1j stock twin removal

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Sedro Woolley, Washington, United States
I am removing the stock twins from 1j while it is still in car. I have one bolt left. It is the rear bolt on the underside of the rear turbo. I removed everything including waste gate. It is a real bitch to get to.

Any Ideas?
Tips?
Tricks?

I am sure it would have been easier to remove 1j, Go single, Ect. but I am swapping rebuilt ones , because I cant afford to go single.

Thanks.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
gats;1725927 said:
This link offers some advice, but is talking about removing the twins from a RHD 1JZ Soarer...

Good luck!
That would be even worse, there's the steering in the way on RHD cars...

mattsplat72;1725958 said:
That was exactly what I needed, It says to remove the rear manifold instead of removing the turbo. Solves my problem. Thank you

Let us know how that goes for ya. I remember doing the Y-pipe in the car, that probably still tops my list of "least favorite" car operations I've done so far.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Shit with abs i have to pull the engine out a little to even get to the rear bolts coming up in a couple months.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
I tried once to remove the twins. I could have but damn it was really damn hard. I just pulled the motor out -.- Right now my SC300 with my 1JZ I pulled it out to clean the entire motor + new clutch.

Gt40881j

Mar 30, 2011
misery
you can remove just the turbos from their housings, takes about 20-45 mins per turbo, you have to unbolt the 4 bolts on the trans cross-member so you can jack up the trans tail until it hits teh body, this tilts the motor forward enough that you can get the rear turbo out. All you have to do is remove all the IC piping, remove the oil lines from under the turbo, and then undo the clamp holding the turbos on, then using a rubber mallet and a long extension tap either side of the turbo until it comes loose. its soo much easier than pulling the manifolds

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
^sounds like pretty clever advice... need to pull the radiator out first?

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
Gt40881j;1728167 said:
you can remove just the turbos from their housings, takes about 20-45 mins per turbo, you have to unbolt the 4 bolts on the trans cross-member so you can jack up the trans tail until it hits teh body, this tilts the motor forward enough that you can get the rear turbo out. All you have to do is remove all the IC piping, remove the oil lines from under the turbo, and then undo the clamp holding the turbos on, then using a rubber mallet and a long extension tap either side of the turbo until it comes loose. its soo much easier than pulling the manifolds

Good Idea, I will be doing this the next time I remove them. I ended up getting some obstruction wrenches from Harbor Freight
images

Made it super easy. Took about and hour with the info in the right up and the wrenches.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Someone made a wrench like that on purpose? Haha, that's pretty awesome, bet they come in handy!

87supraguy

Mar 4, 2010
Tucson, az
i have a set of those but didn't work for me to remove that one bolt... there wasn't enough clearance to fit the wrench on the nut... i had to remove the rear manifold. maybe your tools are skinnier mine are fattys. either way glad you got it off.

mattsplat72

is sofa king
Jan 17, 2006
^ I took the waste gate off of the rear turbo,and the vac connection off of the intake housing to get room for my hand I also had to come in from between the turbos. Next time I will be pulling the motor . I need to do the clutch, retap the bolt holes for the return y pipe, and find some seepage I am having. I end up with about a tablespoon of oil on the ground overnight. So it isn't serious, but it is annoying.