1991: 5.25" Front Stock Speakers???

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
I was going to replace my front speakers in my 91. I'd heard all MkIII's were 4" fronts, but then I saw the Year Changes thread which said they changed to 6.5's in 91. I'd only pulled the grill once before and didn't remember them seeming that big, so I just ran out and checked. Welllllll, unless I'm a retard and am missing something about how to measure speakers (which is quite possible, but I thought its just the cone+surround diameter), mine are 5.25" w/ little (I'm guessing .5") tweeters. They look stock, and sound crappy enough to be stock, so I'm assuming they are. Car is a 91 model yr, manuf Dec 90. Anybody have any idea if there was a 5.25" option?

Isn't that 5.25"?
p448532_1.jpg

Do they all come w/ tweeters?
p448532_2.jpg

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
My 91 came with tweeters. My 91 also came with 6.5" speakers. I know they're 6.5s, I've replaced them......

Do your doors have the revised grilles on them? It's posible your car was during a transition or something. I'm sure Jeff Lange would know this......

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
I have no idea what the difference in grills are. Here's the best pic of the grills I have. Do you know what they are?
Yeah, I was hoping Jeff might drop by this thread and give us some insight *hint hint* ;-)
I'm basically just wondering if it will be hard to mount 5.25's or if there was some short period they came like that. I'm hoping some retard didn't just ghettorig something up to kinda sorta work.

p450845_1.jpg

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
They are 6 1/2"

They all have tweeters, 89+ have tweeters. In 89 rthey door panels have a mini grille for tweeters, In 1990 when the huge 61/2" speakers were introduced, they grilles jsut got retarded huge and eliminated the little grille.

Thoes are also stock, yes

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Yeah, that's the redesigned grille. The older ones only came down to the bottom of the handle. (which IMO, looks more natural)

It has to be a 6.5" speaker in that thing. If you take the door appart, and measure the distance from screw to screw around the edge, you'll get 6.5".

xrated89

Sep 12, 2005
Canada
my 89 had no tweeters just a 4" speaker the "tweeter whole" had a tube behind it
it was set up like a ported sub box

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
annoyingrob said:
Yeah, that's the redesigned grille. The older ones only came down to the bottom of the handle. (which IMO, looks more natural)

It has to be a 6.5" speaker in that thing. If you take the door appart, and measure the distance from screw to screw around the edge, you'll get 6.5".
Oh. I thought speakers were measured as the diam of the cone...I gues that could throw me off then :biglaugh:

Thanks guys, sorry for noob question.