..Chrome..You Might Like It.Dont Hate :)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
stillboostin87t;1660784 said:
What are you going to be using to undercoat the underbody??

It is rubberized undercoating from Permatex but the body needs to be washed clean before you do anything or I might get something I saw at the body shop supply, it is like seam sealer.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I finally pressed in those gears and I am almost done with this gearbox. The only thing left to do is put in the locking balls and pins in place and Alldata and the TSRM is not to precise on where they go exactly but after looking at it for a few minutes and looking at Alldata, I saw how they were supposed to be dropped in.

I will be going to Fairfield tomorrow with my friend to check out an engine for his car, so when I get back, then I am going to finish assembling the gearbox. I bought the orange Toyota FIPG to use as well.

The engine bay is still in the same condition as the other pictures show it to be. Snow is piled up outside, so I can't push the Supra in the shop but it is covered down to though. The head is finished at the machine shop so I just have to pick it up.

After doing the gearbox Saturday, I will take off the engine harness off the intake manifold and get that boxed up and sent out to get polished. With the gearbox hopefully finished on Saturday, I will box the parts to get polished on Sunday and strip and loom the engine harness.

I don't have to touch the engine harness but it has enough miles on it to show some wear. It was done by Dr.Tweak, so we all know how good the workmanship is, but some of the loom is getting brittle because of the heating and cooling process over the years, so I will freshen it up and fix any plug I see that need to fix. I should be getting a Stinger and making my own harness after the break in period.

After the gearbox, packing parts and looming, then I will start the prep the bay for the engine this week. That will only take a few hours to get it filled sanded and painted. The pictures make it look bad but it is not. The holes are filled well enough that when you grind them, it will be flat and primer would be enough to fill any imperfections.

When I get the bay prepped, then I will get the head and start assembling this engine again.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Everything has been assembled. I had a problem with the locking pins. There were two oval shaped ones and I lost one, well not me, the supposedly "rebuilder" that was supposed to be doing this. All the pictures you guy have seen is me and my friend assembling everything. I had a spare R154 that came with this car. Here is a quick story.

The previous owner, Patrick said the car popped put of gear, first gear. I took out the case today to get the oval pin that I could not find and I saw why the previous owner said that. The number one hub's shift fork was loose. The bolt walked out, maybe someone forgot to tighten it? The gearbox was rebuilt too, it has new bearings and seals along with shiny new snychros.

So I now have the pins and I start assembling back the rebuilt gearbox. I took out the shift fork and shafts over ten different times, I know how everything goes now. Also, the forks were hard to move with my finger, so it looked like a problem. I took out the shift forks and shafts again, everything was right. It was just hard because everything is new and has not worn into each other, after installing the shifter, it moved fine.

I used Toyota FIPG for the transaxle case and use enough. I hate leaks. It let it dry and took off the extra and then I painted everything.

I will be getting the head from the machine shop tomorrow, shipping out parts to get polished and then start on the engine bay and get it painted

I am waiting on my gauges, crank sensor and Tial from GrimJack. All New. :)

Pictures:
a6898903-af27-7645.jpg
a6898903-af40-31a9.jpg
a6898903-af53-b803.jpg
a6898903-af5e-eae6.jpg
a6898903-af72-7c4c.jpg
a6898903-af89-536a.jpg
a6898903-af97-6ee1.jpg
a6898903-afa9-626e.jpg

a6898903-afc5-4c05.jpg
a6898903-afe8-c673.jpg
a6898903-b006-fcb1.jpg
a6898903-b017-c54a.jpg
a6898903-b037-716e.jpg
a6898903-b04c-0828.jpg

Before

a6898903-b065-8a3c.jpg

After
a6898903-b09c-d03d.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I started to removed the engine harness from the intake manifold and separate the stuff for the polishing. I sent it out today and hoping to have it back sometime next week.

Here is how the intake manifold and valve covers look...

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Here are some nice pictures while I wait for a few more parts to come in. Maybe more pictures tomorrow but progress will be a little slow since the semester started....

Hopefully Toyota gets in my new Water pump bolts tomorrow.

a6898b6a-1ac1-a7ad.jpg
a6898b6a-1acd-6eb1.jpg

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
IJ.;1667569 said:
Hope ya wash your hands before fitting the bling ;)

I know. I went to Home Depot, bought the blue masking tape, the painting one and we have plastic at the shop that I am going to use to wrap and tape up the valve covers and intake manifold as it gets mounted on the engine with keeping the tape at a minimum.

Before I do that, I will use some Mothers protector on it and plan on doing that about every three or four oil changes.

Any advice IJ? Thanks man.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
IJ.;1667588 said:
LOL nah no advice sorry I've NEVER had the Shiny parts (I'm too lazy)

So Ian, you have a million acre lot and your lazy? I bet you have John Deer tractor and plan on installing a Motec to somehow make it remote controlled so you can sit and move your fingers to mow your lawn.

More pictures to come later this week, probably tomorrow. Semester start tomorrow as well, so I am not sure.

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
oldsking;1667872 said:
Is that chrome or like SUPER polish haha Looks good, I might need some details on where it was done.

It is not chrome but polished. All my friends thought it was chromed and don't want to believe it was polished.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I am still waiting on parts to come in from SPRacing. Hopefully the rain we are supposed to get tomorrow will wash away a good amount of the snow so I can get to push my Supra in the shop and finish the engine bay. It is covered outside though so there is no snow on the car, just on the car cover which I can just lift off. :)

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Just finished rebuilding my second R154. Hopefully my remainder of parts come in this week so I can finish off the engine. We are suppose to have temperatures of 50's and I have off on Monday for Presidents day. If I get my parts, I could have this baby in the car. No promises though. :(

a689884d-ad24-9a4e.jpg