1989 7M-GTE 350 WHP+ Daily Driver

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
S.A. supra;1714875 said:
Answered the question asked. I wouldn't tell hem to get a fully built engine to make 350hp. Would you?

Not at all and not saying he should build to the hilt if that's not how he plans to use it...was just offering a different viewpoint to consider and, hopefully, be of some assistance. True enough, you answered the question asked and I wasn't saying you were wrong with my reply, so please don't take offense.

Ricmancan

May 15, 2011
toronto
Great thread, i'm on the same boat same rough horse power goals, but i have to do a rebuild. Can anybody comment on that rebuild set he posted. Thanks. I'm shooting for 400 whp tops.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
GarettH;1714823 said:
Any thoughts on what exhaust i should look into? Not looking to spend a fortune. And how much of a hp increase with a full 3"

Also what parts should i be prioritizing over others?
Rebuild -> fuel pump -> lexus afm -> safc -> wide band o2 sensor -> exhaust -> intake -> boost controller -> intercooler -> turbo?

First off...if you have any reason to believe you need to do a rebuild (fail compression test/leak down test/smoke blowing etc) then start with that...because if the motor breaks...you're other mods are useless.

Exhaust and Intake are next b/c you won't see the full potential of the lexus afm/fuel upgrades w/o having done them...and this is where you get the most bang for your buck for HP increase.

Next...you have to get the fuel pump/lex afm/o2 wideband/afpr all at once...otherwise you'll likely run lean and blow your motor.

Last is the intercooler, because you really can't use one (and for the most part a boost controller) w/o the lex afm upgrade...because you'll be hitting fuel cut constantly.

Based on this your priority should be:

1) motor (skip if your motor is fine) (210ish whp)

2) Turbo back 3" Exhaust/intake (260ish whp)

3) Fuel pump/afm/afpr/wideband/550's boost controller all at once (300ish whp)

4) intercooler (310ish whp)

5) I would go with piggybacks for fine tuning...at this point you should be pushing about 320whp maybe

6) Lastly, get a turbo: 50 trim ct26 for 360ish hp with the fastest spool speed and the most reliable ct26 turbo, 57 trim if you need to break 350 and get near 400 (but has somewhat aggressive behavior around 3500/4k), or go with a T4 setup if you need to break 400whp reliably. For a daily, I would skip the 60-1 CT26's IMO.

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
^^^Ding, ding ding. Winner.

If anything I'd add a step in between 2 and 3 that's just boost controller. You wont hit fuel cut until at least 12 psi and there's a lot of fun (mostly safe) power between the stock 7 psi and 10-11psi. :)

But definitely do the fuel management as soon as you go with lex afm/550's.

Supra0089

Jan 13, 2009
New Hampshire
suprarx7nut;1715127 said:
^^^Ding, ding ding. Winner.

If anything I'd add a step in between 2 and 3 that's just boost controller. You wont hit fuel cut until at least 12 psi and there's a lot of fun (mostly safe) power between the stock 7 psi and 10-11psi. :)

But definitely do the fuel management as soon as you go with lex afm/550's.

Yup...you could get a boost controller at any point...with intake/exhaust I was boosting 9/10psi (off stock gauge) so...in my case it wasn't necessary. Every car is different.

Wamphyri

May 22, 2011
Windsor
Fantastic information, helped me with my start-up i was just aiming for 400whp i thought it was going to be alot more work then needed. but i am going to do a engine rebuild this winter the motor is only 23years old and might want a rejuvenation :D guess i might need to aim a bit higher now any suggestions on the posted rebuild kit?