1J Crank Pulley + Napa Socket =

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
:aigo:
I can't get it off. 1/2" breaker bar, socket, extension, 2 foot pipe, and a support under neath the rachet head so it doesn't move. Have to borrow a compressor + impact gun now. Am I missing something here? Are they reversed threads?

Supra&

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Not reverse thread... but daaayuuum!

Try again with a Craftsman (or better) socket. Maybe use an impact one, since they are much sturdier. Is the engine still in the car? Us the starter/bump method. Has worked EVERY time, as far as I know.

Basically you brace everything... Socket/ratchet on the bolt with the breakerbar portion on the ground, towards driver's side (if I remember correctly). Once you have everything ready, just turn the key to start (but don't start it completely). You just want the starter to turn the crank (maybe a half-turn), while holding the pulley polt in place. It can be scary, since when one of mine was really suck, it almost looked like the force lifted the front end a bit more than I expected.

Zach

ECUMaster USA
Apr 6, 2005
TX
You're not missing anything, you're just using a crap socket on a bolt that's torqued from the factory to 180 ft. lbs. and is who-knows-how stuck. Get a good impact socket and use the starter bump trick and you'll be fine.

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
Thanks for the info guys! Engine is on the stand right now, so can't do the starter trick. I have a couple better sockets in the garage, but haven't had the time to try it again.

di_rosa

never ending project ...
Apr 2, 2005
toronto
one time the starter method didn't work on my old 7m, so what i did was position the pipe 180 degrees back so the engine would turn half way and build up some momentum before the bar hit the ground, and that got her to go.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
my kmart set i have had for 10 years has never broken a socket or ratchet or anything! And it has a lifetime warranty. It got that bolt off with the starter trick with ease.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
di_rosa;1118221 said:
one time the starter method didn't work on my old 7m, so what i did was position the pipe 180 degrees back so the engine would turn half way and build up some momentum before the bar hit the ground, and that got her to go.

that sounds like a reallllllly bad idea... a breaker bar swinging 180 degrees to hit the ground

apexi287

Jul 24, 2005
Knoxville, TN
It seems everyone has a different experience based upon what clip they get, when I tried to get that bolt off it took a lot I had to heat it with a torch before it would come off and i was using a ingersoll rand impact gun and it was there high end gun. Try and torch it and heat it up it'll help out a lot.

crazysupra2JZ

Nov 16, 2006
Georgia
hell, i used a craftsman breaker bar and an impact socket. i used a 6 foot steel pipe for leverage. it worked the 2 times i had to do it. the breaker bar hasn't broken yet.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
Yeah mine is a bitch too... 500 ft/lbs from my impact wouldn't get it off on the engine stand, then when the engine was in, the starter trick wouldn't work. Had the battery on a charger overnight to ensure maximum falcon punchability, yet the thing wouldn't move after 15+ hits.

I suppose my crank pulley is staying put for now, and my new timing belt will remain new for a bit longer.

Oppie1

I Love Money Pits
Sep 17, 2006
Albany, NY
www.ryanoppelt.com
GotTurbos?;1118649 said:
Yeah mine is a bitch too... 500 ft/lbs from my impact wouldn't get it off on the engine stand, then when the engine was in, the starter trick wouldn't work. Had the battery on a charger overnight to ensure maximum falcon punchability, yet the thing wouldn't move after 15+ hits.

I suppose my crank pulley is staying put for now, and my new timing belt will remain new for a bit longer.

Holy Sh!t! I hope mine isn't the same way. Still waiting for the compressor and impact. If I wasn't so broke at the moment from buying other stuff, I would just go buy a compressor and gun. Borrowing will work for now...

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Oppie1;1119223 said:
Holy Sh!t! I hope mine isn't the same way. Still waiting for the compressor and impact. If I wasn't so broke at the moment from buying other stuff, I would just go buy a compressor and gun. Borrowing will work for now...

Of all the stuff Ive bought over the years, some cheap stuff that didnt last to good quality tools...my cheap air toll setup was by far the single best purchase. If I have to take off a wheel with a 4 way now I bitch and moan and find excuses not to do it. I could NEVER go back to not having air tools.

and I only have $400 invested in a compressor and tool set.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
Johnysupra;1120109 said:
What are you guys using to hold the crank ? When its on a stand that is .

if the flywheel is still on, you can use a big flat-head and lock it between a tooth on the flywheel and the stand.

there are also some specialty tools that will lock the flywheel into place...the one I have seen/used was a handheld tool that you hold to lock it in, but I can't find it online at the moment.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i use a prybar on the starter teeth through the inspection covers when i remove the bolt, or i use a spare driveplate i have and prybar.

use a larger breaker bar, i never had problems unless i did not have one but even with a small breaker bar w/ a pipe i still got the bolt loose. if its that hard i would buy a new bolt this one might be corroded (they are a few $ new)