1991 Turbo Hardtop on eBay?

757_supra

Ich bin das boost!
Mar 3, 2012
US
73 year old, meticulous mechanical engineer story is struggling with a) filthy seats that have been given a deep, recent clean up. I still see big stains on the upholstery b)remnants of custom intercooler piping, which is barely mentioned in passing, on the notes c) very nice aftermarket 3 inch exhaust system, maybe the Tanabe, iirc, which can easily pass for stock d) DIY aftermarket power wiring for trunk subwoofer. Trunk carpet still shows marks from a sub box sitting on there e) i see what looks like a Bosch bov on there. Not a huge deal, but i think an older mechanical engineer would've put on the stock bov, if the original went bad. Unless.. f) there's a boost controller, a hose for which i see resting on the passenger side strut tower and.. g) unexplained rocker panel and inexperienced lockout damage on passenger side window frame.

Stuff happens, but if a car is to bring top price, top condition and full disclosure are reasonably expected. In general, most stock, 7M's that are gently driven at stock boost levels (not explicitly mentioned here, but it looks like there is/was a boost contrller on) by old men don't often get bhg at 104k miles. In general. Whatever. It's not a bad car, and i love all Supras, but I'm wondering if im the only one who's seeing this.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
suprarx7nut;2073820 said:
Wow, not many that clean left - especially hardtop turbo. Shame it has cloth interior, non-shadow grey.

Isnt that Shadow Grey?? It looks like my '92 black hardtop with shadow grey cloth?

One thing I can say about leather is that the surface is slippery with spirited driving. This has a lot to do with it in Japan which they prefer cloth or swede.

I have a great interior guy that can do an EXACT shadow grey leather if I ever wanted to do it.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
I bid on that and was high bidder for a little while at around $7500. It wasn't until after I got to a desktop with a big screen I began to question my decision. The guy was selling for the widow of a friend who had died. He said the car was completely stock except for the air filter. Well, when I started looking closer at bigger pictures I realized the car was not "stock". It had an HKS Turbo Sport cat-back on it ( not a bad thing ), but I was noticing things in the engine bay that made me curious also. I can't remember exactly what but it was just obvious to me things we not "stock". The old man had written a 3 page letter to the mechanic who installed the engine and they make it sound like it was a new shortblock from Toyota, which again, not a bad thing. Anyway he was concerned about keeping power to the computer so wondered if he was using a stand alone or something.
Long story short I retracted my bid since the car was in New Jersey and I'm in Texas. Had I been able to go look at it to answer some questions I might have kept bidding but as it was I couldn't and I am not ever going to buy another car that someone else has modified. Any mods to a car I own will have come from me. Now had it been in provable factory condition with no mods, I'd own that thing right now. I was ready to keep bidding.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
757_supra;2073825 said:
73 year old, meticulous mechanical engineer story is struggling with a) filthy seats that have been given a deep, recent clean up. I still see big stains on the upholstery b)remnants of custom intercooler piping, which is barely mentioned in passing, on the notes c) very nice aftermarket 3 inch exhaust system, maybe the Tanabe, iirc, which can easily pass for stock d) DIY aftermarket power wiring for trunk subwoofer. Trunk carpet still shows marks from a sub box sitting on there e) i see what looks like a Bosch bov on there. Not a huge deal, but i think an older mechanical engineer would've put on the stock bov, if the original went bad. Unless.. f) there's a boost controller, a hose for which i see resting on the passenger side strut tower and.. g) unexplained rocker panel and inexperienced lockout damage on passenger side window frame.

Stuff happens, but if a car is to bring top price, top condition and full disclosure are reasonably expected. In general, most stock, 7M's that are gently driven at stock boost levels (not explicitly mentioned here, but it looks like there is/was a boost contrller on) by old men don't often get bhg at 104k miles. In general. Whatever. It's not a bad car, and i love all Supras, but I'm wondering if im the only one who's seeing this.

Nope. I was seeing it too.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
suprapilot;2073832 said:
Isnt that Shadow Grey?? It looks like my '92 black hardtop with shadow grey cloth?

One thing I can say about leather is that the surface is slippery with spirited driving. This has a lot to do with it in Japan which they prefer cloth or swede.

I have a great interior guy that can do an EXACT shadow grey leather if I ever wanted to do it.

Oh, i suppose it might have been. The link seems dead now. I know I've made that mistake before - thinking cloth shadow grey wasn't shadow grey. I think the trim in the door panels in leather cars looks far better. My car is cloth and it just isn't as nice. I'll look to re-upholster in suede/leather if I keep the car long enough.

rhs

Sep 21, 2014
Dallas
757_supra;2073825 said:

Gonna remember some of these things for the next time I buy a car. Good eye. I'm not familiar with 7Ms, but the air filter and exhaust didn't exactly scream 73-year-old to me.

I've been burned in the past. Bought a shell that supposedly had no rust. I didn't take a magnet to the rocker panels. They were toast. It worked out in the end and I was able to use the shell to fix the damage on my original supra, but lesson learned.