1j mk3 wont start, over-fueling

HLVW wrecker

Dec 27, 2009
edmonton
up here in the frozen wastes that is edmonton alberta, my car sits with a no start issue.

spec's on car

'90 1jz-gte MK3, Mine's ECU.

swapped ot new plugs, smae gap, still over-fueling. Is there a way to check to make sure the igniter is doin its job? same with the coilpacks(or just pull them in pairs with the plugs in and watch for spark?)

bored on a christmas eve tryin to get my baby started for once in 3 weeks(been to cold to bother with it)

Thanks for the help in advance

JPsToyota

Sep 17, 2008
East-Central, FL
You can just pull the packs up like you say (holding the tops) and keep them near the motor/plug galleys, the spark will arc to the nearest metal so they are easily checked. Don't shock the shit out of yourself.

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
haha fuel trim man. Check voltage/resistances at all your major modifiers. o2, temp, throttle, map. I've also seen this when people wire in power to the sta terminal. Cranking is a major one!

HLVW wrecker

Dec 27, 2009
edmonton
checked voltage at coils at both wires for each coil = 11.7, checked voltage at ignitor = 11.7, had the wife crank it over while checking for spark and no spark. Is there a serviceability test that can be done on the ignitor?

HLVW wrecker

Dec 27, 2009
edmonton
well, after swapping out for a good igniter i decided to pull the ecu, cause its a known issue with 1j ecu's leaking'n stuff

after smelling it and examining it i found this with the Prom chip

p1654275_1.jpg

p1654275_2.jpg

so right now my options are 1:get a stock jza70 ecu and test again, or 2: get the harness for my aem, install it and go from there. fuck winter

r45marsh

Old MotorHead
Sep 22, 2007
Huntsville,Alabama
A Good Tech might be able to reattach something to the broken pin and downlowad the code to another PROM. Cause?, probably wasn't seated right in the first place. More likely previous owner botched a copy procedure and never replaced/handled it properly.

HLVW wrecker

Dec 27, 2009
edmonton
a member on SF said it could either be caused by the chip not being seated properly in the 1st place or alot of heat causing it to crack. I was told i could get a replacement chip, but i have no idea where.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

r45marsh;1654440 said:
A Good Tech might be able to reattach something to the broken pin and downlowad the code to another PROM. Cause?, probably wasn't seated right in the first place. More likely previous owner botched a copy procedure and never replaced/handled it properly.

I took it to a cb shop and the tech there said that there is not enough metal there to attempt a reattachment. the heat from the soldering gun would have a good chance of damaging the PROM

r45marsh

Old MotorHead
Sep 22, 2007
Huntsville,Alabama
Try again. The PROM is identified by the numbers below the MINES sticker. You should be able to google it and find a replacement. It looks to be fairly common. I wouldn't take no for an answear. But if a tech said it can't be done, be assured he doesn't have the skill to do it. The broken pin doesn't have to be physically connected, someone should be able to press a straight pin against the PROM section long enough to download the code. It might be possible to solder a straight pin to the broken (detached) pin and press it to the PROM long enough and secure enough to download the code. NO heat envolved for the PROM. It's a shame to see a $5-600 ECU trashed by a $10 part.

Alternative, Contact MINES for a replacement chip w/code.

HLVW wrecker

Dec 27, 2009
edmonton
well he was able to fix the chip, but im still not gettin spark(for some reason the coils aren't bein grounded)

just pulled the codes and the only one that came up was

21 Oxygen Sensor Signal

Diagnosis

* Detection of oxygen sensor deterioration.

Trouble Area

* Oxygen sensor circuit
* Oxygen sensor
* ECU

I don't see how this would keep the engine from starting

Last edited:

HLVW wrecker

Dec 27, 2009
edmonton
another thing is that the V. gauge in the dash only reads 10V while the battery at its posts has 13V, i think i might have to take the dash apart and see what i knocked loose/shorted by smacking the dash