1990 Turbo Supra with 3k miles for sale?

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Haha.
Wow.

Has the hideous red interior too!

"THE ONLY THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN CHANGED ON THE CAR ARE THE BATTERY AND THE THREE-PIECE BBS WHEELS WHICH WERE ADDED WHEN CAR WAS NEW"

Based on the color of the fluid in the brake reservoir I wonder if any fluids were ever changed.
Could be a nice buildup of rust and moisture in the engine/trans/diff/braking system.
Sounds like it was not maintained rather than stored.

If this was on Jalopink.
NP or CP
I would vote CP.

SupraKid

Jan 2, 2009
Santa Teresa, NM
Seen this too, was wondering the same, kinda looks like it was just stored. Hope all the fluids were changed at some point. When I worked At a Toyota dealer we had a customer with 15k miles on his mkIII refused to change tires or anything despite them being dry rotted

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Yep.
Would rather get one that was well maintained.

This one while appears to be in great shape visually will end up needing lots of work.
All rubber components are likely degraded and or dry rotted.
Tires
Subframe bushings
Suspension bushings
Ball joint control arm boots
Steering rack bellows
All new brakes and rubber lines
Motor mounts
Trans mounts
All rubber lines / hoses
Accessory Belts
Timing belt
Door seals
Hood and trunk stops
Ect...
This thing was stored in Arizona heat and low humidity.
Rubber does not magically stay in showroom condition just because it was stored.
It degrades the same as any vehicle.

The electrical system on the other hand is probably in great condition.
As well as no rust anywhere.
So it at least has that going for it.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Wonder what the reserve is, on my "watched" list. Too bad there's no market for foreign cars, "per say" (or at least not this car) at either Mecum or Barret Jackson auction I'd be curious it would bring.

Last edited:

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio
While I’m with you shoulder-to-shoulder on the Burgundy interior and I can’t argue with your assessment of the rubber components, Piratetip, I will point out that according to the records, this car spent its life just down the road from you in Chicagoland. That fact substantiates the theory this thing never saw a salty winter hometown road and only came out from storage for Leap Year Independence Day celebrations.

Koeningturbo—the ad says if it doesn’t sell on Ebay, it will at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale on Thursday (18 Jan). So we’ll all be able to see what you pay for it! :icon_razz Here’s the link: https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...:fssrdrvngkk&usg=AOvVaw3mtGsra4dRJWTwUvXC3LE0

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Yep.
Would rather get one that was well maintained.

This one while appears to be in great shape visually will end up needing lots of work.
All rubber components are likely degraded and or dry rotted.
Tires
Subframe bushings
Suspension bushings
Ball joint control arm boots
Steering rack bellows
All new brakes and rubber lines
Motor mounts
Trans mounts
All rubber lines / hoses
Accessory Belts
Timing belt
Door seals
Hood and trunk stops
Ect...
This thing was stored in Arizona heat and low humidity.
Rubber does not magically stay in showroom condition just because it was stored.
It degrades the same as any vehicle.

The electrical system on the other hand is probably in great condition.
As well as no rust anywhere.
So it at least has that going for it.

Thing is though, on your average MK3 up for sale, even some nice ones, they're going to have the following just as dry-rotted and worn out. Likely far worse than a stored car, I'd wager:

Subframe bushings
Suspension bushings
Ball joint boots
steering rack bellows (except the rack wont be brand new, it'll have 1xx,xxx miles on it)
brake lines
Motor mounts
Trans mounts
All rubber lines/hoses
Door Seals
Hood and trunk stops

Of the total mk3 used market I think an incredible slim percentage (<1%) would have the list above in better shape than a stored car. I've owned 4 Mk3s. By far the best condition chassis was the one 88 turbo that sat for 9 years before I got it. New tires, new battery, some gaskets, a few hoses and it was excellent. The door seals were far nicer than any other car I've owned. The mirror corners actually sealed worth a damn. The rear hatch sealed well and the latch was so satisfying. The door windows were still tight. All the others cars were complete and ok, just worn from usage. My current 91 has 170k miles and was pretty well kept, but everything is just... old. I'd pay $5k right now to magically have the "newness" of that 88 turbo barnfind chassis over my current 91 car now.

Sadly, the buyer for that 88 turbo was a kid that wanted something fast. He scared me a little on the test drive pushing the car a little too hard. He had the cash so I made the sale. A month or so later, he asked how to fix what sounded a lot like rod knock. I imagine he blew the freshly rebuilt motor in no time flat doing donuts and burnouts. I just hope he sold it before he wrapped it around a pole...

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
While I’m with you shoulder-to-shoulder on the Burgundy interior and I can’t argue with your assessment of the rubber components, Piratetip, I will point out that according to the records, this car spent its life just down the road from you in Chicagoland. That fact substantiates the theory this thing never saw a salty winter hometown road and only came out from storage for Leap Year Independence Day celebrations.

Koeningturbo—the ad says if it doesn’t sell on Ebay, it will at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale on Thursday (18 Jan). So we’ll all be able to see what you pay for it! :icon_razz Here’s the link: https://www.google.com/url?q=https:...:fssrdrvngkk&usg=AOvVaw3mtGsra4dRJWTwUvXC3LE0

That's an interesting piece of information.
If it didn't spend a majority of its time in the southern heat, components might be in better condition than I initially expected.

Somebody post up what this thing sells for, in case I miss it.
Will be interesting to see what the market values something like this for.
Could be a glimpse of the future value of these vehicles.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
My current 91 has 170k miles and was pretty well kept, but everything is just... old. I'd pay $5k right now to magically have the "newness" of that 88 turbo barnfind chassis over my current 91 car now.

Well put.
If the vehicle was mainly stored in a milder climate such as Chicago for a majority of its live vs. Arizona that could change things significantly.
It might be in great shape, but does the price justify it?
Depends on what people value.

Just the interior color alone is enough for me to say crack pipe, maroon is just awful.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Sure, I would love to have the quality of these cars when they were new, but I'm in the "I'd rather have a well maintained car that I can actually enjoy" camp over the "museum piece" camp. Turns out, driving cars is way more fun and rewarding than staring at them...

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Sure, I would love to have the quality of these cars when they were new, but I'm in the "I'd rather have a well maintained car that I can actually enjoy" camp over the "museum piece" camp. Turns out, driving cars is way more fun and rewarding than staring at them...

Well put.
I wholeheartedly agree.

Old Radar

Oct 20, 2014
San Antonio

Doing the first will, in time, give you the second!

149,731 miles as of today. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
^^^ Sexiest car I've ever seen with saw blades on them. Somehow your car makes it work. Thanks for sharing.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Looks like there are 5 or 6 serious bidders on this car based on the history.
30k and still climbing...
Reserve still not met.

Any ideas on what could possibly drive the price this high?
Is this a vehicle that has secret stores of drugs stored within its fenders?

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
"Is this a vehicle that has secret stores of drugs stored within its fenders?",..."LOL,... "Oh crap, I forgot all about it, thanks for reminding me, I wonder if the drugs are still good?"" ,.."Time to bid"!:evil2:

Breaking news: as of 6:00 a.m. the "reserve" is now "Blue" and not "red" minimum bid is "$30,450 or more", is that a clue on what the reserve is?