1G Wires and Filters and Belts

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Alright, I type like I talk (too much), so grab a beverage and settle in... :beer: This is for the 1G and GZ20 guys out there. Well, this is for anyone with something intelligent to contribute.:icon_bigg (Please, spare me the 7M/1JZ swap tripe. I'll worry about that in the future if the 1G goes titters but for the time being I'm getting decent mileage, turbo whine, and a car that's still fast enough to lose me my license. After lusting for a Supra for so long now, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth.)

First things first: TOYOTA CANADA ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT SUPPORT THE JDM MARKET. Rotters. Toyota is an option to me only if I can cross-reference with North American parts/motors, or if I use an independent importer "who has a buddy who knows a guy..." ('ll touch on that in a bit). Toyota Australia on the other hand, is an option. We'll see.

So I've had the 1G on the road for a couple weeks now; between the pre-parked-for-the-winter check, and changing the plugs and oil (Syntec 10W30 w/ a K&N oil filter) a couple days ago, she feels plenty strong and everything seems to be in good nick. The plugs had a good tan colour on them so that makes me feel a little better about a car with an unknown motor and a seller that doesn't know shit about cars.

The motor pulls strong all the way to 8000 rpm. The Ractive air filter looks clean, the mixture is good, new plugs, oil and filter and I just replaced a couple of the PS lines. Next on my list of mods is continuing with the basic maintenance checks and making sure that I have a good foundation for a car that will see a pant-load of abuse.

Next up on my list is making sure that the ignition is up to the task. Right after putting in the new plugs (NGK Platinum) I'm noticing a very slight miss in third and fourth gear around 5000 rpm (and not consistently either, and only ever at WOT), but on the flip side she pulls stronger from the lower revs and putters in first smoother. At this point I want to upgrade the dizzy and wires. Tonnes of searching tells me (correctly) that the spark plugs and oil filters from the 7M-GTE are the same, so that's a cheapish and easy solution from my local parts strore. However, I don't think I can use the wires from a 7M as the 7M wires are routed differently (different lengths etc).

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

But.....looking at the 5M from the MkII, it appears to be a very similar length and set-up to the 1G for wires (my cap and wires are the the right side, and the 5M cap and wires are the on the left side of the motor). Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone in North America had to upgrade their wires and or dizzy yet? Who'd you use? Part numbers? I hear that Bosch and MSD will have what I need, if I can get a part number. For that matter, I may be able to cross UK or AUS part numbers with some of the a/m companies.

I also want to change out the fuel filter, but I haven't found out yet if that is interchangeable with the 7M. I would assume so. I have to head to a real town on Monday, and while I'm there I'll hit a proper parts store and see if I can pick up a 7M fuel filter. If it doesn't fit I'll return it later. I found an importer who can get me a "genuine Toyota" fuel filter......FOR $150!! I have a list going of parts that are all interchangeable between the 1G and 7M, 3S and the 4AG motors, so I'm hoping to add some more to this list by the time this thread closes.

Thanks All, I'm looking forward to seeing what we can come up with here.

projectsupra

旧車スープラ
Apr 5, 2005
West Palm Beach, FL
s235.photobucket.com
Ash;1275798 said:
... However, I don't think I can use the wires from a 7M as the 7M wires are routed differently (different lengths etc)...

7M-GE plug wires.
I don't see a point in mixing aftermarket parts though, since there were more parts made for the 1G than the 7M and 1JZ. For OEM parts that will not cross reference (distributor cap/rotor button/gaskets, etc.) Jay Marks could get everything last time I asked.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
We don't have a large 1G user base here you might want to try ToyMods the Aussie site as quite a few of the guys run that engine and I know there's a Toyota interchangable part post over there.

Big Rob

Feb 26, 2006
Melbourne
I replaced my GZ20 HT cables a few years back with A set made by Magnecore brand. I took the originals down to a dealer and they just copied the original set. Ironically last night the crimp fell out of one them so I have to go back.

Dizzy I am told is available from toyota at a very reasonable price, the rotor button is also but lists at $339AUS:aigo:.

I have also had the miss you describe, it was a pain in the ass and I was not consistent more of a high load thing. Anyway most of it seemed to disappear when I closed up the plugs, just go by the 7MGTE specs and you'll be fine.

The oil filter is same as a corolla and celica I believe, just pull it off and take it your parts shop. Also the fuel filter is in a really gay position above the differential, again your parts shop will be able to match it with something else.

Ash

Greased-Up Deaf Guy
Dec 27, 2008
Grand Forks, BC
Groovy, thanks guys. That's a start with the wires. I figure worst case scenario, I can pull the dizzy and the wires and walk the ten minutes to my local parts store and see what the closest thing they can source for me is.

ProjectSupra - when you say 7M-GE wires, do you mean that those particular wires will work for my 1G?

IJ - I have also registered with the SupraForum AU site, but I wanted to try here first, as I was hoping someone already in the US or Canada has had to replace belts or wires. Besides, everyone here types better and it's easier to navigate when I'm doing my research.

Big Rob - I'll double-check my the gaps on my plugs. If they're a tiny bit off that might explain the inconsistency with the miss.

And at the very worst, I have already been in touch with Castlehill Toyota and they can get me whatever I need; I just need to prep my wallet for what is likely to be dear pricing, especially freighting it all over.

Thanks again guys; I appreciate you taking the time to read a novel of a simple question and help me out.