1J Auto Transmission to 7M help :(

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Hey guys, last night I stayed up till 3:30 am at the shop swapping in a 1J auto transmission from a soarer. I changed all the electronics and swapped over the bellhousing and also the rear part to the drive shaft
(too tired to remember what its called) . Once done, we put fluid in and took it out for its first drive. It takes forever to get up to speed in first, then misses slightly on 2nd then recovers to 3rd and 4th once in 3rd and 4th it drives okay. So I went home fustrated and puzzled, went to bed at 4:30 am. Woke up today and everything seems right, so I decided to try something. I put the car in reverse, feels ok. I then shifted into L and the car shifts into first right away and I may be wrong but maybe 2? I get up to speed... I feel better the tranmission actually shifts right in L but I am puzzled on what to do to make this car driveable again... Please Help! I havent even showered yet :( I smell like atf....

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Did you even bother to shift through the gears after adding fluid before even moving the car, the trans is going to take about 8qts of ATF you need to check it when its hot. You were to much in a hurry to make sure everything was in order.