1j driveshaft difference

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
I conform what bkma71 is saying
I slid my w58 DS in last night it goes all the way in but then the carrier bearing wont bolt up then it's short in the back by 2 cm. I figured it might make it weak as the ds not being loaded buy the full length of the output shaft.

so when i put my r154 in after rebuilding it what DS should i use in a 89?

staticpage

Banned: Scammer, liar, cheat and thief
Oct 3, 2007
Cincinnati
Jeff Lange;1343552 said:
How did you slide a W58 shaft in? They have different splines on the front yoke?

Jeff

It's a w58 trans and a w58 drive shaft thats how. it's just to short.
i am afraid that when i get my r154 set up together it will be the same, sort and If i make any power like i want to I'll strip the splines from the shaft or trans.

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
I had no issues with my Ma71 DS when i did my 1J swap and did not notice any issues. What i think we really need is a canadian with a full JZA70 to remove there DS and measure it to see if we can confirm the difference. Maybe Garage Fuji can chime in here even.

Jeff why is it that only the second set of numbers are different for those parts could it just be country related more then part related?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Not country related. All those numbers are from the Japanese A70 catalog.

The Japanese MA70 used the same parts as our MA70.

Next time I'm under a real JZA70, I'll measure one. I should be able to get under a TT-R in the next week or so... though may not UNDER it... we'll see.

Not sure why it really matters though, since clearly the MA70 shaft works; I guess having more spline is always nice though.

Jeff

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
this thread is old, yes.. but I thought I would post some pics of the GENUINE JZA70 shaft taken directly from a TT-R. This particular shaft also includes the newer style carrier bearing (believe the same ones used on certain mkiv models)

this pics are of another shaft, but I have an identical one sitting right next to me as well:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

SC300 bearing:
p1796141_1.jpg

Last edited:

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
I'm running the same 1-piece AL DS that was on my 7M, now on my 1JZ. No leaks or any issues what so ever, taken RPMs up to ~8500 once or twice too.