1jz/2jz Exhaust stud fit a 7m ?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya. Same thread pitch means they will go in fine.

Only problem with the 7m is that they like to strip. Might be wise to get some helicoils and make some new threads for them if the manifold is already off.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I'd agree with hvyman, if the manifold is coming off already, do the stud upgrade. Driftmotion sells a kit for doing exactly that:

http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-716exhauststudkit.php

If the head is still in the car it IS POSSIBLE TO DO IT. You will have to cut down the drill bit and have a 90* 3/8" chuck drill to get in beside the fender towards the rear, but you can do it. Mine was done, head in the car about 2 months ago. If you don't feel confident doing it yourself and you have a reputable shop around, expect it pay out for 6 - 8 hours depending on how quick they work and how cooperative the surrounding hardware decides to be.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Can of PB Blaster goes a looooooong way when it comes to heat-soaked, sometimes baked in/on hardware. Get a couple cans, let it soak into EVERY piece of hardware you plan on removing... repeat the next day, and if you're patient enough, yet again a third day. Has saved me many a broken bolt and headache in the past.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
Yea, The exhaust manifold is already off and the very last thread is semi stripped by the firewall.
I just dont see how I could get in there and get it straight to drill those out and heli coil those even with doing what radiod did, It sounds like a formula for alot of cussing & regret. I was going to install new studs, bathe them in red thread lock and them torque them down.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Will the thread lock stand up to the heat? I thought about that solution too, but ended up going with the stud upgrade.

Like I said, it is possible, but you will definitely need that 90* angle drill and you need to cut the drill bit down to pretty much the length of the heli coil. I didn't have the equipment myself, so I paid someone else to do it for me, but I watched them do it, it can be done.

slow_yota

Gotta Pay To Play
yea the thread lock will hold, It has a heat rating of 400 degrees and 500 degrees to get it to break down if you need to remove it.
I wouldt think a N/A would get that hot...Im in Indiana now and about to leave for Florida for the winter in about 3 weeks..I really don't want to monkey with this now, I think the N/A may sit for another winter in Indiana. =/