1JZ Apexi SAFC II installation - RPM signal help

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I recently purchased an Apexi SAFC II from this website and found all the necessary instructions I needed from the Apexi USA website.

Now, looking at the 1JZ-GTE ECU pinout diagram in the installation manual, it lists two RPM signals. The Apexi SAFC II only has one RPM signal wire (the green wire).

What should I do? There is RPM 1 and RPM 2 on the ECU diagram. It doesn't say anywhere in the manual what to do in this situation.

1jzecu_diagram.gif

You can see both RPM signals as X-17 and X-23.

What did you guys do when you installed your SAFC IIs in your 1JZs?

EDIT: Oh and I just noticed that there is two knocking signals also. In the instructions it simply says to use one or the either depending on which has the higher output value. Should I used knock sensor 1 or 2?

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I just learned that RPM 1 (EGF) is the igniter failure signal. If there is a failure of a coil firing, a signal gets sent to the ecu and if enough signals get sent, the ecu shuts the engine off.

I was told to use RPM 2 (EGT1), which is ignition timing for the #1 coil. Just thought I'd share that piece of information with everyone here.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
This is what I'm going to do when I install the SAFC II.

I'll post it here for future reference for other noobs like myself.
2yxludl.jpg

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
I need to correct myself,

I tried to use IGT1 (RPM2) when I installed the SAFC II, but it only showed 1/6 of the actual RPM my engine was running at! So when I was running the knock correction I noticed that my engine, according to the SAFC II, was idling at 100rpm. Even if I revved my engine to a higher RPM, it would keep displaying 1/6 of the actual RPM.

I then decided to use IGF (RPM1) and that corrected the problem.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
OneJSupra;1246604 said:
Like I said ... :evil2:

Yeah, just like you said. Sorry dude, I was led astray! haha, thanks for the help though, appreciate it.

Now I just need a dyno.

Sam

Jan 31, 2008
Saskatchewan
Turbo 7M;1246938 said:
if you go to the Apexi-usa site and look at the wiring for the AFC neo, they show you exactly which pins to use, which would be x-17 for the rpm signal.

http://www.apexi-usa.com/pdfWiring/19.pdf

Wow! That would have totally cleared everything up. Why would Apexi not bother to filter out the signals not needed in the instructions for the SAFC II? Do they like confusing people?

Beals

JZA70 TT-R
Feb 3, 2009
Alberta, Canada
haha, this works perfect for me, I'm installing a boost controller on the blitz access ecu you sold me and it has alot of features that use the same wires.