1j Rod Knock

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
This IS NOT a 1j bashing thread.
However just reminding people that you can get rod knock or blow head gasket on ANY engine.
Even a 1j or 2j.
Taken from SF.

ITR.00-1282;4840738 said:
So me and a buddy of mine (jdmJZA70) were having a little run on the highway with a new mustang GT when all of a sudden, his car stops making power in the high rpm range.

I let off the gas pedal (I was driving), and then the engine shut off and started making this horrible knocking sound that's all too familiar. spun a fucking bearing. We pulled the engine out and stripped it down and here's what we found:

000_0307.jpg

000_0298.jpg

000_0299.jpg

000_0302.jpg

000_0304.jpg

It only happened to the #6 rod bearing. Right after the knocking occured we checked the oil level and it was still at the full mark. Anyone know what could have most likely caused this? Bad oil pump? blockage in the crankshaft oil passage near the #6 rod bearing?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
^^^ You got that right...of course mechanical engineering means nothing to these types. And there's a couple of them running around here at present.

I actually like the 1J...it's not for me, but it looks like a good motor. It's big downside is the availability of parts...getting specific things from Toyota is a challenge.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Brewster said:
it's really not that hard to get parts for it.

Special order from Toyota? Or where? What kind if time frames are we talking about to get parts?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
jdub said:
Special order from Toyota? Or where? What kind if time frames are we talking about to get parts?
Well what do you need? When my first 1J bit the dust, I was able to have a replacement engine, gasket kit, and odds and ends parts I needed shipped to me just as quick as any other part. Even when I ordered parts overseas. Took just about the same time to reach my door as coming from in the US(except for maybe locally or something...

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Mostly I meant a part you need to get the car running ASAP...like suppose you blow a freeze plug and you want to use OEM Toyota, how long does it take to get?

BTW - just out of curiosity, what caused your first 1J to bite the dust?

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
Joe was running too much boost untuned. He wasnt aware. 20+ PSI joe?

Detonation and pop, down goes a 1jz.

A freeze plug? Im not sure what I could get that off of. Probably needed from Japan

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
jdub said:
Mostly I meant a part you need to get the car running ASAP...like suppose you blow a freeze plug and you want to use OEM Toyota, how long does it take to get?

freeze plug? idk. depends if it can be sourced from another engine or not. and if not, there's enough 1Js sitting around in the US. I'm sure if you posted a need for it someone would be able to help you out.

nasty boost spikes, detonation and all that fun stuff killed my 1J. It wasn't done on purpose. The ECU I was using didn't have any limiters, so while tuning the boost controller, the engines will quit before mine since there was no fuel cut to save it. I was only trying to aim for ~15-16psi.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
jdub said:

With something like that I would call up Champion Toyota and see if they could get one airmailed from Japan. Most common parts that fail are used on other Toyotas or can be found on ebay and the forums.

At the moment everything but my 1JZ is the problem lol.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Yeah, detonation will kill ANY motor too. Sorry to hear that Joe.

The reason I asked about freeze plugs is my 7M blew one...I was able to go down to the dealer that day and get it. Car was running the next day. Not a slam on the 1J...like I said, it sure looks like a good motor and a good friend of mine is having Aaron install a 1J in his '89 Supra even as we speak. In fact, I pointed him to the guys at Drift Motion.

So, is there a list some where that cross references parts for other Toyota motors for use on the 1J?