1jz as daily driver?

SupraRacer

Banned
Apr 10, 2005
St. Louis
Daily drove my supra for 2years before i bought my 4runner, never had one problem besides the harmonic balancer pulley separating on me, but thats common on the jz motors.

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
annoyingrob;963751 said:
there's nothing preventative you really need to do to a 1JZ. It's a pretty reliable motor stock. Aside from regular fluid changes as in any other vehicle, it just keeps on motoring.

Agreed. If you already replaced the seals f/r, timing/drive belts, t-stat, plugs, vc gaskets, hoses, rad caps, installed new clutch, etc, when you did the swap then you took care of most of the pm parts the can go bad. In addition to regular oil changes, i check the oil and coolant level daily before driving making sure I am not running low or anything.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
i used to DD my 1J, but couldn't resist opening it up a lot so my mpg's really suffered...so I keep the supra for the weekends mostly and DD my 95 saturn sl2 with 194k to save on gas money.

if you can keep your foot off the floor, then go for it, its a great motor to cruise around on and the power is there when you want/need it!

as far as maintenance, like others have said its just like any other car. you can still get replacement parts for it by either using 2jz parts, or calling Champion Toyota for the ones that aren't the same.

have you replaced your pcv valve with a 2jzgte one? that can save you some trouble if you still have the plastic one in.

my .02

EDIT: I also wanted to keep the miles low-ish on the supra. if I didn't care about gas money or mileage, I would definitely still be DD'ing it BTW.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
ive dd my 1jz since last sunday, so 2 weeks now (thanks to aaron for getting all of my parts). gas mileage is way better then the 7m na and that having fun feeling the amazing power.

i will have to look into the 2jzgte pcv valve 88mkIIIproject

steven

1jz is a great daily driver after you get the quirks out of them. Mine has had the starter and alternator die within 1 month of the swap, oh yeah and the thermostat. Once you get rid of all of the damn shit that has been sitting for 10 years and doesn't like working anymore, you should be great! :)

Gas millage is only better on the freeway vs the 7mge. Around town is about the same, about 15-16mpg for me. but i do get about 21 on the freeway, which rocks! :) But hell 300 at the wheels isn't bad for 15.

Oh yeah, and i use my bike as a daily driver usually. It gets 33. Much better :)

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
my bro dd's his car (well winter snow doesn't count, but he drives it when the snow is gone). its gonna change this year when he does paint + body though...

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
As far as parts you could find parts all day long for it the only diffrence between the 2jz and 1jz is the stroke the height of the block & alot of other parts cross over you dont have to order your timming belt from japan you know.

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
Thanks for the replies. Sound like a good plan. Just for the record, I am saving up now, till i can find the right car, then i want to drop the 1jz in over the summer. I asked the DD question because im not spending all that time and work and then not driving it. Ill get it running and all the bugs ironed out then sell my camaro right away to make some of my money back. Im looking for a white, black, or silver targa car with gray cloth interior to drop the motor in. Pref an r154 89+ to make it a little easier. So things like the starter, thermostat, alternator, etc arr crossover from the 2jzgte? or the GE. like what car would i say if i went into napa...

Isphius

Supra-less :(
May 30, 2006
long branch
str8_6;965475 said:
go single. foot off throttle. gas mileage goes up the roof.

I have heard this several times. Plus i like when the boost kicks in at higher rpms, so double positive for me. My friends talon it all came on at about 3500 and i loved it like that. Its fun having power everywhere, but having to actually "drive" the car and know it well are way more fun than just being able to mash it and go ;)

masterchief819

Apr 4, 2006
us
Been driving mine dd since oct 06. Only thing that went wrong was had to replace the ecu (I've heard that it's normal for ecu's to randomly bust a cap). Get ~22-23mpg city driving.

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
masterchief819;966839 said:
Been driving mine dd since oct 06. Only thing that went wrong was had to replace the ecu (I've heard that it's normal for ecu's to randomly bust a cap). Get ~22-23mpg city driving.

Why did you replace the ECU when you could've replaced the caps. I got a pack of caps for 5 bucks online and just fixed the ecu... MUCH CHEAPER!!