1988 Tom's C5 Supra

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
Anybody got any pictures of the Tom's C5 Supra produced in '88? I cant find any pics of it anywhere online. The one thread that had pictures here shows as being deleted :( Also is this thing rarer then the Turbo-A? I feel like too much MK3 history has been almost completely lost in time already...

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
Yeah that's like the most detailed thread that exists on the web about it? There are 2 pictures in the thread that seem to have been deleted? I was hoping there was an actual picture of it somewhere? I know some dealerships in Japan sold it but it seems to have been lost in time. Crazy that with such a huge Supra worldwide cult following that no one would have pictures of this thing or at least some connoisseur own one somewhere? So is it safe to say that the Turbo-A is actually not the rarest Supra produced for road use?
Piratetip;2013966 said:

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
I bet there is at least a few in collections someplace in Japan.
Hopefully nowhere near where the last Tsunami came through.
The trick is to find out where....

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
So is the C5 a road car and not a race car? I hadn't even heard of this until now and I'm what most would consider a Supra freak...

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
It was a road car. Think of how Saleen and Roush are with Mustangs. Toms sold modified version of the factory car along side them at dealers. I think theres a picture of one in one of my Japanese Supra books.

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
I found a pic of the Toms C5 Soarer that was also produced that year but can't find the Supra version? Apparently it had a weird different front end? Both C5 supra/Soarer where offered at select dealerships as a road car in Japan

Last edited:

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
That's a start!! I'm gonna keep looking for more info on it. Wish we could find a catalog for it or something? I wanna see the inside and rear end and under the hood! How can a car like this just vanish into history?!

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Small Info I gathered. The engines were rated at 300PS, Top Speed above 150mph. You apparently could purchase the upgrade kit.

IMG_5434.JPG

C5s had Carbon Fiber upper IC pipe, larger compressor housing with larger compressor wheel. Unique Toms turbo actuator, and a Toms chipped ECU. A custom stainless exhaust upgrade and apparently sported larger brakes as well as a TRD TEMS suspension setup. Of course the unique body kit as well and wheels.

1305003010162s0.jpg
1305003010162s1.jpg
1305003010162s2.jpg

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
I found this... This guy was linked on the Facebook Turbo-A page, and apparently he has a Toms C5 and apparently this is the rear end of it. This looks different from the first 2 pics posted of it? He said he owns a Turbo-A and a Toms C5!

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
Where the hell are you getting this info from? I couldn't find anything!
JDMMA70;2014125 said:
Small Info I gathered. The engines were rated at 300PS, Top Speed above 150mph. You apparently could purchase the upgrade kit.

View attachment 73492

C5s had Carbon Fiber upper IC pipe, larger compressor housing with larger compressor wheel. Unique Toms turbo actuator, and a Toms chipped ECU. A custom stainless exhaust upgrade and apparently sported larger brakes as well as a TRD TEMS suspension setup. Of course the unique body kit as well and wheels.

View attachment 73489
View attachment 73490
View attachment 73491

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
Turbo-@;2014129 said:
I'm pretty sure it was an '88? Says so on the Tom's website: http://www.tomsracing.co.jp/global/e/history/index.html

my mistake

Turbo-@;2014130 said:
Where the hell are you getting this info from? I couldn't find anything!

being able to use google.jp, type in what i want to search for in Japanese. Having a nice dad translate what I cant from the Japanese books I have on Supras. Being bored helps too

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Ah, OK. I hadn't ever heard about that until now. I never knew that TOM's made a street car Supra. I knew they made the Supra race cars back in the day, but didn't know that this was a thing. I made a thread here awhile ago with a whole bunch of pics of MK3 Supra race cars, and there were several TOM's ones in there, but I still never knew that they made an upgraded version of our cars for street use.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ginal-Supra-Racecar-Photos-(Lots-of-pictures)

Turbo-@

Jun 15, 2014
Moreno Valley, CA
Very cool pics! Yeah it's crazy that so little is known about this C5 Supra. I wonder how many were sold and what the price was? C5 Supra and C5 Soarer would be one rare car to own! Hell I'd be happy if I could at least get some detailed pictures and a scan of a freaking brochure!

Silver MK3;2014134 said:
Ah, OK. I hadn't ever heard about that until now. I never knew that TOM's made a street car Supra. I knew they made the Supra race cars back in the day, but didn't know that this was a thing. I made a thread here awhile ago with a whole bunch of pics of MK3 Supra race cars, and there were several TOM's ones in there, but I still never knew that they made an upgraded version of our cars for street use.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ginal-Supra-Racecar-Photos-(Lots-of-pictures)