1990 Turbo Supra with 3k miles for sale?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yeah this is what Hagerty lists them as:

Current Values
#1 Concours $17,200
Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."
#2 Excellent $11,400
#3 Good $6,500
#4 Fair $3,300

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Well, Hagerty hasn't had many #1 vehicles to base the market on, I bet. This is probably the single best preserved mk3 we've seen up for sale in recent years, is it not? There have been some really low miles cars and some very well maintained, but never this mint and never this few miles.

When this thing sells, Hagerty may take notice and update that value...

Edit: Also, It's at $37k, reserve not met and 4 days left. 70 bids, 4-6 different users bidding over $20k. Amazing.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Isn't there another MKIII that was stored somewhere in a Canadian Toyota Dealership?
Or was that sold off?

I would like to meet the person that set the reserve price to understand how he could have predicted the price would rise this high...

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Isn't there another MKIII that was stored somewhere in a Canadian Toyota Dealership?
Or was that sold off?

I would like to meet the person that set the reserve price to understand how he could have predicted the price would rise this high...

I don't think it ever sold

http://www.teamimports.com/2016/11/canadian-toyota-dealer-still-has-brand.html

Interesting that it says "To ensure its seals and gaskets don’t become brittle the car is started, by the owner, once every two weeks and the oil is changed after hours on the showroom floor every 3 months."

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Ah yeah there it is.

Thats the one that should be going to Barrett Jackson.
Even has the plastic on the seats still.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Ah yeah there it is.

Thats the one that should be going to Barrett Jackson.
Even has the plastic on the seats still.

I always thought the asking price was stupid high on that Canada one. After seeing this recent ebay listing though... turns out it wasn't/isn't so stupid. After all, that is probably the only one of its kind. 3k miles is impressive, but 92km or whatever that Canada one has is an entirely different level of "new".

I will say, though, I think part of what's holding values down on these cars are current owners. When I listed my 340k mile GTE swapped 90 for $10k or whatever it was I got plenty of laughing responses and people telling me it was worth $3k... Then I sold it for $8k relatively quickly. For a 340k mile 90 NA targa chassis. I think the current crowd (maybe the past crowd at this point) of mk3 owners seems to enjoy keeping values as low as possible by degrading any new listing that's priced a little high.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
I think the current crowd (maybe the past crowd at this point) of mk3 owners seems to enjoy keeping values as low as possible by degrading any new listing that's priced a little high.

This seems oddly self-defeating and pointless unless it's to save a few pennies on insurance. Am I missing something??

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I believe this is due to a large portion of the MKIII owners are broke and can't afford anything more than cheap.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
@four hundred-one thousand bucks!: reserve NOT met,..at least not yet.

Just wondering: if/ when this car gets to Barret Jackson, wondering if it's a mistake not to have a reserve.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
@four hundred-one thousand bucks!: reserve NOT met,..at least not yet.

Just wondering: if/ when this car gets to Barret Jackson, wondering if it's a mistake not to have a reserve.

Wait... four hundred thousand.. :)
Simple typo.

But yeah fourty thousand is crazy high. That's in MKIV territory.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
This seems oddly self-defeating and pointless unless it's to save a few pennies on insurance. Am I missing something??

I completely agree and just as stumped as you.

I believe this is due to a large portion of the MKIII owners are broke and can't afford anything more than cheap.

I suspect this is it, though I think it's a bad premise. Once you've got the car, I think you would want values to skyrocket. It's not like the maintenance items are going to get more expensive, or that your insurance will spike. Nobody benefits from the chassis being cheap except for new buyers. The market overall suffers as more and more of them get abused by cheap owners.

I don't know. I don't get it. I would expect (and I think I see it in other enthusiast groups) where when someone posts a clean car for sale with a high price tag, they simply say, "Wow, clean car, I hope you can get that much for it!" Instead, in the mk3 community the general response is "You're an idiot to think it's worth that much. Mods don't increase value. This isn't a classic, etc..."

I'm hopeful that will all change in the next few years. Perhaps it already has.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Same here, though I don't plan on ever parting with mine.

Would be nice to see values climbing on these in the future.
Maybe then the parts I build will have more demand than just a trickle... :D

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Yeah $401,00 I moved the comma over one number to the right to see if anyone would catch that, and someone did.

Just my opinion: Kinda wondering if mark fours are 40,000 because of the movie. When I buy parts for my mkiii, I tell the parts dude it's not the Fast/ Furious model, and I tell them it's the model before it and the next thing I hear is,... "OH" I wonder what would happen if a mark III was in F and F, instead of a Mkiv, I wonder if I get a different reaction, like wow you have a Supra?!?!??? I just think F/F put the mk4 on the map and so it's worth more because of the movie.

Last edited:

Hybrid

Supramania Regular
Jan 3, 2008
Australia
This is quite easy to answer.

90% of the world supply are either trashed, modded, tired, rusty or high milage, due to the fact they have been cheap as chips for the last 20 years.

Toyota has pretty much discontinued everything making restoration exceptional difficult if not impossible, so the only way to get a "mint" example is when something like this comes up.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com

90% of the world supply are either trashed, modded, tired, rusty or high milage, due to the fact they have been cheap as chips for the last 20 years.

Toyota has pretty much discontinued everything making restoration exceptional difficult if not impossible, so the only way to get a "mint" example is when something like this comes up.

I'd bump that figure to 95-99%, but I guess it depends on your threshold for what's clean.

For restoration, I'm thinking the only things that are really not refurbish-able are the rubber seals for the interior. Even then... I'm sure with a bit of an investment (~$10k per piece) you could have a mold made.

How do the 240z's deal with that sort of stuff?

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area
I saw this 1990 on eBay when it came up but just saw this thread about it. This car is worth 50k+ all day long . There are quite a few A70 enthusiasts globally that want and are wiling to pay for new parts that are NLA and cars with very low miles from the original owner. I absolutely love the interior color! In fact more so then my mint shadow grey on my 92' Black Turbo. I like contrasts my self in colors. It is so boring to have a black interior I also love the tan on black cars as well. I had a Toyota enthusiasts offer me 25k and tried many times to buy my Teal car but I'll never sell it ever. I also own and have owned a few A80 turbo cars and I would take an A70 over the A80 and this comes direct from an owner of both. If the car is not original paint and must have a crack free and mint interior to be worth $$. There is a 92 Turbo locally on CL posted yesterday. It has 166k miles but dashed in cracked for $4300. I wanted a nice parts car with a perfect dash so didn't buy it. Had that car been very nice garaged keep 166k miles it would be worth 12l easy and sell.

suprapilot

Dec 30, 2014
Los Angeles Area

You got it! I wish there was a like button!